Will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeSwitch

Oct 28, 2005
1.45N 103.83E
www.flickr.com
Just toying with an idea after seeing the Zigview Digital Viewfinder. If we use a web-cam attached to our DSLR viewfinder and plug into a laptop, will we be able to see a super magnification of the viewfinder? It would be useful for macro-photographer or remote photographing. imagine placing the setup 5 meters away (depending on length of usb cable and cable realease) and shoot those camera shy birds or butterflies. I do not have a webcam and thinking of buying one to try? Anyone thing this idea will work?

:dunno:

That will depend on how close your webcam can focus and also, how are you going to power your webcam out in the field? By a really long USB cable to your notebook?

An alternative might be to use those pinhole cameras with wireless transmission. You can check out Sim Lim Square for those.

Don't think webcam and pinhole cameras have lenses that can focus to such short distances...

That my concern. now trying to find one from my friends to try out. Strange is that none of my friends that I had asked have a webcam.

USB cable can be extended. no problem with that and I have one already.

Anyone have any idea what is a webcam's resolution?

Ah Pao said:
Don't think webcam and pinhole cameras have lenses that can focus to such short distances...
Pinhole cameras should work for all distances, but it will be too dim. Your viewfinder is corrected for somewhere around 4m so that your eye can see it when it's relaxed. So webcam should work fine.

Webcam resolution is usually about 320x240 or 640x480. As a preview it is quite ok.

lsisaxon said:
Pinhole cameras should work for all distances, but it will be too dim. Your viewfinder is corrected for somewhere around 4m so that your eye can see it when it's relaxed. So webcam should work fine.

Webcam resolution is usually about 320x240 or 640x480. As a preview it is quite ok.

Ok, thats means a webcam should work. Going to SL Square to look for one when free.

DeSwitch said:
Ok, thats means a webcam should work. Going to SL Square to look for one when free.
yeah.. but you need to find some way to secure the webcam there. :)

There is a webcam called a Snappy cam. You can find it at both Funan (Challenger ) and SLS. This camera can focus as close as 3 cm.

photobum said:
There is a webcam called a Snappy cam. You can find it at both Funan (Challenger ) and SLS. This camera can focus as close as 3 cm.

Will go window shopping and if there is a display can try on my SLR.. Hee

Status
Not open for further replies.