Will most of Nikon's lenses even make full use of the D800's 36MP capability?

mscommerce

Sep 9, 2004
Orchard Area
Except for a few very high quality FX lenses designed more recently, will the majority of Nikon's lenses, including 'old' design primes such as the 24/2.8 measure up to the extreme resolution of the new sensor? Even with a 12 mp FX D700 or D3, corner sharpness of many of these lenses cannot match the capability of the sensor. In these instances, 36 mp will not yield increased sharpness in the corners. Am I right?

A friend of mine found this video footage on Vimeo.

Everything was shot with multiple D800s and most of the Pro line of Nikkor lenses.

Joy Ride

Except for a few very high quality FX lenses designed more recently, will the majority of Nikon's lenses, including 'old' design primes such as the 24/2.8 measure up to the extreme resolution of the new sensor? Even with a 12 mp FX D700 or D3, corner sharpness of many of these lenses cannot match the capability of the sensor. In these instances, 36 mp will not yield increased sharpness in the corners. Am I right?

Some one made the point somewhere (forgot where) that the Nikon V1 has a CX sensor of 10MP. If you scale that to FX, it is the equivalent of 74MP. With the FT1 on it, most F mount G lenses do not show any issue. So at least for the center of these lenses, 36MP should not be an issue.

But of course, "alive must see person, dead must see corpse"... must see the actual tests on various lenses then can say for sure.

UncleFai said:
Some one made the point somewhere (forgot where) that the Nikon V1 has a CX sensor of 10MP. If you scale that to FX, it is the equivalent of 74MP. With the FT1 on it, most F mount G lenses do not show any issue. So at least for the center of these lenses, 36MP should not be an issue.

But of course, "alive must see person, dead must see corpse"... must see the actual tests on various lenses then can say for sure.

Of course, the CX sensor format only utilizes the center of each lens.

Nikon commission that video as part of the D800 marketing collaterals.

My best guess is this. You may have to move on, simply because MF/film era lens designs were for a certain parameter set. With digital SLR moving beyond 10MP any mismatching between lens capabilities and the chip will show up. Fundamental was that film design could accept some curvature when image focus on to film since film essential had a thickness; digital needs a image focused on a flat plane, down thru a well like pathway to get to the sensor. The new series of lens would be designed for DSLRs, different coating to minimize ghosting ect. The trinity lens should be within the needed level.

Corner to corner sharpness may not necessary be a Holy Grail thing. If it really that resolved then you could have more clutter than you really want for. Photography is more than doing a xerox of what is in front of the lens.

Corner to corner sharpness may not necessary be a Holy Grail thing. If it really that resolved then you could have more clutter than you really want for. Photography is more than doing a xerox of what is in front of the lens.

Well said. Just think, what has the D800 changed? Nothing -- bokeh, colour response, composition, etc, remain as important as ever. I doubt anyone of us would like to look at corner-to-corner ultra sharp but badly taken boring photographs. Having the D800 doesn't mean shooting at f8 all the time just to maximise sharpness.

As for lenses, I don't think one needs to have the expensive f2.8 trinity to get good results. I can think of many not so expensive Nikon lenses that can deliver the goods, eg, AFS 50 f1.8G, 60mm f2.8G micro, AIS 105/2.5, AIS 28/2.8, 24/2.8, AF 80-200 f2.8D, AF 85/1.8D, etc. And you don't need to always shoot at f8.

you're likely to get poorer performance from wide angles than Tele due to light rays not parallel to sensor plan for WA. Standard and tele should be better.

A friend of mine found this video footage on Vimeo.

Everything was shot with multiple D800s and most of the Pro line of Nikkor lenses.

Joy Ride

Amazing quality!!

you're likely to get poorer performance from wide angles than Tele due to light rays not parallel to sensor plan for WA. Standard and tele should be better.

You mean perpendicular or telecentric??:)

Good catch, I meant not parallel when hitting the sensor, I.e. Perpendicular. you'reabsolutely right.

For wide-open in the center;

For the nano primes I'd say maybe only 35mm f1.4G & 85mm f1.4G may suffer slightly at 36 mpx. They will still deliver with slight sharpening as they have well controlled CA performance.

For consumer level FF lenses the 50mm f1.4G will suffer as well. Stopping down to f2 will save the lens and make it a good contender for 36 mpx.

Older prime lenses such as 85mm f1.4D, 50mm f1.4D will be quite disastrous & those owning them and wanting to purchase the D800 for 36 mpx may consider disposing & upgrading to the newer G versions.

The 80-200 AF-D will be hit by very obvious CA.

Corners of 17-35mm f2.8D & 70-200mm f2.8 VR I will look like crap.

For the current trinity I predict the 70-200 VR II will perform the worse at 36 mpx. 24-70G & 14-24G are fantastic contenders!

Last edited:

For the nano primes I'd say maybe only 35mm f1.4G & 85mm f1.4G may suffer slightly at 36 mpx. They will still deliver with slight sharpening as they have well controlled CA performance.

For consumer level FF lenses the 50mm f1.4G will suffer as well. Stopping down to f2 will save the lens and make it a good contender for 36 mpx.

Older prime lenses such as 85mm f1.4D, 50mm f1.4D will be quite disastrous & those owning them and wanting to purchase the D800 for 36 mpx may consider disposing & upgrading to the newer G versions.

For the current trinity I predict the 70-200 VR II will perform the worse at 36 mpx. 24-70G & 14-24G are fantastic contenders!

I doubt the old 85mm 1.4D and 50mm 1.4D will be 'disastrous' in comparison to DSLR image quality after stopping down to match its intended use. the D800 is more of a studio camera in place of medium format/digital backs. or maybe landscapes where stopping down is also crucial, but the 14-24 is definitely sharp enough like you mentioned.

However if we compare Hasselblad lenses on a Hasselblad body to an old 50mm F1.4D on D800.. thats quite a disaster.

So many worries and restrictions.
There is still a place for the fantastic D700.

So many worries and restrictions.
There is still a place for the fantastic D700.

Makes me want the D700 now ;) I mean the price is... extremely reasonable.

What do you think about AIS lenses?

Maybe the older lenses won't look as good in comparisons but to call it crap and disastrous so early without even using it or a doing proper tests is an overstatement.

I don't understand why you worry so much about resolution of older prime lens.
For D7000, 16MP 23.6x15.6mm2 size, it would be around 208pixel/mm.
For D800, 36MP 36x24mm2 size, it would be around 204pixel/mm.

If you dont have problem using 85f1.4D or 50f1.4D on D7000, why should you have problem using on D800?

Last edited:
NR reports Nikon patented 18mm and 20mm f1.8 FX lenses. Looks like they trying to complete the consumer grade FX lens range for D800.