will you ditch your DSLR for LX3?

will you ditch your DSLR for a good compact?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheresmycheese

Feb 9, 2009
Sicily, Mediterranean Sea
with the rise & advancement of compact cameras such as LX3 and the recent Fuji F200EXR will you ditch your setup for a smaller camera?

F200EXR boast an impressive DR with the LX3 is equally if not as impressive as an entry level DSLR

If not for weddings and events i might.

what about you?

Nope, try LX3 before, don't really like it, don't think it will come close to what i want from my DSLR.

I'll probably use it to compliment my existing DSLR as it does not have any bright 2.8 lenses. Probably use the LX3 for indoor shoots?

I'll probably use it to compliment my existing DSLR as it does not have any bright 2.8 lenses. Probably use the LX3 for indoor shoots?

smth i tot abt too i was looking at LX 3 to be use for wide angle shots. sometimes you just dont wanna lung around the huge camera. these day everyone else carrying DSLR haha we are going back to big better era

I sorta deep freeze my DSLR since I got the LX3.

ah. i see.. wad about it you didn't like?

Mainly it is the Image Quality (some shots i need to print up to A1), noise control, the ability for expansion thru lenses and acessories, shutter lag and more....mainly technically.

In short, i need techniaclly quality shots, no doubt that there are many amazing photo sthat can be produce by any camera, be it a pin-hole, P&S or DLSR, but most important that ones need to know his/her need and choose the right tools.

Amazing photo don't need to be tack sharp to slice the eyes but it is the mood that ones produce, just like those beautiful technically flaw photo taken by lomo camera.

I do own a P&S and always with me, for work record shots or just snap shots of daily life. In this case, i personally felt that my P&S will be a better choice.

So......one should understand he/her need....and get what serve him/her best. :)

Mainly it is the Image Quality (some shots i need to print up to A1), noise control, the ability for expansion thru lenses and acessories, shutter lag and more....mainly technically.

In short, i need techniaclly quality shots, no doubt that there are many amazing photo sthat can be produce by any camera, be it a pin-hole, P&S or DLSR, but most important that ones need to know his/her need and choose the right tools.

Amazing photo don't need to be tack sharp to slice the eyes but it is the mood that ones produce, just like those beautiful technically flaw photo taken by lomo camera.

I do own a P&S and always with me, for work record shots or just snap shots of daily life. In this case, i personally felt that my P&S will be a better choice.

So......one should understand he/her need....and get what serve him/her best. :)

i guess for professionals he/she still needs the DSLR but wad abt most of us hobbist? ?

I sorta deep freeze my DSLR since I got the LX3.

haha than give away to me your DSLR. the more i look at LX3 the more i like it thou :D

smth i tot abt too i was looking at LX 3 to be use for wide angle shots. sometimes you just dont wanna lung around the huge camera. these day everyone else carrying DSLR haha we are going back to big better era

Ya...sometime it is so tiring to lung the heavy DSLR around.....that why someday i'm using my small SLR instead and also think of going into RF.

i guess for professionals he/she still needs the DSLR but wad abt most of us hobbist? ?

I'm also a hobbist like most of the ppls here, but i do set milestone to what i want to achieve in my hobby.

I don't believe that hobbist can't produced works like profesional.

Really depend on how individual want to achieved......

And one must ask him/herself, why in the first place he/her wanted to pick up photography as a hobby, and what he/she wanted to achieve.....then it will be easier make the choice.

There are many ppls just buy a high-end DSLR and pro lenses and expect wonder will happen in their sharp but lifeless photo and also buying for the sake of ego boosting.....

and there are some just use a old RF, TLR or SLR and shoot every beautiful photo using film despite it is already the digital era..........

Understand oneself is the most important things in all art, as art is a way of life. :)

I'm also a hobbist like most of the ppls here, but i do set milestone to what i want to achieve in my hobby.

I don't believe that hobbist can't produced works like profesional.

Really depend on how individual want to achieved......

And one must ask him/herself, why in the first place he/her wanted to pick up photography as a hobby, and what he/she wanted to achieve.....then it will be easier make the choice.

There are many ppls just buy a high-end DSLR and pro lenses and expect wonder will happen in their sharp but lifeless photo and also buying for the sake of ego boosting.....

and there are some just use a old RF, TLR or SLR and shoot every beautiful photo using film despite it is already the digital era..........

Understand oneself is the most important things in all art, as art is a way of life. :)

very wise words :) i agree with you, especially on the RF,TLR and SLR part.

Have actually tot abt that b4. As time goes by she seems to pile on weight and it's becoming a chore to lug the main squeeze out. Sexy lil' beast she was back then.

The LX is definitely a very capable pns by itself. It's so forgiving and sometimes it's just liberating to just.. you know..... point and shoot!

But then for me as a hobbyist, they both serve different purposes and occasions. They kinda compliment each other and therefore I'm a happy man! :embrass:

what about you?

the lx3 is good, very nice to play

noise control also not bad for a compact

but when it comes to flexibility, handling, nothing beats a good dslr once you have used it

just put it this way, can lx3 have fisheye? 15mm perspective? 75mm f/1.4 option? not really.. it is not an incapable camera, yes, but it is still nowhere near a dslr.

same for all the bridge cameras. they can all produce good photographs, but they are still more limited, and no one is going to be able to deny that,.

the lx3 is good, very nice to play

noise control also not bad for a compact

but when it comes to flexibility, handling, nothing beats a good dslr once you have used it

just put it this way, can lx3 have fisheye? 15mm perspective? 75mm f/1.4 option? not really.. it is not an incapable camera, yes, but it is still nowhere near a dslr.

same for all the bridge cameras. they can all produce good photographs, but they are still more limited, and no one is going to be able to deny that,.

really depends on the manufacturer's intent...

the fastest P&S lens was f/1.8 (oly) not far from f/1.4
The widest... LX3 with WA add-on is IIRC 17mm.
FE? can actually substitute with WA + PS.

as long as dun mind high ISO IQ and fixed lens, I dun see why P&S got issue...

slow AF? see what pana G1 AF can do...

it all really depends on what they want to put in a P&S...

If going far enough to buy an LX3, why not go further and get the G1? It's fairly light and small but has much better image quality and it has a choice of lenses that are also smaller than that of a dSLR.

its the best of both worlds. compact and great IQ

If you're into bokehs, the bokeh produced by PnS is very diff from those produced by a dslr, due to the size of the sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.