Will you give up a good paying job for a role as a trainee assistant photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

presstheshutter

Feb 2, 2010
Let's say you are working in a different field from photography and earning >4k per month, would you give up the job, just so you can enter the photography field? Even if it's just a trainee position to become assistant photographer?

is juz a hobby lah. and is different as a job.
how many can really keep the hobby for the next 5 years?

unless you're really sick with your job or the money. ;)

NO and also a NO to being trainee assistant photographer, i rather be my own boss.

Let's say you are working in a different field from photography and earning >4k per month, would you give up the job, just so you can enter the photography field? Even if it's just a trainee position to become assistant photographer?

> 4k?

how much does a assistant photog earns?
if around the same, then if interest persist, go for it.

if you're paid peanuts, then, of course, forget it.

ortega's right.
alot of my photog friends who are professional says the same thing

suppose to be a hobby.
so. to shoot to get pay.
or to pay to get shoot?

Actually, I'm getting a little sick with my current job... Interest is with photography, so was thinking if it would be "fun" to go into this field.. but looks like alot of old birds seems to agree that once it's for work, it wouldn't be fun...

i will stick with the 4k job.

Photography as a career is good if you start from early onset and not simply as a midlife career switch.

The way i see it, with a 4k a month job...the person will be highly sought after as can afford to buy the newest and best more often compared to the average working photographer. There are more people who look at the gear used more as opposed to how they are used.

I started photography as hobby 25yrs ago..went commercial only to earn money & buy better gear..but realized that run-of-the-mill photography (weddings, etc) are short-term incomes, but cannot help you sustain longterm, nor help you equip with latest gear.. So switched to full time job..today I'm a marketing professional in >8K segment. I still dream of making photography my full time profession one day...but in a very niche segment which can help get premium for the type of work...and so challenging that it satisfies the creative needs.. STILL SEARCHING.. :(

Actually, I'm getting a little sick with my current job... Interest is with photography, so was thinking if it would be "fun" to go into this field.. but looks like alot of old birds seems to agree that once it's for work, it wouldn't be fun...
you can use the 4K to buy a lot of cameras and lenses, shoot as and when you like it.....

anyway, passion on photography 只能配饭, 不能当饭吃

This is out of topic but how come your shutter count... err, I mean post count, is zero arh?

Anyway I always believe one should work what one enjoys, then it's not work every day already. Otherwise can be such a chore. Of course, one still needs to fill the rice bowl and sometimes we don't get to choose what we like to work as. I enjoy my work, so every day gets by fast enough. And still get paid for it.

For me, photography is just a passing fad. Maybe one day I will be out of job... but I think I still won't go into photography coz I'm not good lah :bsmilie: haha. Then I will do something else I enjoy (but cannot think of anything I love more than computers :p )

hell no. i mean who on earth in their sane mind will do tat:x its one thing to take photos as a hobbie. its another to actually use it to earn money. u will be stressed.

This is out of topic but how come your shutter count... err, I mean post count, is zero arh?

Anyway I always believe one should work what one enjoys, then it's not work every day already. Otherwise can be such a chore. Of course, one still needs to fill the rice bowl and sometimes we don't get to choose what we like to work as. I enjoy my work, so every day gets by fast enough. And still get paid for it.

For me, photography is just a passing fad. Maybe one day I will be out of job... but I think I still won't go into photography coz I'm not good lah :bsmilie: haha. Then I will do something else I enjoy (but cannot think of anything I love more than computers :p )

cause clubsnap tio bug. i remember seeing a certain advertiser with over 5 mil post count

After carrying and dragging the heavy pro equipments around for a long enough time, I tell you, You see camera also scared.......can change job be arm wrestler liao.
LOL!!

I'd advise anyone who is thinking of attempting to gain entry to the profession to really consider an iceberg first as professional photography and icebergs have a lot in common.

Firstly as a trainee in most countries it's unpaid or at best next to unpaid work in the industry. You can expect long hours, little or no money and even less glamour.

Secondly there's little chance of a person making it in to the industry, for every 100 people who try to break in to professional photography perhaps 3 or 4 will make the grade and of those less than 25% will still be there after 5 years. It's that tough!

Next, unless you have a natural bent to business or formal training in business and practical experience in running a business you will likely end up either massively in debt or making peanuts, or as frequently happens, bankrupt. This is pretty much the case globally but far worse in SE Asia due to the fact that most clients will only want to pay peanuts for your work as they are complete Phillistines and have little or no appreciation of what goes in to good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.