Will you consider?

Will you consider to be station in china?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

besh

May 8, 2005
If happened you are looking for a job, and the new job required you to be station in china, how many of you willing to be station in china?

Put the following "limited offer" in mind.

1.) Pay is ok, not too high or too low.
2.) your family in singapore/the pleace you are now.
3.) your partner in singapore/the place you are now.

if long term, best if can bring family along if u're the breadwinner.
but if you cant, it's very debatable cuz i think family is most important if you have one.

My written chinese is very very lousy. :cry:

At a drop of a hat I will leave. China, Timbuktu, Serberia....etc. heheh I am ready to be the quitter my garment has labeled Singaporean like me to be. :D Being single and given the chance....take it. I am in my early 40s and I would still go for it. Now if only I can get my boss to send me to work at our China office. heh..The one I am working twards would be to go back to Malaysia and find work. That would be better since I do speak malay and my mom will have all her siblings back there to stay. Finally...marry a less materialistic girl maybe too heh. LOL

i'm already here.;)

there were 100s of applicants in just the last round of interviews. is SG job market that bad?

go for it man, doesn't sound like you're married and have kids....the world's your oyster, and China is a much bigger/interesting market....even if you go for a couple of years, your market value will increase because of the experience...

Plus the camera equipment there is cheaper :)

besh said:
If happened you are looking for a job, and the new job required you to be station in china, how many of you willing to be station in china?

Put the following "limited offer" in mind.

1.) Pay is ok, not too high or too low.
2.) your family in singapore/the pleace you are now.
3.) your partner in singapore/the place you are now.
The last time my friend got a potential posting to China. He asked me whether to go or not and I advised him to go for the sake of his long term future.

Unfortunately, his family is the sort that doesn't like anyone to work overseas kind. So he basically busted his own chance and he isn't doing really well nw. :(

jsbn said:
The last time my friend got a potential posting to China. He asked me whether to go or not and I advised him to go for the sake of his long term future.

Unfortunately, his family is the sort that doesn't like anyone to work overseas kind. So he basically busted his own chance and he isn't doing really well nw. :(

I have a very talented friend (Malaysia). Great software developing engineer but mother can not stand him going to a strange world ( Singapore ) which is expensive to work or though I kept telling him he could learn and do so much more here at the peak of IT boom. This was a decade ago when IT was booming. He is now a after sale service ERP technician working for (real) peanuts. Now the mother is worry about her son's future...as it is tie to looking after her. Ironic. His classmate who did come to SIngapore for about 7 yrs..and now owes his own IT consultation firm and leading a good life back in KL.

Sjourn said:
i'm already here.;)

there were 100s of applicants in just the last round of interviews. is SG job market that bad?

IT is not that bad...it just paying peanuts....you need to keep upgrading and learning new "doggie" tricks just to stay on the same spot!. It is not bad now but frankly like my boss saids, it is only going to get worst. A small market with giant economies growing all around us...power houses like China, India, Thailand, Japan, Korea and even Malaysia. Singapore as I see it makes a nice palce for the better off Singaporean who retires here or place his family here while he/she works overseen....where the money is only going to get better. SO why put all your eggs in one basket? I am concern enough that even I can not forsee myself not working at age 70...if I live that long...and free of health problems. Might not be entire a typical Singapore problem mind you but being such a small nation, that can work against you...we are already seeing signs of it in the past years in various industries. I still have an emotional bond and loyalty for Singapore but having that will not be enough to feed my family in the years to come. I can't gamble and just sit here thinking it might not happen.

10 years ago I signed up for a job offer in Thailand for 1 year, then Mexico for 1 year. Those were tough times, not so popular with internet, budget airline tickets (and digital cameras :bsmilie: )

U guys are lucky if u got a job offer overseas, my 20 years opinions, take it at the 1st opportunity, go overseas and see the world.
By the way, make sure u understand and agree on the terms about overseas salary package, overseas accomodation, overseas tax liability, before u sign up.

sammy888 said:
I have a very talented friend (Malaysia). Great software developing engineer but mother can not stand him going to a strange world ( Singapore ) which is expensive to work or though I kept telling him he could learn and do so much more here at the peak of IT boom. This was a decade ago when IT was booming. He is now a after sale service ERP technician working for (real) peanuts. Now the mother is worry about her son's future...as it is tie to looking after her. Ironic. His classmate who did come to SIngapore for about 7 yrs..and now owes his own IT consultation firm and leading a good life back in KL.
Another sad example.

Whilst one must be careful of the renumeration package offered (its not fun eating grass 15,000 miles away frm home) as mentioned by Astin. Working overseas is a great way to expand one's horizons, break the traditional mindset & increase one's perception other den staying in ur comfort zone of home.

Unfortunately, some older generation folks believe in the word 'safety, stay stable & comfortable' which I wun condemn but neither would I really condone hardcore actions pertaining to these 3 words.

Can't blame them. Some still hold onto this mentality even though it will potentially mean dashing an alternative path for the child's future.

Status
Not open for further replies.