Will you lend your camera to friends for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yayne

Jun 5, 2006
If you’ve spent a tidy amount laying out your camera, lenses and mac set up, will you lend / rent it to your friends for commercial or school projects?

I suppose things like that get pretty tricky. If they borrow it for free, what happens if something happens to your gear?

On the other hand, if they rent it from you, wouldn’t that defeat the saying, “take up the job only when you have the capability/sources/gear to do it well?”

Wondering if anybody here has found himself this position.

I should think that if both parties are very close friends shouldn't be an issue. There should be a mutual understanding that the borrower is responsible for repair cost if the equipment is spoiled and is not covered by warranty.

A lot would depend on the generosity of the giver and the credibility of the borrower.

Many years back, I did borrow home a several hundred dollar film scanner for a few days from someone I knew for less than 10hrs (If it spoils in my hands, I will have to bear all the repair costs). Since then, we have come a long way to becoming fast friends and loaning each other equipment and we have remained comfortable with that.

My friends not even dare to think to borrow my dslr as they only used to compact camera :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

don mind lending on the spot but not overnite or for days, unless i trust he/she completely. afterall if anything happens they might just deny it...

don mind lending on the spot but not overnite or for days, unless i trust he/she completely. afterall if anything happens they might just deny it...
... and worse, friendship broke... :rolleyes: .

Regards,
Arto.

erm...for commercial use? if is really friend than i don't think one should 'abuse' friendship to borrow equipments (esp expensive ones) for free while using it to earn money.

i don't think they'd ask as the 'if you break it, you buy it' policy is just too expensive to risk.

i'd probably only lend it to one of my friends who is a photography student.

What do you feel if someone borrow your camera and return you. You check the filter (lucky still have a filter) full of fingerprint?

Regards,
Arto.

I wouldn't mind lending if it is a close relative or a close friend who is into photography. My bro-in-law & I have loaned each other gears before, and I have borrowed from a close friend also.

its not that i dun 1 2 lend , its just that i m the only person in my circle of firends who still uses film , n its consider old peoples' era camera ,hahahahahahahahahaha

the in thing is digital
film is not in to my friends hahahahahaha

Same here, I don't mind lending to photography students or those I can trust the equipment with.

So how do you turn them down nicely without coming off as miserly?

only if the friend is really close and I know where he lives, and I know how he takes good care of his camera.
Other than that, no way.

If you’ve spent a tidy amount laying out your camera, lenses and mac set up, will you lend / rent it to your friends for commercial or school projects?

I suppose things like that get pretty tricky. If they borrow it for free, what happens if something happens to your gear?

On the other hand, if they rent it from you, wouldn’t that defeat the saying, “take up the job only when you have the capability/sources/gear to do it well?”

Wondering if anybody here has found himself this position.

Yes, if they take good care of them.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.