Will you sell the very first lens you bought?

Will you sell the very first lens you bought?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuffRuff

Jan 10, 2007
opp. East Coast Park
I wonder if it is silly to be sentimental about lenses and how many people actually are.
Will you sell the first lens you bought? Don't count cheapo kit lens but expensive better kits (nowadays can choose which lens to buy) can count.

My first lens was a 17-40 f4L and was my ONLY lens for at least a year so I shot everything with it.
So I'm kinda sentimental towards it.
I now want to get 2 other lens that will better serve my purpose and I will need to sell this lens to fund them or get a cheaper lens.

But really feeling kinda sentimental towards this lens - I have had and used it for 3+ years now. My photography has grown and evolved together with it. I do find it hard to let go. On top of sentimental feelings, I also feel a tinge of guilt if I were to sell it. It's like betraying it and just passing it to someone else after it had loyally served me for so long and from the very beginning. Am I crazy or abnormal? I wonder how many have such sentimental feelings to their lens or equipment. :rolleyes:

Oh yes, I must also add that this lens will still be useful to have. However, it is not a necessity if I get the other 2 lens.
But if I don't want to carry 2 lens sometimes, this lens will be good to have and use.

Last edited:
i will not sell becos too many lenses, which is the first??:dunno::bsmilie:

So how about your first TV, first laptop, first watch, first spectacle, first pen, first pencil case, first bag, first shoes, first toothbrush, first ... ...? All still in your house? :bsmilie:

my first lens was also 17-40L too..
its about the 7th year already.. still like it alot.. haha.. Hope to keep it until the day I die, then it can tell alot of stories to my grandchildren... hahaha

So how about your first TV, first laptop, first watch, first spectacle, first pen, first pencil case, first bag, first shoes, first toothbrush, first ... ...? All still in your house? :bsmilie:

Yes my first girlfriend is still in the house.

:lovegrin: :lovegrin: :lovegrin: :lovegrin:

You have included 8 images in your message. You are limited to using 5 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

Last edited:
I wonder if it is silly to be sentimental about lenses and how many people actually are.
Will you sell the first lens you bought? Don't count cheapo kit lens but expensive better kits (nowadays can choose which lens to buy) can count.

My first lens was a 17-40 f4L and was my ONLY lens for at least a year so I shot everything with it.
So I'm kinda sentimental towards it.
I now want to get 2 other lens that will better serve my purpose and I will need to sell this lens to fund them or get a cheaper lens.

But really feeling kinda sentimental towards this lens - I have had and used it for 3+ years now. My photography has grown and evolved together with it. I do find it hard to let go. On top of sentimental feelings, I also feel a tinge of guilt if I were to sell it. It's like betraying it and just passing it to someone else after it had loyally served me for so long and from the very beginning. Am I crazy or abnormal? I wonder how many have such sentimental feelings to their lens or equipment. :rolleyes:

Oh yes, I must also add that this lens will still be useful to have. However, it is not a necessity if I get the other 2 lens.
But if I don't want to carry 2 lens sometimes, this lens will be good to have and use.

I'm sure your feeling is pretty normal. I have felt such attachments to my PC which I assembled myself and which I sold when I moved. Then again, you gotta move on right? In cases where attachment can be financial/emotional burden, you must let go. I say just get the lens you need and sell off this lens (unless you can afford to keep it).

Remember all the good pictures and good times the lens has given you, but don't feel guilty at letting it go because it will be in hands that need it more than you. The lens would be more than a lens, but a part of your every picture now that it has helped and accompanied in your attainment of photographic skills. Keep the lens always in your heart with thankfulness and appreciation, but do not hold onto it tightly with a lingering sense of yearning and doubt.

Sold it so long ago there were still dinosaurs roaming the Earth... yawn.

Sold to the gentleman with glasses over there :)

I never bought a TV.
First laptop was bought a few months back so still in use (I used desktop previously).
First watch in Primary one was used until spoilt. The watches that I bought are all still with me.
First spectacle - still have - kept in case cos I only needed it for lectures and I have graduated. Actually, this is one item I think I will not use anymore so I don't mind selling. But where to sell old specs??
First pen - used until no ink. Later on, I bought pens which can be refilled and I still have the pen - over 10 years already.
First bag - Primary one - think also used until spoilt (how long do you expect kids school bag to last?). First bag I bought - I still have and am still using my backpack from Sec school. Its an Eastpac and has lifetime warranty - I have sent it for repair twice cos shoulder strap broke.
First shoes - used until worn out and cannot be worn. In fact, I was very angry when my mum threw away my very worn out Nike shoes (first shoe I bought). I wanted to keep it despite being old, very dirty and worn out. I warned my mum not to throw away my shoes. I now have all my shoes - never thrown away any shoe. My Teva sandals for 10 years - soles came off finally but I got them sewn back. ;p
First toothbrush - dentist say should change every 3 months. I probably change every 6 months. First electric toothbrush - used for years until it spoilt (one day gotta comes to the end of its life).

What else you need to know?
Basically, unless the thing is spoilt or really worn out until super jia lat and cannot be fixed, I still keep and use them. I make every purchase very carefully and intend to use everything that I buy for life or until the product dies.

For this lens, I will still use it if I keep it. It's just that I will do ok without it too. I guess I will see if I need the money later on. I don't really want to sell it, but I would like to have the money. Sighhhh...

Last edited:
Assuming you do not need to sell it for money reasons.

Keep if it has sentimental value to you. It does not matter if the item is low in price or is no longer functional or has become obsolete.
You are keeping it for sentimental reasons.

For example, some people like to keep something their parent/s gave to them.
Especially if it is (late) parent.

If not sentimental reason, then no problems selling it.

But you need to think carefully whether you will need to use such a lens again.
You don't want to buy another similar lens again later on.

Note that newer is not always better.

Companies cut cost. Some stupid fools in the camera company want to show how clever they are in cutting manufacturing costs.
The NEW lenses of some companies look lousy beside their older versions.

But you need to think carefully whether you will need to use such a lens again.
You don't want to buy another similar lens again later on.

Note that newer is not always better.

Companies cut cost. Some stupid fools in the camera company want to show how clever they are in cutting manufacturing costs.
The NEW lenses of some companies look lousy beside their older versions.

Actually I am hesitant to sell it because although I can do without it, I will definitely make use of it if I have it.
To be specific, I want to get 10-22 f3.5-4.5 and 24-105 f4.
With this two lens, I don't need to have a 17-40 f4.
But, there will definitely be times when I don't want to carry 2 lenses out but just want to bring one lens - then 17-40 will come in handy.
But if I don't have 17-40, then I will just have to bring the 2 lenses and I can still get all the shots that 17-40 can get - just with the hassle of bringing 2 lenses.
So this is my dilemma.
I am not in desperate need of the money, but I can do with the money - if I don't have the money from the sale, I will have to do away with other things.
Its all a matter of compromise - and so this is my dilemma.

I agree, many new things nowadays are significantly poorer in quality than their older counterparts. But I doubt L lenses will suffer this as Canon has a reputation to maintain for their L lenses. L actually stands for Luxury. You don't call something a luxury good and cut corners in your production to compromise the product's quality. Hmm... I wonder if the new BMWs are worse than the old ones?

Sold a few lense to fund the next
inc. 18-55 kit, 50 1.8 and 24-70 Macro Sigma <---- ALL CANNOT MAKE IT...HAHAHHA

Sold a few lense to fund the next
inc. 18-55 kit, 50 1.8 and 24-70 Macro Sigma <---- ALL CANNOT MAKE IT...HAHAHHA

I have sold 50 1.8 to fund 50 1.4. The price difference was worth it!
Never got a kit lens and never got 3rd party lens.
I don't have any lens that I wish to sell... sighhh... but need to sell something to get funds leh... :confused: :sweat: :think: :dunno:

the very FIRST lens I bought after listening to CS'ers advise and postings (late 2002) ..... was sold within 4 weeks after I realized that most of the feedback was BS

Status
Not open for further replies.