Will you Adopt an animal from SPCA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceCoolBeer

Apr 10, 2004
Hey guys and gals.
I'm doing some research for a project which need some help.

(a) Would you rather adopt one from SPCA to getting one from a pet shop? And Why?
(b) Have your ever considered the time and responsibility before getting one?
(c) Do you know abandoning your pet is also a form of abuse?

Thanks.

a: yes, because it cost too much to buy, an i think we have had enuff stray at hands. i tend to favor street dogs though, tougher more independent.

b: yes, that is why i am still without a pet.

c: yes

no lah. i dont like animals one.

neither does my whole family..lolzz..thats why pets to me = strange concept :)

Given a choice I would adopt one from the SPCA rather than getting one from the pet shop. The pets in the pet shop would still be looked after, fed, bathed and have enough room to play in even if you didn't bring it home as compared to the poor chap in SPCA who might be put to sleep over time. The pet shouldn't be judged by its looks.

That said, I will not adopt a pet because I feel I don't have the devotion to be one.

Abandoning a pet is not exactly an abuse IMO. It is more like a case of shirking responsibilities which may eventually caused the pet to be abused by strangers. Cruelty to animals IS an abuse.

a) would adopt from SPCA - too many strays and abadoned animals out there. Anyway I beg to differ that animals are well taken care of in petshops. Have seem too many terrible conditions, pet shops are only interested in making money. Only a handleful really treat their animals humanely or pass on proper pet care information.

b) Indeed pet ownership is a major responsibility - if you haven't thought about it... don't get a pet. Easy to keep pets are a myth - especially when it comes to rabbits.

c) Yup.

Thanks for your views.

Keep it coming guys and gals. Whether you have a pet or thinking of keeping one. Please join the above discussion here.

And if you have any ideas or suggestion to stop the abandon of pets. Please feel free to post. Thank you.

IceCoolBeer said:
Hey guys and gals.

(a) Would you rather adopt one from SPCA to getting one from a pet shop? And Why?

Thanks.

a) Yes, I would rather adopt a pet from the SPCA rather than getting one from a pet shop. I've adopted two dogs (mixed breed) from the SPCA, and they are well-behaved and trainable, and have given me lots of happy hours with them. Those from pet shops are too highly priced and require a lot more care if they're pedigree dogs.

b) Yup. My first dog stayed faithfully with me until her last breath when she died at 11 years old. Current dog is well-behaved and a good guard dog.

c) Uh huh. But it's still happening quite a lot, if you see the numbers being picked up by SPCA. :confused:

a) No... 1st already got fish; 2nd don't really like pet. Don't dislike them but taking care of them is another thing.

b) of course. My stand pt. If I can't commit the time and responsibility. Better don't get them.

c) yes.
My brother-in-law use to own a tortoise and he keep this tortoise in a fish tank same size as him. That's time really feel like calling the SPCA for abusing.
And I keep on complaining to my husband. Either his brother change a bigger tank for let the poor animal go.

IceCoolBeer said:
Hey guys and gals.

Thanks.

a) Adopt from SPCA or other people.. never from pet shop.. you pay them they will make the animals breed more, ever thought what happens to those who are too old and when nobody wants to buy them?
b) yes.. think and rethink and now i have 4 adopted hamsters friends staying in my room with me.
c) yes..

IceCoolBeer said:
Hey guys and gals.

Thanks.

hilo... well my family n i rear/adopt 3 stray cats 6 years ago from my neighbourhood n they are both my home cats...

(a) i would adopt one from SPCA...
(b) Yes...
(c) Yes...

I'm the proud owner of a 3rd hand dog :D

a) I'll support adoption or reputable breeders. Pet shop puppies are from puppy mills/ farms, some have health problems, some have behaviour problems, some don't even look like the breed they're supposed to be.

b) yes... have to consider pet while planning social life :p

c) yes

IceCoolBeer said:
Hey guys and gals.

Thanks.
Sorry if this sounds long-winded, but I have a couple of cents worth to throw in as well..... I feel very strongly about responsible pet ownership.

a) Depends on what you are looking for. If you just want a faithful companion, SPCA is a great source, esp for cross breeds, which generally have better temperament than purebreds. However, most of the dogs for adoption at SPCA are older dogs, and impulse buyers usually want to buy puppies because they are inherently cute. An impulse buy is also a clear warning sign of trouble ahead for the dog, as the buyer has not thought through the consequences and responsibilities of owning a dog, especially as they start to grow. People sometimes also want purebreeds as they are sometimes "fashionable." For eg, there was a dramatic increase in the number of Jack Russell terriers after "The Mask." (Same with clown fish after "Finding Nemo", BTW.)

If you want a dog for the purpose of showing, it has to be a purebreed, which are not commonly found at the SPCA. Even then, you should consider buying from a reputable breeder and not a pet shop.

The short answer is, I would never buy from a pet shop.

b) Yes, considered it long and hard before getting mine, and even longer and harder before deciding to breed her.

c) Yes, very well aware of this. It is also compulsory to license your dog with the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority, (http://www.ava.gov.sg/javascript/m5-option1.html) (for those of you who haven't done so, DO IT!) and a dog owner that abandons their pet may be prosecuted. The AVA is encouraging microchipping of dogs to ensure errant owners can be tracked, and the Singapore Kennel Club has made it compulsory for all new dogs registered to be microchipped.

a) Yes. I've 2 dogs. One was adopted (was a stray). Both are very happy.
I noticed that the one I adopted is seeks more constant attention; I think its because he got very little when he was a stray.
b) Yes. Dogs and other animals have feelings too. You'd be surprised how 'human' some of them are :)
c) Yes.

hmmmm......it did cross my mind to adopt from SPCA. but didnt know how the procedure goes and how much it cost.
Anyway I love animals..especially dogs..however, my family members -- my mum, aunt and granny are afraid of animals...so....no hope..><
To answer your questions,

a) yes, I would prefer adopting from SPCA. as what is mentioned abv. those in SPCA needs more love than those animals which are already well taken care of in pet shops.

b) yes. I totally agree. Not jus care and love. you sometimes muz be willing to spend your money to buy nice stuffs for them..which means less money for yourself..=p

c) maybe consider a form of abuse..imagine u've been taking care of them n providing food...if you abandon them..will they be able to fend for themselve?? cruel..

IceCoolBeer said:
Hey guys and gals.

Thanks.

A) Dun mind adopting pet frm SPCA, went there few yrs back juz to look see and think the dogs n cats there are quite well behaved n healthy looking. Sadly :( my mum dun allow me to rear furry pets, so think i'm happy with my gold fish n puffers for the time being.

B) Yup definitely! Even if its juz fishes for me, I still huv to get someone to feed them when i'm not around!

Status
Not open for further replies.