will photography ever die out?

kwanhan

Aug 17, 2009
Redhill
PAPER 1 (90 minutes)

"Will photography ever die out?"

will it ever die to video?

will it die like donut craze, bubble tea craze (although got koi and gong cha revival), popcorn craze (which must, inevitably, die too?)

will it die one day when e-books finally take over physical print?

Discuss, giving relevant historical, technological examples to support your argument. (25 marks)

lol... I fail at this exam..

25 marks gib you back la!

photography will forever live on as long as my eyes can see!

Did film die out when digital cameras were introduced?
Did drawing and painting ever die out due to photography?
Did bicycles die out due to motorcycles?
Did hawker centers die out due to foodcourts?
Did brooms die out due to vacuum cleaners?
Did fans die out due to air-conditioning?

Video has been around for ages and I don't see it replacing photography for the last few decades, the trend might die down but photography will never die out.

Photographs are memories, and memories are treasure that no one can steal!

Did film die out when digital cameras were introduced?
Did drawing and painting ever die out due to photography?
Did bicycles die out due to motorcycles?
Did hawker centers die out due to foodcourts?
Did brooms die out due to vacuum cleaners?
Did fans die out due to air-conditioning?

Video has been around for ages and I don't see it replacing photography for the last few decades, the trend might die down but photography will never die out.

:thumbsup:

with reference to example #3

authentic hawker food is dying out though... especially when you have food court stalls claiming to sell ramen but taste like ban mian :bsmilie:

what about traditional crafts?

when the end has come.... all the trees die out.... no more paper.... then... maybe pen and pencil will die out.

OR

when technology advances to the point whereby we can do and communicate pretty much what we want through wires hooked to our brains... then maybe our fingers will degenerate and become vestigial appendages... cannot use...

... then pencil and pen die out too lor :bsmilie:

PAPER 1 (90 minutes)

will it die like donut craze, bubble tea craze (although got koi and gong cha revival), popcorn craze (which must, inevitably, die too?)

Discuss, giving relevant historical, technological examples to support your argument. (25 marks)

What a waste of time! Does it matter?

PAPER 1 (90 minutes)

I don't think donuts and bubble tea existed 2 centuries ago and mind you donut is still a big thing, maybe just not here.

When photography dies, what's there to put on e-books should it take over prints?

Historical, technological examples? That's asking a lot in return for a bunch of oxymoron questions isn't it?

when the end has come.... all the trees die out.... no more paper.... then... maybe pen and pencil will die out.

OR

when technology advances to the point whereby we can do and communicate pretty much what we want through wires hooked to our brains... then maybe our fingers will degenerate and become vestigial appendages... cannot use...

... then pencil and pen die out too lor :bsmilie:

When the end comes, pencils will be the least of your worries.....

your point being?

Maybe I'll write this essay, history style, if I get too bored :bsmilie:

Nothing wrong to ponder; though as some have rightfully pointed out it really doesn't matter. A better question that can be extrapolated would be: What are you into photography for? Personally, I do it to convey what I feel when taking a glance at a beautiful scene and breathe it in. Some may have ulterior motives, yet others may be in it for a sense of achievement, and still others may just want to jump in on a trend.

Certainly photography might not be as rife before as it is currently. I suspect it would have more proliferated earlier on, but for the relative cost of having it as a hobby. With increased purchasing power and technological advancement leading to much greater affordability, naturally photography has become more attractive as a pastime in recent years. It is after all , something easily done and requiring relatively little investment in the form of time. The modern commodity in cities that is in great shortage is time. Rearing a fish needs consistent commitment. Building a boat needs hard work over a sustained period. Doing archery needs continuous practice. What does indulging in so-called photography involve? Pressing a button and charging batteries, when it is stripped down to its basics. It is not hard to see why photography is all the rage today.

TBC. Reached my stop.

As an artform, NEVAH!...

Before photography exists, the most basic artforms to capture nature, people, animals, society and things in full realism is through the laborious tasks / efforts of using brush, pen, pencils, charcoals, hammer and chisels, etc, etc, etc... Photography is a mere extension of that process, and at best, does it even more efficiently than the previous tools ever created by humans to capture what he/she sees or envisions.

Film or digital, it is just a "method" photography uses to capture images. In the unforseable future, something else may just surpace/replace the "digital" age, but photography as a whole will still prevail. As we humans are obsessed with capturing that instance of reality which we hope will last longer than our very own lives... To be remembered in history, to be unforgotten... To reach immortality status...

Video replacing photographs? Are you prepared to spend most of your waking moments to sift through thousands of video stills just to find that perfect image for the magazine cover? :think:

When wanting to indulge in a serious thought, why do we need to pause for a moment as if for the niggly need to stop time... Why not just walk along as time continues and indulge your deep thoughts with it at the same time? Will we not lose focus?

Last edited:
and waiting for the tides to hit the rocks. :bsmilie:
The moon is drifting away from Earth at a lighting fast velocity of 38 mm per Julian year and soon there will be no more tides but not before the ocean boils away as the Sun start growing into a red giant in one billion years time. ;p

Last edited:
The moon is drifting away from Earth at a lighting fast velocity of 38 mm per Julian year and soon there will be no more tides but not before the ocean boils away as the Sun grows into a red giant in one billion years time. ;p

and you'll be there to snap a XMM with such a glorious backdrop? :bsmilie:

no, we are all too addicted to photography for it to die out.

:bsmilie: