Will you relocate to China?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dawn

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
Hi

just a question - if u're offered the chance of a lifetime (well sorta) to go to work in China long term (say min. 1-2 yrs?), would u go, and why? ;)

Assuming u're still drawing salary in SG dollars (or watever currency your country of residence is using) - in other words, going as an expatriate....

Would u go?

PS: Photographically speaking, i can think of many reasons to go :)

Originally posted by Red Dawn
Hi

just a question - if u're offered the chance of a lifetime (well sorta) to go to work in China long term (say min. 1-2 yrs?), would u go, and why? ;)

Assuming u're still drawing salary in SG dollars (or watever currency your country of residence is using) - in other words, going as an expatriate....

Would u go?

PS: Photographically speaking, i can think of many reasons to go :)

China offers plentiful photographic opportunities - street and landscape mainly. ;) Getting a good lab there, etc might be a little hard. And of coz, since you are still drawing your current salary + whatever additional allowances, and the standard of living there is comparatively lower, you can potentially save a lot of money, come back, and get that dream camera. :)

Regards
CK

well, yeah!

China's the future. Great if you can speak Chinese.

Great working experience - culture, lifestyle etc.. esp. if you're a swinging single.

ASEAN will be displaced by China in the next 20-30 years. (Unless Indonesia gets its act together and get serious for a change)

The dragon has awaken no? Remember what Napolean said?

Many things to consider.

If you're single, unattached, can speak Mandarin (ie not from ACS), it might be an interesting way to spend a couple of years.

Be prepared for culture shock, though. China Chinese and Singapore Chinese are not exactly the same species. I know of at least one person who came back after working in Shanghai for a few months, because he "did not like the way business is done there" and the office politics.

If you have a girlfriend or wife or both, with children (from either), it's better to stay in Singapore.

If you live in the big city, things are not all THAT cheap. In fact, some things can be downright expensive.

But, yes, Shanghai and some of the other Chinese cities are probably the most "happening" places on earth right now.

Originally posted by rochkoh

ASEAN will be displaced by China in the next 20-30 years. (Unless Indonesia gets its act together and get serious for a change)

sorry to the indonesians on this forum (and elsewhere), but i don't think Indonesia can get their act together for ANYTHING.

they have had their chance at getting it right. now the world belongs to China, and to a certain extent, Hong Kong.

Singapore.....i wonder if we can pull ourselves out of the current rut and compete on even ground with China. it's going to be tough.

Originally posted by Red Dawn

sorry to the indonesians on this forum (and elsewhere), but i don't think Indonesia can get their act together for ANYTHING.

they have had their chance at getting it right. now the world belongs to China, and to a certain extent, Hong Kong.

Singapore.....i wonder if we can pull ourselves out of the current rut and compete on even ground with China. it's going to be tough.

arggg, now i know why you were looking for a China Girl friend, how was the last one you went out with? ;p

i think its a very very good opportunity. both work and photographically speaking!!

work in new environments, earn good money(I assume).
lots and tons of landscapes (think chinese kung fu movies/series)

tong ZHI!! if u go there send us photos to see!!

o ya, i think singaporean spoken mandarin and china spoken one sorta one day one night. duo duo bao zhong

China is full of diversities, in terms of geography, climate, people, culture, and values. For a Singaporean (esp. Singapore Chinese), being there for a few years could be a meaningful experience, IMHO. What I am saying here does NOT mean u will see fancy fancy things around, however, you will be certainly disappointed if u go with this impression. There are many kinds of things and people different from what you are familiar with. If you try to make judgement through a group of people, a city, or a trip, that would be the same story as how blinds judge an elephant.

I am from China. What makes me pround of my country is its history, culture, and the spirit of excel. Yes, most pple there are still poor comparing to the rest of the world. Some of them may be rude in manner. But things are changing fast, both good and bad. People outside tend to evaluate China through comparing big cities like Shangehai, Beijing etc with other international cities and then make a conclusion how fast China is developing. THAT IS WRONG! You should look deeper into the life of inland pple, simple yet more traditional. What I dont like these days is that city pple are getting more and more materialism. They work hard (in whatever means) to earn more money, but unfortunately overlook our own heritage. Until recently I realized that I am more or less one of such. I feel blush for my ignorance in stopping reading more history and literature during the past many years. Fortunately it's not too late. Now I started re-appreciating my own culture and reading a lot in history/culture/arts etc.

From a photographer's point of view, it's best if you can stay there for a relatively long time and live with the people. You may not like certain things at beginning, but after some time you may change your attitude and understand how and why. One more thing is that rural life is very different from urban life. Try to go as far as you can reach to see different things. This also works for me coz I was born and raised up in a city. If u ask me where will be my next trip, surely it is China. I am going to see more history and scenery there. Two of my Singapore friends are also very much looking forward to go with me;p

Tomshen,

That was very interesting and enlightening.
Nothing like hearing the inside story.
You have certainly made me more interested in visiting China!

Originally posted by Simon

arggg, now i know why you were looking for a China Girl friend, how was the last one you went out with? ;p

WAT?!%*&#

since when am i looking for a "China Girl friend"????
when did i go out with anybody???

Originally posted by tomshen
China is full of diversities, in terms of geography, climate, people, culture, and values

hey, forget u're from China. Should have asked u directly. thanks for your wonderful insight into your own country ;)

Well, by no means I am an expert here or pretend knowing many things only because I am from the place. I haven't seen much coz i didn't have many oppertunities to travel around, which is now a great pity to me. On the other hand, I have seen something else that inspire me to retrospect. It's kind of relocating myself. I was quite surprised to see that in many aspects Singapore Chinese (especially old generation) are better in keeping tradition. This comparison is between cities. I dont have many ideas about the rural life in China so no comments. Sometimes I just hope China can slow down a bit in the so-called economic development while paying more attention to other issues, e.g. environment and culture. This could be a long topic and different pple have different opinion. But I do feel it's a pity to throw away old yet valable things.

Back to the photography issue. There are so many choices ranging from historical cities, mountains, rivers, highlands, lowland, deserts, beaches... For me even more important are the four seasons. I can physically feel the smell of spring and touch the color of autumn... and snow... All would be great for photography, at a different taste. Couldn't miss them more. And ah... food! Yes Chinese foods are the best by any criteria;p drool~ hehe stop here, i am getting home sick, ha...

Anyway, when u come back, you still feel home is the best coz there is no other place can replace it :D

Hi Tomshen

Just came back from a semi back packing trip to Yunnan a few months ago. Really love the place and climate.

u are right that the pple from the cities do not represent China. I discovered this when I talked to the local folks in the villages and also the city folks, mainly the Chinese from places like Beijing , Shanghai etc. Makes me realise just how vast China is .... her pple are so different though they are all Chinese. I want to go back again to explore China....maybe I could join u and frens when u go back ? :)

chance of a life time... hence must go !! :p

I know of a local photographer who was posted to China... as a photographer :p

Hi victor, you must have taken many nice photos, show show;) I was planning a trip to Yunnan in May but now seems cannot make it for some reasons. Sigh, pity... But will make up in the second half of this year (or earlier) when travelling in the central China, including the most famous historical city, Xi An, and other cities, highlands, and an inland lake (Qinhai Lake). Now started reading and preparing for the trip. It makes a huge difference for me whether or not know what I am gonna see coz every stone, building or tree may tell a story, hehe...

Same as u, inland China is novel and attactive to me too. Places like Tibet, Xinjiang, and southwest acient forest etc are always in my dream. This newly developed hobby (photography) pushes my desire higher and higher. Of course there are many other wonderful places worldwide, like Europe and Africa. I will probably plan a trip to Africa in the next year coz a friend told me how wonderful it was during his four-year staying there.

I am glad to know so many hobbiests here. Photography makes life more colorful and interesting. I guess it will become one of my lifetime enjoyments. Let's talk about more when next time meet each other;p

just asking, what is the voltage from the mains in china ?

Tom you'll need to have a power source available constantly for your digital camera leh :p

ahh...... China girls are very pretty :p

don't mind living a stress free life with my village girl wife in the mountains and taking care of my goats making rice wine etc.. for a living :p hehehe

ookok.. just a fairy tale... I know it is not realistic neither stress free :p

Voltage same as here, 220v if not 230v, but the plug type is different. Don't know how to discribe. Better do a search on the web to answer yr question.

You are good at imagination;) Mi only raised chick as PET:D A rural life sounds great me, waiting for being old:p

Status
Not open for further replies.