will you rent a studio set up from a home? (multiple selections allowed)

will you rent a studio set up from a home?

Results are only viewable after voting.

pokiemon

Mar 5, 2005
just a show of hands if studio equipment is set up in a home, will you rent it for your shoot?

Last edited:
Hi,

thought I share my view.

If you set up a studio in your home, to be honest, there is more cons than pro to "rent" it out.

Here are just some of the reasons:
1. Security - unless your "studio" has a separate entrance
2. Image - it is important that your neighbour perceive your business images as much as your potential clients.
3. Flexibility - will you need to be around to rent your studio out?

Those are just on top of my mind.

Actually, it is not recommended to set up a studio at home unless there is a separate entrance and separate area to section off the "business" area if you want to create a business image.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Hart

no.

simple, how tall the ceiling can be? to add more, how much space between subject and back ground? lights? distance of subject to photographer? how about families members?

regards

HDB might not be suitable due to ceiling height and space.

However, if you are living in a condo or landed property, the possibility of setting up a home studio is feasible if the location is convenient to many.

Cos i am thinking of setting up one of my empty room, size: Length is 6m, width is 4m and ceiling height is 4m into studio.

Is the space sufficient?

Hi,

thought I share my view.

If you set up a studio in your home, to be honest, there is more cons than pro to "rent" it out.

Here are just some of the reasons:
1. Security - unless your "studio" has a separate entrance
2. Image - it is important that your neighbour perceive your business images as much as your potential clients.
3. Flexibility - will you need to be around to rent your studio out?

Those are just on top of my mind.

Actually, it is not recommended to set up a studio at home unless there is a separate entrance and separate area to section off the "business" area if you want to create a business image.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Hart

ya, it will be really inconvenient.

HDB might not be suitable due to ceiling height and space.

However, if you are living in a condo or landed property, the possibility of setting up a home studio is feasible if the location is convenient to many.

Cos i am thinking of setting up one of my empty room, size: Length is 6m, width is 4m and ceiling height is 4m into studio.

Is the space sufficient?

Not too bad in terms of space but if u factor in the flashes, effectively your studio space for shooting is only abt 2.5m at most. It's doable for non full body shoot using 50mm lens. If u r shooting natural light, the area is more than sufficient.

Hart

Someone told me it's illegal to set up a studio at home, esp HDB, as flats are not meant for commercial use.

Is that right?

Someone told me it's illegal to set up a studio at home, esp HDB, as flats are not meant for commercial use.

Is that right?

You can read more about URA regulation, this is govern by them.

there will be 'natural' props . . . like sofa, fridge etc . . . should be more interesting. :)

Hart is right.

if you plan set up a home base studio for own use, that is still doable,
renting it out is too risky, you can't really control what type people coming up and what kind of shoots will that be.
you will be safer to renting it out to friends that you can trust.

it is already quite affordable to go to a proper studio. my guess is it's between $35 - $60 /hr.
how much u wanna rent out from ur home base studio? $20? $15?

if u look at the returns on investment, even if u charge $30 (which is lower than most studio) - how many hours do u need to break even?
typical studio would cost around $8K-$10K. (very very basic) that's at least 200 hours of rental.
excluding electric bills and servicing issues.

added the risks involve. not economically feasible.

on the other hand, why not explore on renting out portable on location studio equipments?

i am actually thinking of the idea aloud since i have the space and the equipment.

it's more by the way thing. very casual.

home or industrial park............ how big is the studio, how high is ceiling and what comes with it during the rental

even as a renter, i also paiseh to get in the family's way so the area better be well away from family activities and crying babies

you are renting a home-bsaed studio or you want to rent out a home-based studio ?

i am actually thinking of the idea aloud since i have the space and the equipment.

it's more by the way thing. very casual.

How big is the area? How high is the ceiling? How much are you charging for a day? For a week? For a month? I may be interested.:cool:

home or industrial park............ how big is the studio, how high is ceiling and what comes with it during the rental

even as a renter, i also paiseh to get in the family's way so the area better be well away from family activities and crying babies

you are renting a home-bsaed studio or you want to rent out a home-based studio ?

I also forget to ask: is it soundproofed? :cool:

Other important questions to be asked and things to be dealt with other than security and legal issues.

Will it have invisible horizon (curved transition between floor and ceiling).

Matte white floor and walls?

Supplied lighting and types (ie constant, cold, flash)

Wireless control of lighting (you'll need various modules to cater for different camera brands and models).

Different brolly colours and sizes (gold, silver, white)

Softboxes (several different sizes)

Ringlights

Backdrops and stands (the more backdrops the better).

As for it being in a home, it will cater for the amateur market but probably won't get any professional attention so I'd not honestly be expecting to make much money from it.

Cheers
Ian

I am a bachelor & staying alone. My house is small but still I used it as a studio. I have been using studio lightings since 1996. Now I got a pair of Elinchrom Quadra minilights with softbox & brolly. It comes with a portable charger & 2 battery packs that I can bring to anywhere.
It's good to have your own studio. You can have real private shooting from single model to a small family shoot. I did quite a few lingerie shooting for some friends for their own collection. There's no privacy when you rent a studio & the cost is quite high. On the other hand I don't rent out my studio.