Will you feel bad declining a camera reserved by shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priscilia

Deregistered
Jun 20, 2006
I'm facing a dilemma now and just wondering....

Suppose you already reserved a camera+lens which costs $4k+ at a shop and the stock is in. But at the same time you saw another reliable place that sells it for say $45 cheaper.

Would you decline the first shop and buy it at the cheaper price? I'm sure the 1st shop can easily sell the cam to another buyer but do shops generally "black-list" such buyers who reserve and later don't buy?

45 bucks isn't worth smearing my reputation... but then again... unless you have a deposit with them, otherwise, they can always sell to somebody else, its always better to inform them your intention instead of letting them hold the stock for you.

it depends, did they deliver their promise?

i reserve something once, shop tell me in within week, a week became 3, and they everyday tell me "check back tomorrow"

of course i don't feel bad at all.

anyways, $45 for $4k... i don't see why you want to break a promise for that amount of money.

$45 isn't that much of a difference. You can always ask them to match or give a bit of an extra discount?

The $45 cheaper shop may have a bad surprise for you. Many things not included. No warranty. Grey market import. Used item and reconditioned, not new. Something faulty with it even if new. Want body cap? pay extra. Want strap? pay extra. Want battery? pay extra. Pay by Visa - extra %. No return at all - once out of shop. The thing got problem soon after you bring it home. When you want to buy then they tell you $45 cheaper only for display set which is sold already.

You reserve at original shop means if another customer came along and offer to buy for $100 more they cannot sell it if it was only one they had.

What Ricoflex said can be very true.

However, if the shop is reputable and the no gimmick type, maybe $45 off is a real deal. Competitor is just scrumbling for business in such given times.

Maybe should just check what it does come with. A simple list will be such:
1. original battery
2. camera strap
3. Brand new in box
4. All original accessories that should come in the box including the eye piece.

Yes, $45 is not a lot of money to some to lose abit of face, but to others, it is still a week of allowance + transport. It is the opportunity cost where that $45 can be exchanged for (given both camera shops offer the exact same deal!)

Alternatively, squeeze the guy whom you ordered from for one or two free batteries. I am sure it is within their means.

No right or wrong really. Its your money. Dealers will have their ways to swop inventories around and is not your worry. (well unless u ordered a diamond studded Leica, then it will be real sabo to the dealer).

I had been played out by shops before; it can cut both ways. This is business and emotion should not be part of the equation.

it depends, did they deliver their promise?

i reserve something once, shop tell me in within week, a week became 3, and they everyday tell me "check back tomorrow"

of course i don't feel bad at all.

anyways, $45 for $4k... i don't see why you want to break a promise for that amount of money.

can share which shop? I want to avoid such shops. Please pm me if not convenient to post here. TIA! :)

guys and gals, Its the reputation, not the money. money can earn back, reputation takes trust to earn.

$45 will show what kind of person you are...:)

Suppose you already reserved a camera+lens which costs $4k+ at a shop and the stock is in. But at the same time you saw another reliable place that sells it for say $45 cheaper.

Would you decline the first shop and buy it at the cheaper price? I'm sure the 1st shop can easily sell the cam to another buyer but do shops generally "black-list" such buyers who reserve and later don't buy?

Please donate the $45 to charity if you choose to buy from another place to restore good karma.

Also light 7 joss sticks and pray to heaven.

If not you will not restful sleep and happy dreams.

I am appalled that you are actually asking this question because you found a cheaper deal and not because the shop delivered bad service etc .... :(

If you have already ordered, do the right thing please.

Last edited:
I am appalled that you are actually asking this question because you found a cheaper deal and not because the shop delivered bad service etc .... :(

If you have already ordered, do the right thing please.

I think you have jumped to conclusion too readily. Please read on...

You see, the last time I went, I found a copy to have some physical defect on it and that's the last piece. I'm not being paranoid, even the shop lady admits it's not a perfect piece.

But of course, like all sales people, she tried to reassure me: "They are probably all like that lah. No one touched it." I didn't like such excuses but I guess that's how sales people here tend to behave. To me, bad means bad. So I told her to order me a new set.

I have decided to get from the 1st shop with the assumption I'll get a better piece now. If not, I'll turn them down flat and go to the other shop.

I guess my predicament is not so much like agreeing to buy a 2ndhand equipment and then rejecting the seller at the last minute. I won't do that.

Anyway, in this case, the item is selling very well so there's no prob even if I don't wish to buy. (And I'm not selfish to hold onto it for long. I was only informed stocks are in today.)

But for $40+, yeah, I'll give the shop a chance since it has been nice to me. :)

And No, the second shop is not a dodgy one that cheats.

Thanks for those who let me see the light on human kindness. :)

Now, it would be interesting if the situation is such that the 2nd shop offers say $200 discount. Would you guys still reject the 1st shop?

Well, I was figuring out the scenario based on your first mail....it only mentioned price....

Actually, even if that were the case, I don't see it as Super WRONG WRONG or a Big Sin to reject the first shop. Just that I needed some opinions on how you all would feel about it.

In this case, $45 seems peanuts compared to the price of the camera which is $4k+. But viewed in absolute terms, $45 is something. Goodness, people rush for items for discounts of only $1-2 here!

Anyway, I think it would be wrong if I don't inform the shop I don't want the camera anymore or if I take my own sweet time to decide.

You see, the last time I went, I found a copy to have some physical defect on it and that's the last piece. I'm not being paranoid, even the shop lady admits it's not a perfect piece.

But of course, like all sales people, she tried to reassure me: "They are probably all like that lah. No one touched it." I didn't like such excuses but I guess that's how sales people here tend to behave. To me, bad means bad. So I told her to order me a new set.

I have decided to get from the 1st shop with the assumption I'll get a better piece now. If not, I'll turn them down flat and go to the other shop.

I guess my predicament is not so much like agreeing to buy a 2ndhand equipment and then rejecting the seller at the last minute. I won't do that.

Anyway, in this case, the item is selling very well so there's no prob even if I don't wish to buy. (And I'm not selfish to hold onto it for long. I was only informed stocks are in today.)

But for $40+, yeah, I'll give the shop a chance since it has been nice to me. :)

And No, the second shop is not a dodgy one that cheats.

Thanks for those who let me see the light on human kindness. :)

Now, it would be interesting if the situation is such that the 2nd shop offers say $200 discount. Would you guys still reject the 1st shop?

This should have been part of your first message.... :)

The shop respected you when confirming (without asking for non-refundable deposit) to reserve the item for you (you said it sells well and is in demand) even though they could have sold it to someone else in the mean time. They could have ignored you.

This is why for big ticket items, such as houses there is an option fee which if you change your mind and decide not to buy within the period before offer expires, it is forfeited.

A deal is a deal. An oral contract to buy is a contract. Reserve means keep for you to bring the money to buy.

It is not about whether $45 or $200 cheaper. So one can extrapolate and imagine what if $1,000 cheaper in other shop. If the offer is too good to be true, it is probably a fantasy.

But if the first shop had quoted a price very much higher than general market price and you reserved without checking around first, then it is your mistake.

Does not seem so in this case. $45 over $4,000 is 0.01125. So it is within the acceptable plus/minus differences quoted by various shops.

Actually this is not so hard to solve. Just call up shop A, tell them about your reserved item, and that you have found another shop B that is selling cheaper then them by $ dollars. Ask them if they could match the price. If they could, everything is fine. If not, ask them if they would allow you to cancel the order. If they say ok, go ahead and buy from shop B. If not, go buy from shop A and honour your deal.

can share which shop? I want to avoid such shops. Please pm me if not convenient to post here. TIA! :)

john 3:16.

i am not pissed that they couldn't get the item in time, that is understandable. but to keep telling me to check back again, when i stated clearly that i was calling from overseas....... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.