will you buy a fungus lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gernie

Aug 20, 2004
i not sure it been discuss b4, but can't find a thread on it.. So just wondering how many would buy a fungus lens....the reason i ask is becos you can get 60-70% off the original price.. what say you?

let say a fungus nikon 17-55, cost $ 850 ...

fungus : it still works well and wont affect the photo

typically fungus does not affect the pic quality unless the fungus situation is extreme. for those expensive f2.8 lens (non 3rd party), you might as well start enjoying the discount and shoot great pics instead worrying about the fungus. 17-55 with fungus at $850? but it. send it for cleaning typically if you must.

sigh~! my mistake.. is lens with fungus .. got it?

Nope. For me, the glass must be clean and the lens must be mechanically in perfect working condition.

HOWEVER, it all also depends on the price, lah. If after factoring in cost of cleaning and still good deal, why not?

hell no.... fungus will grow. even if lens hv got thru servicing, it will never b as gd as b4. to me pic quality is v important.

p.s forget bout the 60-70% off.. it just an example...

i would buy the lens with fungus if it gives me the optical effects i want, a flare or uneven colour tone, a desautrated colour with some signature softness.

Think of it as a special effect lens rather than your defacto lens unless you like all your images to have that feel.

Go for it, if it makes your images!:)

Why not. I will pay at most 60% of the secondhand price in the market. Nothing more than that.

i will. its much cheaper.. play with it while you can, since it doen't affect the optical quality. If you really mind, send it for cleaning ;p

I think I've purchase over 20 fungus filled lenses over the last 2 years, they all work fine. Just have to make sure the electronics are functioning properly (if any) as they tend to be more expensive to fix compared to replacing fungus infected elements.

for a 17=55 f2.8 at 850. i'll probably buy with out thinking. lol then spend a lil more to clean it up. and then resale still can make a lil out of it leh. :bsmilie:

gernie said:
i not sure it been discuss b4, but can't find a thread on it.. So just wondering how many would buy a fungus lens....the reason i ask is becos you can get 60-70% off the original price.. what say you?

let say a fungus nikon 17-55, cost $ 850 ...

fungus : it still works well and wont affect the photo

If fungus don't affect image quality, especially near to the side of the lens, it is ok.... great discount.. buy it.

I don't mind small fungus... 95% of the time it won't do anything, just at certain angle it might cause flare but the chance is very very low.

Hart

From what i gathered from the internet (here and there):

1. Fungus can eat away the expensive lens coatings, which is the reason for the high price of the lens in the first place. Cleaning away the fungus does NOT restore the coatings. They are gone forever. The infected elements can be replaced though.

2. Fungus spores are very tough and can hibernate for years. Putting the lens in a dry cab does not kill the fungus; it only inhibits the growth for the time being.

3. Fungus spores can spread from lens to camera, and from camera to the other lenses. You can potentially infect all your lenses.

i'm not a fungus-expert, and cannot verify or disprove the above. However, i stay away from fungus lenses, whatever the price.

ST1100 said:
From what i gathered from the internet (here and there):

1. Fungus can eat away the expensive lens coatings, which is the reason for the high price of the lens in the first place. Cleaning away the fungus does NOT restore the coatings. They are gone forever. The infected elements can be replaced though.

2. Fungus spores are very tough and can hibernate for years. Putting the lens in a dry cab does not kill the fungus; it only inhibits the growth for the time being.

3. Fungus spores can spread from lens to camera, and from camera to the other lenses. You can potentially infect all your lenses.

i'm not a fungus-expert, and cannot verify or disprove the above. However, i stay away from fungus lenses, whatever the price.

and it might infect your hygiene as the spores can spread into your house too.. :D

seriously, I bought a lens with fungus, sent it out for cleaning.. I found that even after cleaning the fungus left a light white shade on the glass.. however it did not impact the pictures..

akdwivedi said:
and it might infect your hygiene as the spores can spread into your house too.. :D

seriously, I bought a lens with fungus, sent it out for cleaning.. I found that even after cleaning the fungus left a light white shade on the glass.. however it did not impact the pictures..

spores are everywhere:)

Can buy it and send it for cleaning. Quality would not effect much, but bec the coating has been 'eaten' away, the lens is more suseptable to flaring and ghostings. :sweat:

I got a old Nikkor P.C. 105mm f/2.5 which was left in a cupboard for many years 10-15 odd. The rear element was horribily infected but had it sent for cleaning. Fungus inside got cleared by it left small white powdery marks on the rear element. It was supposed to be a really expensive portraiture lens that produced really sharp pictures. Still, with the rear element in such a condition, its still really really sharp. The picture quality seems not to be affected at all. If I had such a opportunity to get such lens so cheap, why not? Unless the fungus is too horrible that the lens has turned translucent.

use picasa "im feeling lucky" will fix all problems :bsmilie:

no kidding

see this is diff (considering my 400mm got haze inside...)

before(quite jialat...)
pict3407wi3.jpg

after "im feeling lucky"
pict34071xo4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.