Will you use your DIY flash diffusers outside of your house?

Aimevous

Mar 5, 2009
I made a flash diffuser recently and it sort of look ugly.

I was wondering how many of you have made similar DIY projects and would you use them outside, and also would you use them for covering simple events?

FYI, this is the link to the diffuser i made. I was wondering if I tape up the rear of the diffuser to be black, would it look better and more outdoor-worthy?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700103

Do you feel embarrassed or not looking professional? My concern is that it attracts attention of the subject too much. Even when I use a sto-fen omni-bounce that fits nicely on my flashgun, it immediately attracted the attention of some subjects, asking me "what is that white thing on your flash?" :confused:

dude, what's your concern here? the outcome of your shots with your DIY diffuser or people staring @ you? give it a go,have fun experimenting. don't make yourself feel belittled.

Tt's a real struggle...
even when not using ext flash, I use a puffer on built in flash...ppl are already amused by me..:confused:
I kept telling myself: They dunno anything about diffused flash:bsmilie:

Dun have to feel malu unless your DIY diffuser is made from translucent bra cup. ;)

I do bring my DIY Ring-light diffuser and DIY Umbrella softbox out. Being with friends does lessen the self-consciousness...

DIY Ring-light
3683657928_d6b24b2a6a.jpg

Test shot
3703548168_d111f0c1cf.jpg

As long as I get the shot I want and engrossed in it, stares be damned! ;p

I made my humongous diffuser from 3L milk bottle and shoot events and weddings with it - I can't do without it. lol.
People usually thought it was some pro flash add-on till they have a closer look and guess it might be milk bottle. Anyway, as long it does its job and deliver the pics, people usually won't be bothered by it, especially when they see the pics and know the price of the commercial counterparts. On the bright side, each time u raise ur camera, u'll ve no problem catching people's attention in wedding and events. lol. If u're concern, do a good job on the DIY

After a while, u'll be forgotten in the crowd once people re used to ur presence.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690083

I do bring my DIY Ring-light diffuser and DIY Umbrella softbox out. Being with friends does lessen the self-consciousness...

DIY Ring-light

Test shot
3703548168_d111f0c1cf.jpg

As long as I get the shot I want and engrossed in it, stares be damned! ;p

sponge cake container? mine's about the same size....lol

DIY Ring-light

As long as I get the shot I want and engrossed in it, stares be damned! ;p​

WOW...impressive!​

I was wondering how many of you have made similar DIY projects and would you use them outside, and also would you use them for covering simple events?

FYI, this is the link to the diffuser i made. I was wondering if I tape up the rear of the diffuser to be black, would it look better and more outdoor-worthy?

Why not? So long it works.. :)

wow thanks everyone for their reply =) really appreciate it!
And I think the ring flash looks great! I'm about to make my own one too, just looking for the right material now...

dude, what's your concern here? the outcome of your shots with your DIY diffuser or people staring @ you? give it a go,have fun experimenting. don't make yourself feel belittled.

My concern is that it might make my subjects uncomfortable and he may end up looking at it instead of my lens when taking photos.

I made my humongous diffuser from 3L milk bottle and shoot events and weddings with it - I can't do without it. lol.
People usually thought it was some pro flash add-on till they have a closer look and guess it might be milk bottle. Anyway, as long it does its job and deliver the pics, people usually won't be bothered by it, especially when they see the pics and know the price of the commercial counterparts. On the bright side, each time u raise ur camera, u'll ve no problem catching people's attention in wedding and events. lol. If u're concern, do a good job on the DIY

After a while, u'll be forgotten in the crowd once people re used to ur presence.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690083

wow the results look great on yours. Can you kindly show us how your diffuser look like? Do post it up on the DIY thread too! I think Clubsnap needs a dedicated DIY thread..

Because I was asked by a friend to cover an event, I was afraid some people might get quite turned off by my diffuser (see my link on the first post). But now after listening to what you said, I'm a bit more encouraged =)

Ya. From Daiso.
It's kinda squashed and torn now. V2 in the works with plastic bowl. ;)
Do post up a guide if possible! I'm always looking for interesting DIY projects to do. Feels more satisfying than just splurging on commercial ones.
----

Hmm truthfully, so if you guys look at the one I did, do you think it looks "LOL" if you see someone using it at an event? Your honesty is greatly appreciated =)

This is a shot by my client....
25831_339217702373_558627373_3753514_1049060_n.jpg

I like how ur design for the adaptor. Too bad, I can't put that into mine...

Well...for urs....I'll advise u to get a smooth bottle devoid of texture so that it won't scream bottle or DIY. With ur workmanship, I think u can do a better job than what I did with mine. I don't think mine look like a bottle from far....maybe it's just me and my ego....lol

Oh well if Gary Fong can convince thousands of photographers to put Tupperware and toilet bowl lookalike stuff on their flash at corporate and wedding events, I guess you can use your fruit juice diffuser too!

:)

thanks everyone for your compliments! Haha i was actually half expecting "LOL" replies actually when i started this thread. haha

I'll try and tape up and post the results here.

Actually I like the shape of this juice bottle except for the "2 LITRE" imprint that screams JUICE BOTTLE. haha.. wondering what I can do about it..

I've seen accounts of DIY projects that look just as good as, if not better than some commercial products.

Where appropriate, use whatever works for you. ;)

After all, only the results count, unless a certain 'standard' of presentation is required for certain assignments/groups.

A group of school kids/toddlers would probably 'appreciate' a DIY diffuser than most adults, but the Clients responsible for hiring a photographer may not appreciate their CEO staring hard and frowning at the photographer during his speech segment if DIY attachments go noticeably askew or fall off during his speech. :bsmilie:

A more important factor could be: How reliably would DIY attachments stay on and continue to work in a frenzied or fast-paced setting, or if someone bumps into you/your equipment?

I've seen accounts of DIY projects that look just as good as, if not better than some commercial products.

Where appropriate, use whatever works for you. ;)

After all, only the results count, unless a certain 'standard' of presentation is required for certain assignments/groups.

A group of school kids/toddlers would probably 'appreciate' a DIY diffuser than most adults, but the Clients responsible for hiring a photographer may not appreciate their CEO staring hard and frowning at the photographer during his speech segment if DIY attachments go noticeably askew or fall off during his speech. :bsmilie:

A more important factor could be: How reliably would DIY attachments stay on and continue to work in a frenzied or fast-paced setting, or if someone bumps into you/your equipment?

Thanks for your input.. so in your opinion, its usually the reliability of the DIY attachment and not necessarily how it looks (assuming it doesnt look overly ridiculous)?

....... may not appreciate their CEO staring hard and frowning at the photographer during his speech segment if DIY attachments go noticeably askew or fall off during his speech. :bsmilie:

a flailling translucent bra cup at a product launch or shareholder meeting will look odd ....