Digital Age
www.pbase.com
me using F707, after reading the manual, i found out that when
using:
2560 x 1920 = 5 mega pixels
2048 x 1536 = 3 mega pixels
1280 x 960 = 1.3 mega pixels and
640 x 480 = 0.35 mega pixels

so if i use the settings at 2560 x 1920(5 megapix) to take a picture, and when i resize it in photoshop to 1280 x 960...will the image be reduce to 1.3 mega-pixels automatically? or will it still remain at 5 mega pixels?:dunno:

Originally posted by AMDer
me using F707, after reading the manual, i found out that when
using:
2560 x 1920 = 5 mega pixels
2048 x 1536 = 3 mega pixels
1280 x 960 = 1.3 mega pixels and
640 x 480 = 0.35 mega pixels

so if i use the settings at 2560 x 1920(5 megapix) to take a picture, and when i resize it in photoshop to 1280 x 960...will the image be reduce to 1.3 mega-pixels automatically? or will it still remain at 5 mega pixels?:dunno:

It will discard all the extra pixels, and you will end up with a 1.3 megapixel file. That's what resizing does. :)

Regards
CK

That's provided you keep your resolution the same. If you increase from 72 -> 300 dpi and resize back, your file size will be different.

Originally posted by ckiang

It will discard all the extra pixels, and you will end up with a 1.3 megapixel file. That's what resizing does. :)

Regards
CK

then dun you guys find it worthwhile to take at 5 mega then?

i usually take at 1280 x 960, coz my LCD only 17"...i tried taking a 2560 x 1920...but ended up scolling up and down just to view the image,...hahaha...so like very stupid like that...

so wat you guys think?

i duno wat u use to open
but my winxp default image viewer will get any pic larger than my screen to fit my screen size

Originally posted by mistral
That's provided you keep your resolution the same. If you increase from 72 -> 300 dpi and resize back, your file size will be different.

anyway to find out the resolution of a image? is resolution the same as the 'size' of the pic?

I'm using photoshop where you can choose "image size" to resize it. It's useful because you can choose measurements like inches, pixels, mm, etc.
The dpi is shown also there.

You can use ACDSee 4.01 to view your larger than screen pictures by choosing to "lock" the picture size to "fit to screen".

I use BreezeBrowser to manage my Canon RAW files. It rotates the pictures very fast.

Why people are so mega-pixel crazy when they can't even fit the whole pic on the screen?

When you resize down a pic, the program just throw away the extra pixels, resulting in a pic that has 'less megapixel'. Unless the program just resize it for viewing (Should we call that zooming?). Why many people shoot at the highest resolution/image size is because it allows more freedom in cropping and it is very important when it comes to quality of prints, especially if you want to blow it up large. Using a 'low megapixel' or image which is small and blowing up big can results in the printed picture looking 'blocky' with pixelation of the edges... No good.

I heard that some MF digital back has something like 15 megapixels (really?!?!!?).... This is used where printing quality cannot be compromised and things are going big..... Maybe like the size of a cityblock?

anyway to find out the resolution of a image? is resolution the same as the 'size' of the pic?

Resolution is contravasial... It can mean many things.... The image size can also be refered as resolution. Another resolution (which he was refering to, is the printing resolution, or PPI, pixels per inch, the amount of pixels that's going to be put in an inch....

In DTP, we always create graphics as high a quality/resolution as we can go. This way, we are not limited by its application, whether its for print or for web. A high quality/high resolution can be resized to save space, if the needs arise, but a low resolution image cannot be resize bigger as the quality lost would be of a great concern, especially when it comes to digital images. Therefore rule of the thumb for digital images, regardless of its intended purpose is to create it in as high a resolution/DPI as possible as you never know what you gonna use it with.

then dun you guys find it worthwhile to take at 5 mega then?

i usually take at 1280 x 960, coz my LCD only 17"...i tried taking a 2560 x 1920...but ended up scolling up and down just to view the image,...hahaha...so like very stupid like that...

so wat you guys think?

The reason behind shooting a high resolution is that you have more choices later whether to resize it down or not. A higher resolution picture allows you to print at a larger size. The picture does not have to fit your monitor.

If you shoot for web/email/monitor display only, you can probably choose a lower resolution, like 1280x960 or lower.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.