Will you give up the copyrights...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leongfm

Feb 12, 2003
www.pbase.com
to your photos to enter photo competitions?

Some of the local organizers of photo competitions seem to have no respect for photographers. When you enter these so-call photo competitions you automatically give up the copyrights of your photos and, to add insult to injury, you also have to agree to indemnfy the organizers for all potential damages caused by your photos. In another words, the organizers reap all the benefits (getting large number of free photos in return for offering some misearable prizes which usually are sponsored by some eager vendors interested to promote their brands/ware) while the photographers bear all the risks.

There is a recent thread on this topic about submitting photos to the Straits Times Interactive Photolog website. See link.

Unfortunately, this kind of practice seems to be common in Singapore. I went to the photo competition section of the Photographic Society of Singapore webpage ( link ). I look at the terms and condiditons of some of these competitions ("Moments and Memories", "Singapore Botanical Gardens Photo Competition", "Full of Health, Full of Life", etc) and was appalled to find them have the above onerous and high-handed terms and conditions. This is really disturbing as these competitions are supported/co-organised by PSS which is supposed to promote the local photography scene and uphold the interests of photographers. I think this is very sad.

So the next time you come across any photo competitions, please read the terms and conditions carefully before you submit your photos. You may give away your copyrights.

Leongfm said:
of your photos to enter photo competitions?

This is really disturbing as these competitions are supported/co-organised by PSS which is supposed to promote the local photography scene and uphold the interests of photographers. I think this is very sad.

So the next time you come across any photo competitions, please read the terms and conditions carefully before you submit your photos. You may give away your copyrights.

As an org. of photographers for photographers, it is indeed sad that they're not helping to fight for copyright for the photographers. The least they could do is to help the photographer retain his/her copyrights and let the sponsers have limited copyright to use the winning images. As it is now, so long as you sent in an image, you lose your copyright even if you don't win anything.

Anyone here form PSS wish to comment?

One you take a picture, click the camera twice:). Should you need to sell the copyright away, there's always a backup(works for landscapes and architectural works) and no, I don't sell copyrights for peanuts.

Belle&Sebastain said:
you really like the 'vest' right? :lovegrin:

:sweat: Yes... its the best thing since sliced bread... hahaha!
Mainly coz I wanted a domke but it was too ex. Think that is the only contest I bothered to participate and din care much about the copyright.

A bit low down..... but I just think competitions are just so subjective. :angel:

Take a same shot 2wice lor.
if 1 no more copyright, the other 1 still have.

I dont get it, what is the use of taking exact same shot (split seconds apart) when you have sign away your copy right.

Unless that split seconds will be considered as a totally different photos legally, else you still cant sell it, though you can still keep it for personal viewing pleasure.

I am right or wrong? Pls advice me. Thanks.

that's the second reason why i never join competitions.

the first reason is of course, i prob won't win anyway.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

denniskee said:
I dont get it, what is the use of taking exact same shot (split seconds apart) when you have sign away your copy right.

Unless that split seconds will be considered as a totally different photos legally, else you still cant sell it, though you can still keep it for personal viewing pleasure.

I am right or wrong? Pls advice me. Thanks.
Actually I not sure too.

But the rules don't state that you cannot have another photo of the exact same composition. The copyright of the SUBMITTED photograph belongs to them, but not another photo with the same composition (Though the clouds may have moved an inch...).

AReality said:
Take a same shot 2wice lor.
if 1 no more copyright, the other 1 still have.
this is a very cool idea! :)
it will be up to them to prove that the 2 actually different photos are similar, rather than us proving the 2 photos are different

very nice idea :)

OK, time for clarification.

The organisers have the rights to use ONLY images THAT HAVE WON AWARDS in the photography competition if it is stated in the form. The rights of the images, at the same time, also belong to the photographer unless otherwise stated. These are standard terms in MOST PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITIONS, regardless who the organisers are.

This is fairplay. Photographer submit pix, they won prizes which some can be worth more than S$3000 or even S$15,000. The organisers, which is not just the photography organisation but also their partners especially the main partner/ sponsor, shall use the image for their publicity collaterols, in some competition, for a period of time.

In a nutshell, if you are organising a competition and you sponsor $20,000 as prizes, you are sure likely want to use the image as your publicity material if they are good, especially for campaigns like "Family Matters", "Racial Harmony", "Life is Great" etc.

This is a "give and take" society.

If the photographer felt that their images are worth more than S$3000 else where and not wanting to submit for the competition, they are always welcome to do so. If not, why not take this opportunity to get that prize money to upgrade your equipment? There are some photographers who are regular competition participants and have won many cash prizes, and upgraded to high end cameras like the Nikon D2X with the AFS lenses. In a way, while they enjoy shooting, they recover their costs and can still upgrade to better equipment. Think about it, where got such good deals? In fact, you should be on the lookout for competitions. Some of the carrots are too good to resist.

Sometimes, life is a paradox.

Of course, there are some amateur photographers whose full time job earn them $30,000 a month. But for majority of us, it will be good if there are more competitions with cash prizes to help sustain this expensive hobby.

Anyway, the copyright of the image still belongs to the photographer at the end of the day, unless otherwise stated (which means you exchange the rights for monetory benefits).

ya... you don't gives up your rights to the image.. it's more like they have the right to use for their publication etc. E.g. GE "Life is Great" competition

Belle&Sebastain said:
nonono that why i never participate

i wont have a smell of the top prize, so no need la.... go through all the heartache :bsmilie:

i think some of our friends, myself included, are wary of contests that take ALL submitted photos' copyrights for themselves... not those that makan copyrights only with a prize...

Steven Yee said:
OK, time for clarification.

The organisers have the rights to use ONLY images THAT HAVE WON AWARDS in the photography competition if it is stated in the form. The rights of the images, at the same time, also belong to the photographer unless otherwise stated. These are standard terms in MOST PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITIONS, regardless who the organisers are.

This is fairplay. Photographer submit pix, they won prizes which some can be worth more than S$3000 or even S$15,000. The organisers, which is not just the photography organisation but also their partners especially the main partner/ sponsor, shall use the image for their publicity collaterols, in some competition, for a period of time.

In a nutshell, if you are organising a competition and you sponsor $20,000 as prizes, you are sure likely want to use the image as your publicity material if they are good, especially for campaigns like "Family Matters", "Racial Harmony", "Life is Great" etc.

This is a "give and take" society.

If the photographer felt that their images are worth more than S$3000 else where and not wanting to submit for the competition, they are always welcome to do so. If not, why not take this opportunity to get that prize money to upgrade your equipment? There are some photographers who are regular competition participants and have won many cash prizes, and upgraded to high end cameras like the Nikon D2X with the AFS lenses. In a way, while they enjoy shooting, they recover their costs and can still upgrade to better equipment. Think about it, where got such good deals? In fact, you should be on the lookout for competitions. Some of the carrots are too good to resist.

Sometimes, life is a paradox.

Of course, there are some amateur photographers whose full time job earn them $30,000 a month. But for majority of us, it will be good if there are more competitions with cash prizes to help sustain this expensive hobby.

Anyway, the copyright of the image still belongs to the photographer at the end of the day, unless otherwise stated (which means you exchange the rights for monetory benefits).

I don't know, but there are some competition recently "forgotten" to add in the clause "Winning photographs", meaning when you win or not, you give up your copyrights.

There are also some competition, assisted by a very prominent local photography clubhouse, which used the phase "pictures that are chosen" meaning the better pictures, be it a winning one or not be given full rights to the pictures. Only the top three gets a prize, but for the rest of the "chosen" pictures, they get the privilage of given a chance to show that Singaporean photographers are "giving" in nature :D

nemesis32 said:
ya... you don't gives up your rights to the image.. it's more like they have the right to use for their publication etc. E.g. GE "Life is Great" competition

When the publication "retain full rights" to the picture, it means they have the full copyright of the picture. When you want to use the picture for other things, you have to get their permission to use your own picture......

Hence, the moral of the story is to read the rules and regulations very carefully, and you have to decide whether it is worthwhile to join or not. The ball is in your court anyway.

I do not know which local prominent photography club the thread is referring to. Sometimes, the rules and regulations are made in line with the sponsor or main organisers' objectives.

Really, you have to decide if it is worth it. But of course, most often than not, it is worth giving it a try and win some money.

Who knows, your image might clinch the top prize next year for "Life is Great" and you can upgrade your system!

Status
Not open for further replies.