Will u bring your DSLR to batam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chameleon20

Jul 31, 2008
Hihi have a rather irrelevant question to photography but just trying my luck & hope someone can give me some light.

I have not been to batam before and I will be going for my 1st time in May so wanna seek your advice whether I should bring my DSLR over.

I will be going there with another lady fren and both of us will likely spend our time in the pool & going for spa. I don't really feel safe leaving my cam in the hotel room while I am out and I heard there might not be lockers in the spa place. So in a dilema now, can someone who went there b4 advise whether it is worth bringing the cam there for just 2D1N trip?

generally is safe. you can leave it at the counter. they will take care for you.

Plus if you don't feel safe, better not bring it.

Hihi have a rather irrelevant question to photography but just trying my luck & hope someone can give me some light.

I have not been to batam before and I will be going for my 1st time in May so wanna seek your advice whether I should bring my DSLR over.

I will be going there with another lady fren and both of us will likely spend our time in the pool & going for spa. I don't really feel safe leaving my cam in the hotel room while I am out and I heard there might not be lockers in the spa place. So in a dilema now, can someone who went there b4 advise whether it is worth bringing the cam there for just 2D1N trip?

Hi chameleon,

My first question is:...are you & ur frend are in vacation mode? or taking a pictures of the scenery?

if just a vacation mode... my suggestion is don't bring your dSLR, if U have P&S (point & shoot camera) it will be better gather than ur dSLR! at least the P&S it can be in ur pocket!
and pls, pls... pls don't bring those branded "CAMERA BAG" I will not mention those branded bags in this forum for their rights! and Crooks now a days know about this thing!

If your bring ur dSLR and a camera bag..you're just inviting them!

hope this info may help you!

cheers!!! :cheers:

and pls, pls... pls don't bring those branded "CAMERA BAG" I will not mention those branded bags in this forum for their rights!

Are you kidding? How do you think we can talk and discuss the bags if we cannot mention the brands?

generally, it's safe ... the hotel counter staff would usually take good care of the stuff ... most hotel rooms have safe boxes ...

as for branded camera bags ... domke, lowepro, crumpler ... the list goes on forever ...

Are you kidding? How do you think we can talk and discuss the bags if we cannot mention the brands?

hi Octarine,

gud day to u!! there are a lot of camera bags out there! (a lot to mention)
and i know that, u're one of those people whose in photography know which brands im talking about!

they can used camera bag (for their convenience) in travelling tken their own risk!

Cheers!! :cheers:

Hi chameleon,

My first question is:...are you & ur frend are in vacation mode? or taking a pictures of the scenery?

if just a vacation mode... my suggestion is don't bring your dSLR, if U have P&S (point & shoot camera) it will be better gather than ur dSLR! at least the P&S it can be in ur pocket!
and pls, pls... pls don't bring those branded "CAMERA BAG" I will not mention those branded bags in this forum for their rights! and Crooks now a days know about this thing!

If your bring ur dSLR and a camera bag..you're just inviting them!

hope this info may help you!

cheers!!! :cheers:

I think shutterblink bring out a good point, bring just a point and shoot if possible.
Feel safer, enjoy the trip w/o having to worry for stuff get stolen.
Does not attract so much attention. Slip it in/out of pocket or bag anywhere/anytime.

Enjoy your spa & massage~ :D

Post your pics when you get back.

No place has absolute security and safety. There are even threads here asking people for help where camera got stolen in Singapore.
If your main purpose is just "Spa and Pool" and hanging around then I don't see the need for a DSLR. Bring PnS and snap around. But if you intend to take some good pictures of scenery or places then bring your DSLR and have an eye on it.

I'd bring mine. But if you are paranoid about security, then you shouldn't bring it. It's really very simple. No one here at ClubSnap can promise you that your dSLR, for that matter, anything else, will not be stolen.

I will bring it even in the afterlife if i'm allowed to....:devil:

I will bring it and I only have those 'branded' bags. So just be extra careful lor. If you want a piece of mind then just bring a PnS lor. No need to crack your brain. I'm planning a trip to Batam too and will be bringing my DSLR.

If it's only the camera and nothing more than there will always be space in any normal backpack. Enough camouflage :)

i brought mine to batam 3 times.... -.- It is generally safe there. I even brought it along to shopping malls, eateries and beaches as well. My batam pics can be viewed at: batam set. Some of them are not in sets, so you might want to navigate around why flickr www.flickr.com/photos/nigel_4ever

Yup its safe. just dun go bring the highest end model like d3 to d300. i bought my backup body d60 over. kept it in my camera bag all the while when not in shooting mode. Put it back into the bag when not taking.

Hahaha good thing about having a second body. Nikon will love this thread. 1 camera owner having two camera bodies. no wonder they support this forum.

Lens wise i bring the cheapest. 18-55vr or wide angle primes or third party lens. gets the job done.

i brought mine over to Batam when i was there for new year eve last year. I didnt regret bringing it though, coz I managed to take some pics of the scenary and animals there.. i guess it depends on what ur intention is for going there.

why risk the safety of DSLR if you are going there to treat yourself to spa etc. ?
PnS should be good enough to capture your holiday.

Unless you are very sure that you will have time to indulge yourself in some serious photo taking, i think that you should just bring a compact camera.

Thanks all for your valuable advice! :)
After absorbing your feedback, I guess I likely won't bring my DSLR along since I don't have time for serious photo shooting and like some of you mentioned, since our main purpose is to relax & enjoy the spa. Also, after booking the hotel, I read up from tripadvisor that 1 room was broken into & the safe box in the room was even decoded last year and that Singaporean lost more than $10k of valuables... -_-"

Last edited:
Thanks all for your valuable advice! :)
After absorbing your feedback, I guess I likely won't bring my DSLR along since I don't have time for serious photo shooting and like some of you mentioned, since our main purpose is to relax & enjoy the spa. Also, after booking the hotel, I read up from tripadvisor that 1 room was broken into & the safe box in the room was even decoded last year and that Singaporean lost more than $10k of valuables... -_-"
damn.
this is why research rocks. you learn from other people's blunder!

Status
Not open for further replies.