Will you go for camera rental just to have a feel of the model before buying it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chengsun

Mar 5, 2008
Let's say, there is no one that you know around you is using the model the you are eyeing.

Will you rent the particular model for 1, 2 days to shoot, just to have a feel of it, before you decide if you want to buy?

depends on pricing and the trustworthy of the person who rent you... If his camera gonna down drain soon and he rented to you and claim you damages it..how this mess we gonna clear up bro? Cheers... :)

Seem like a good idea, only think not very sure where you can rent it from.
Other alternative, go to the shop, bring your own memory, and try to shoot as much as possible, only around the shop, but at least you can try all the features :)

I can find 2 shops locally just by searching "camera rental in singapore" in Google. So, it is not too troublesome.

Trying out in shop, is quite different from actually using it in real life.

sure will be great if there are such rental shops...esp since there are cars rental And also models for rent.....

try it out and do let us know the results.......... :D

depends on pricing and the trustworthy of the person who rent you... If his camera gonna down drain soon and he rented to you and claim you damages it..how this mess we gonna clear up bro? Cheers... :)

sure will be great if there are such rental shops...esp since there are cars rental And also models for rent.....

Welcome to Clubsnap,

FYI, there are few cameras rental services advertise their services here.
do check out the Virtual Shops and Commercial Services Section.

and there are many members, from newbies or pros, ever renting gears from them.
I myself also rent some gears for some assignments.

Another option is to go down to showrooms/service centres of the respective brands. Some of the service centers allow you to test the equipment there. Just bring your own memory card.

Let's say, there is no one that you know around you is using the model the you are eyeing.

Will you rent the particular model for 1, 2 days to shoot, just to have a feel of it, before you decide if you want to buy?

generally, we encourage members to have hands on the camera or lenses before they plunge their hard earned money into it,
that is why we try to arrange for some hands on session on some new gears, but that usually not always possible to let everyone have a try.

for camera bodies, you also can go to camera showroom or camera stores to have a feel of it, if still not enough, can always rent and try it out
but for lenses, best is rent the lens do to some test shoot.

you can read 1000 reviews online, but that won't beat your very own experience of using it the gears.

If it isn't too much of a hassle, it is a good idea to rent the equipment to have a try.

Having said that, I bought all my 4 lenses that I have now without trying them prior to my purchase.

I started off renting the 5DC from sg.camerarental for trial usage for 4 days and got hooked. So after the 4days
went on the 5th day to buy a used 5DC.

I would say renting is a good option if you are unsure about buying it...

For instance a brand new camera (body) costs $1000, renting it is like $30-40 for a day. 3~4% of the cost of a new set. It's still better than you buy the new set then to find that you don't like it and have to sell it off at a price much lower in the 2nd hand market (regardless if you used it for only a day or two).

I'll just play with it in the showroom..

If i like it.. I buy it and i pay the full amount..if paying cash gives me better price..I'll pay cash.

Dont like the idea of renting. But that's just me. (Just a hobbyist..not professional)

But if you're shooting for a job or etc..and you just need that particular tools for only awhile..renting would be better.

There is no wrong renting to try before buying, if there are other uncertainties that needs ironing out.

Otherwise for me, when I make the decision to buy, I have a reasonable idea what to expect after all the prior research. (and hopefully nothing of the unexpected)

Ryan

Renting sounds like a good idea. I have yet to do so, but will consider when the next purchase come around.

I will rather depend on online reviews frankly. There are sufficient resources I believe, to allow me to make an informed decision if this is the camera for me.

I have never disliked any camera I bought.
To me there will never be a perfect camera and the person is 'flexible' and able to cope with any of the idiosyncrasies of a camera (the camera is just a dead thing).

So for me, online reviews, and some hands on at the store or from fellow CSers during an outing is enough.

It all depends on the individual.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.