Will you still continue to use an outdated camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kian00

Sep 15, 2012
Singapore
Hi all,

I have an Olympus EP2 which I had bought back in 2009. Its still in good condition and I don't use it that much nowadays because its just so much more convenient to use the camera phone.

I am just wondering, given that the camera is already quite outdated, does it still make sense to continue using it for my travels or I am really just better off with using a camera phone. The alternative is to upgrade the body though I don't take a lot of photos nowadays.

Any comments on this?

Cheers,
Kian

If you dont take alot photos nowadays. Then why even waste money on upgrading. Unless you like to polish or admire the gear at home after work.

What you should do is to bring the EP2 out and take more picture if not then just sell it or give it to someone and stick to your camera phone. If that what works better for you.

I'm still using my Nikon D90, D700 but more of the Olympus EM10 because of its size and weight.
I think if you do not need shallow depth of field and not so into photography anymore, use iphone can already.

Yes, I will use an 'outdated' camera if it continues to meet my needs and requirements. If I own something else (it be another camera or a mobile phone) that works better for the task at hand, then obviously I will use that instead.

The question is - What are your priorities and what satisfies you? If the convenience of a cellphone is important to you, and you're perfectly happy with the images you can get with it, no reason to purposely use another camera for the sake of it.

If it's a sitting paperweight, you can consider passing it on to a loved one, or selling it off.

I will still use the EP2 as I have more controls over it. I can also change lens to suit my needs where else a phone cannot. EP2 is still capable of good photographs if you couple it with a good lens. If you want to take night photography, a bigger sensor is still the better choice. Anyway, camera model change evey 1 to 2 years so it is very easy to get outdated.
This is just my preference.

And here I am, still using my Nikon V1...

Update your skills is more important than update your camera.
That, makes a real different in your photos.[/QUO<script id="gpt-impl-0.9973959720662157" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_91.js"></script>TE]

That's what everyone says.. But the truth is that if you know how to take pics, then the better the body and the lens; the better your picture looks...

I was using a 7D with 18-35... Now using 5D with 24-70 2.8... Obviously using the same techinique, my pictures are of more quality and sharper than the other.

So camera does matter when you start improving

Last edited:
That, makes a real different in your photos.[/QUO<script id="gpt-impl-0.9973959720662157" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_91.js"></script>TE]

That's what everyone says.. But the truth is that if you know how to take pics, then the better the body and the lens; the better your picture looks...

I was using a 7D with 18-35... Now using 5D with 24-70 2.8... Obviously using the same techinique, my pictures are of more quality and sharper than the other.

Yup, camera matters in some situations when you know what you are doing. Because better technology allows you to do more. But giving technology too much credit is detrimental to getting better...

And when people talk about quality and sharpness... is that what makes a photo good? I would think content is.

BTW, there are some situations where a new camera does not really outdo an outdated camera much, especially in studio work.

If you didn't put at least 10K on the shutter counter you haven't got your moneys worth out of it yet. :)

I used a D7000 and an even older lens today. Haven't messed with it in months...today was fun. The rig's performance capability stills exceeds my skill level.

Last edited:

Sure.. That's why always say.. If you can afford and you want and you dont mind spending. Then just buy the best from what the brand is offering.
Because it can/may help alot if you know what you're doing or if it can make you a happier person. Why not.

(if it's a hobby.. you must be happy right?.. If its your job and the better gear can help you to earn more money. then probably it's better right?)

Whether a picture is good ornot or better. That is very subjective to each individual.. (point is.. old or new camera can take good picture, But can you?)

The point is nowadays Too many people are too concern over gears than taking pictures. Especially people who dont take pictures often or new to photography.
Hence old timer/seasoned/or rational togs always cant help but to emphasize more on " update skill is more important than update camera "

Upgrade until the gear is no longer the limitation for your photos, but you.

Hi all,

I have an Olympus EP2 which I had bought back in 2009. Its still in good condition and I don't use it that much nowadays because its just so much more convenient to use the camera phone.

I am just wondering, given that the camera is already quite outdated, does it still make sense to continue using it for my travels or I am really just better off with using a camera phone. The alternative is to upgrade the body though I don't take a lot of photos nowadays.

Any comments on this?

Cheers,
Kian

Nothing wrong with using an outdated camera so long as it still meet what you need...

OTOH, the images from phone camera of the recent years is quite good actually.... But of cos the image quality is not comparable to a dedicated camera system. But most of the time, it's the content of the photo that is important rather than the image sharpness/noise etc.

Hi all,

Any comments on this?

Cheers,
Kian

Yea, I am still using my Canon Eos 7D which I have bought 4 years ago.

I also have a Canon Eos 1D mark 4 to complement my 7D, as I had some EF lenses that could be put to better use.

As long as it works, just stick to it, as don't waste unnecessary money getting a new one, unless you are going to use it.

I send both my cameras in for basic cleaning and lens AF calibration once a year, and I still get extremely sharp images on my 7D even for a camera at this age.

My shutter count is about 52,000 and it is only about 1/3 of the 150,000...Shutters of Dslrs or mirrorless cameras should be equally reliable if it uses the same type of shutter with two curtains.

Last edited:
and i'm still using my Nikon F, F2 & Mamiya RB67
no batteries required.

Last edited:
My 350D from 2005 is still doing fine. I just got a Canon EOS 50 (also known as 'Elan IIe') for some film fun.

I just upgraded my cameras recently. I've been using the old ones for 8 years. In my case, I really need to upgrade my outdated cameras. So it simply depends on how old your cameras are.

Status
Not open for further replies.