Will recession mean significantly cheaper goods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parchiao

Deregistered
Jan 2, 2003
Visit site
I know for certain that property prices will drop, so far it has been trending upwards when it is so obvious that a recession is looming. I can't remember how it affected other things like photography equiptment, or even clothing. I do remember that there were some hawker stalls selling food at very cheap prices. Point to note, we are not talking about theory here. Unlike the last recession, the SGD is not taking a hit.

Can you all recall what happenned in the last recession?

Last recession hor I remembermany people had to eat fried tree bark and lalang soup for survival.

There was very little vegetation left when we came out of the recession. :)

End up costing us more money to replace the trees

Waiting for housing prices to come down more.

Meanwhile saving saving ..

Ryan

Waiting for housing prices to come down more.

Meanwhile saving saving ..

Ryan

yah.. i'm waiting for housing price to come down too.
But recession can also means that things can be still expensive, and despite the jobless rate increase.

Last edited:
not really... it boils down to what the company wanna do to survive.

In recession, if you sell common items, yes, u wanna survive, u have to sell cheaper and entice ppl to buy so you can survive... but if nobody buys... then individual item profit is more important than overall profit. so you might even buy things which are more expensive to cover your running cost and other misc stuff.

thats when it gets tricky... in recession, most manufacturers will start to slow down the pace in order to create demands, so if demand over supply, cost will go up if its a necessity to a particular trade... so if you need to buy regardless, you have to pay the premium.

its still the same, demand create supply... recession or not. survival of the fittest.

yah.. i'm waiting for housing price to come down too.
But recession can also means that things can be still expensive, and despite the jobless rate increase.

Recession as a time to pick up better deals for the long run.
Not talking about cameras/lenses for sure, but housing, long term investments :bsmilie:
Juts have to be you are not jobless, and work even harder for capital accumulation.

Ryan

There won't be cheaper goods. The price will remain as it is. However there will be lesser jobs. I remember in 1997-1998 a lot of people who come out of NS have difficulty finding jobs. So me and my army friends work as warehouse packers at an aircraft engineering company for 6 months. The work was quite simple. We just have to pack the ordered aircraft parts into boxes, seal them, and then load them onto the long vehicles and lorries. That was the time I knew how to operate those hydraulic stuff. Physically taxing, but we learn quite a lot of air engineering SOPs and aircraft and helicopter parts.

I believe that basic necessity cost will not go down but go up instead. whereas things that are more for luxury may see a price reduction (of cos, as mention by others above don't expect to see big changes in $ amt).

Status
Not open for further replies.