Will there be a D400?

Jedi2804

Feb 7, 2012
Talked to a Nikon staff in the IT show, according to him, there won't be a D400! D800 is the replacement for both D700(in FX mode) and D300(in DX mode). Even though I don't want to believe in it, but honestly speaking, it makes a bit sense to me. How do you guys view this?

Talked to a Nikon staff in the IT show, according to him, there won't be a D400! D800 is the replacement for both D700(in FX mode) and D300(in DX mode). Even though I don't want to believe in it, but honestly speaking, it makes a bit sense to me. How do you guys view this?

first off, the IT show's 'Nikon' staff, is unlikely to be from Nikon. more likely to be a staff from a sales company that is handling the Nikon sales booth, which is probably Alan Photo or Cathay Photo or the likes (paiseh, i dun know).

thus, not reliable source of information.

even if the source is creditable, doubt they will tell you what the master plan is, or, the source is not a high-level staff who is in the know.

Nikon has developed the DX format and recently, announced new lenses. highly unlikely they will close down the DX format just yet.

A high end DX format DSLR is still very much likely but in years to come, it might phase out as FX format gets cheaper and cheaper and cheaper.......

Haha, it's Bally photo anyway and the agenda seems quite clear: Dun wait anymore and buy a D7000 from me!! It's so out of stock now and I better cut you carrot before stock comes back if you wait longer!

Anyway, that was just my wild guess for his agenda. But the replacement for D300(s) is almost inevitable. Just look at the DX00 series, they made up a class of their own compare to any other series of bodies. Besides, Nikon has 3 more DSLRs to announce this year, my guess will be D400, D7100 and D3200 (A dummy book has been announced for this)

Nah. I still expect a D400, or a successor to the D300s by any other name, to surface. Otherwise, there is simply to large a price gap and Nikon may lose that market segment. Doubt they'd be pursuing a strategy that involves giving up a market segment.

That staff doesn't know what he's saying. In the first place, the D800 isn't a D700 replacement. It's a new line of FX body.

Quoted from TechRadar:
According to Nikon, it doesn't replace the D700, but rather sits alongside it in a new category that seems to be pretty squarely aimed at medium format users and portrait photographers.

Also, NikonRumours has already reported that "In addition to the D4 and D800, Nikon will announce three more DSLR cameras in 2012." They are highly likely to be DX bodies.

if there is no DX camera body to replace the D300s then the price point in between the D7000 and D700/D800 will be too huge and if i was the competition, i will take advantage of this gap and fill it. So i don't think Nikon will allow that.

Nikon will not be that stupid, alot of ppl misunderstood that the d7000 is d300s replacement, if you look at the spec sheet carefully, d7000 is partial magnesium alloy and accept sd card only while d300s is full magnesium alloy and accept both cf and sd card...

strikeback4 said:
Nikon will not be that stupid, alot of ppl misunderstood that the d7000 is d300s replacement, if you look at the spec sheet carefully, d7000 is partial magnesium alloy and accept sd card only while d300s is full magnesium alloy and accept both cf and sd card...

For me, the most obvious feature I use to draw is the maximum number of bracketed shots. D7000 80% maps to D90 feature list.

if there is no DX camera body to replace the D300s then the price point in between the D7000 and D700/D800 will be too huge and if i was the competition, i will take advantage of this gap and fill it. So i don't think Nikon will allow that.

I do agree the price gap is hug, but is there same hug technology gap left for D400 to fill in? That's my concern.

I do agree the price gap is hug, but is there same hug technology gap left for D400 to fill in? That's my concern.

Yes, there is quite a significant technology/feature gap between D7000 and D700. Unless they spec the D7100 to be very similar/better than the D300s class, the gap is still there

According to a local sales staff of a reputable business I've talked to, D90 is still being produced and sold in the asian markets... Reason being the price gap is too big a jump from D90 to D7000. So in effect, D7000 ISN'T really a replacement for D90. When D800/E comes, D700 will still be produced and sold (will we see a price drop of not, it's hard to say). Frankly, if you do not look at the age, one can consider both D700 and D800/E a class of their own. Technically, D7000 can't replace D300s because some features and ergonomics are not really "there" at the pro level yet, so you can't really say it's the king of DX. While some specs seems better than D300s from D7K's perspective, but c'mon... 6 FPS versus 8 FPS (with grip), which one do you think have a better chance of capturing critical moments within a split instance? Same thing for D700 and D800... max 4 FPS (at RAW) versus 8 FPS (with grip)?? So I'd say D700 will continue its run until a TRUE replacement appears... Same thing for D300s... There WILL be a replacement model for the king of DX, whether it's called D400 or not I don't really know. Who knows? D310?

How about (in a D400 or whatever the replacement is called):
1) 100% VF
2) 8 FPS standard (possibly 9 or 10 FPS with bat pack)?
3) 3.2 inch screen
4) 100 to 6400 native ISO or better?
5) Better HD video frame rates
6) 18 MP
7) FULL Mag-alloy body (as any pro togs expect)
etc etc...

good enough to take the D300s' place and humble D7000's position in the line up? :)

Last edited:

I doubt the D800 is meant to be replacement of the D300 although the DX mode of the D800 has better res than the D300. I believe the D800 is a replacement of the D700 in the FX range. I do think that it would be better to get the D7000 if u are keen to stay with DX.

Only way is to wait. Or get hired by Nikon, possibly!

Those who keep thinking that those "nikon staff" are really from nikon, just ask them the name of Nikon Sales Team Manager and Director, I bet some of us Cser knows better than them, just continue to let them talk **** & bull story, for me I only trust from offcial source from Nikon directly

Make me wonder what if Nikon launches D400 FX in photokina this year? Nay, this is my speculation only.....