Will the Olympus Pen dethrone the legendary LX3?

Will the Olympus Pen dethrone the legendary LX3?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kajoy

Mar 18, 2008
Any opinion from the pros here?

i personally think Pen would definitely shake the P&S and DSLR world... but however, all current products won't just change overnight just because of Pen... P&S would still be there, Semi-pro would still be there, DSLR wold still be there...

however, i do want my DSLR to be smaller... but Leica M with adaptor to mount to Pen is definitely overkill for my current skill... :sweat:

dethrone is not the right term. i think the pen will give the LX3 a run for its money.

Hi, Yes, Pen is mightier than the sword, unless LX3 comes with interchangeable lenses like G1

I don't think the Pen and LX3 are in the same category and likely caters to dif set of consumers. The LX3, like the GR-D are valued for their unobtrusiveness & great for stealth shots.

However, the Pen is too big & flashy for the same purpose, and is more versatile with interchangeable lenses.

Pen and LX3 are different things.

If one does not need the power of the dSLR-like, Pen maybe overkill at 2x the price of LX3.
In a way, LX3 is more "versatile" as a "all-in-one" package. But this is not the case for Pen. One example is macro and flash.

So IMHO, definitely the Pen will affect sales of LX3 or current LX3 users. But then again, u have to think that the LX3 has been out for quite some time already. Its only a matter of time some model comes in and "dethrone" the LX3. Personally i think comparing Pen with LX3 is not fair.

LX3 owners die die say "NO!!!"

Soon-to-be Pen owners die die say "YES!!!"

:p

I believe I'm in both group... an my stand is..."no yet". :bsmilie:

I suspect that LX-3 would have superior AF... will need to test both of them side by side to verify tho.

Why are we comparing tua-pau and siew mai? Furthermore they don't grow on the same tree. One is a PnS, the other is a dSLR, albeit in minaturised form.

What we can compare is the physical size and maybe even retro-ness. In terms of IQ, I would think a M4/3 would cream a 1/1.6" sensor anytime. In terms of functional usability, the ability of changing lenses also beat a fixed lens anytime. But then again, you can get, what, 2 LX3s for one EP-1 - provided you can lay your hands on one! :heart:

I just bought a 2nd hand LX3. Compared to my Fuji E900, it's fantastic. But compared to my 5D, no fight.

The Olympus Pen will be almost double the price of the LX3 (if you include the flash), so I agree with the fellow clubsnappers that the cameras aren't in the same league.

Nonetheless, I think large sensor compacts will be the next big thing, just like the film days when compacts and SLRs share the same film format and both can take equally good quality pics. : )

Why are we comparing tua-pau and siew mai? Furthermore they don't grow on the same tree. One is a PnS, the other is a dSLR, albeit in minaturised form.

IMO the IQ is probably closer to the lx3 than to the 5D like munwei said.

That and the similar form factor is why we compare the two. they are pocketable carry everywhere type of camera.

Lx-3 is like a primary camera for some.

The Pen is a secondary.

Why so?
Most DSLR users cannot live with small sensors, fixed lenses. Myself included.
Alot of LX-3 users i know own only an LX-3.

Personally, i'm interested in the Pen F due to it's capability to mount C-lenses. We're looking at 25mm f0.95 lenses at a few hundred a pop here. DOF is not that shallow due to the smaller sensor than APS-C or Full Frames. Bokeh signatures different from today's lenses, and of course, the superspeed which i love my night street photography for.

It's no longer the de-throning of compact cameras we're talking about here - even the DSLRs will soon be at risk! Not now, but some years down the road. Vast EVF improvements, cheaper sensors, better algorithms and processing. Very soon, one will no longer need speedy lenses for anything other than bokeh itself.

But if you want to compare, try the Sigma DP2 vs. Pen

Last edited:
I have both a Leica D-Lux 4 and E-P1.
Doing a quick comparison in low light condition in my room just now, the E-P1 AF noticeably faster than the the D-Lux 4.
Taking shots of the the same subject at ISO 800 for the E-P1 and ISO 400 for the D-Lux 4, the noise level of the E-P1 was very much better than that of the D-Lux 4.... the fine text on a box in the E-P1 image was clearly readable while that in the D-Lux 4 shot was all smeary and mushy.

Guess I'll be retiring my D-Lux 4 now. Such a shame as it is a beautifully made camera and I had just only purchased a third party grip for it. :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.