Will getting MP's letter be of use in NS ICT time off/deferment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
Hey guys,

Just wondering.... Have any of you been unsuccessful in trying to get time off/deferment from ICT, and then went to see your MP and you finally got it?

I'm very disappointed now. I requested for only a 1 day time off from my ICT (with supervisor's letter) but was downright rejected. :( Applied via the NS portal.

I have this overseas work conference to attend and it clashes one day of my ICT. It's not always I get this opportunity which is very useful for my work. And no, no one else in my dept can attend it. All I'm asking is a time off and they won't even allow. Or perhaps cos part of my ICT extends during the weekend also? That's rare.

Am thinking of seeing MP but not sure if it helps. The thing is, my name was already submitted last year for me to attend the conference. Earlier than the ICT message I got. And I don't hold any important appointment.

Somehow, I find SAF to be very ruthless. While I think one should attend ICT whenever possible, I find their lack of understanding to be an intrusion into my personal life and well-being. Not sure if any of you have this kind of feeling. It's like, even after ORD, you are tied tightly to SAF where you have to forego almost all important personal commitments.

Or do any of you have been successful thru other means to get that time off/deferment? TIA....

Not advisable to break the chain of command, best if you could call up and enquire with your immediate superior first.

Yes that's why I want to be sure also.

But I've already applied thru the "proper channel". My mail was forwarded to my unit and it is clear that they have read it and rejected my application.

Unlike in the past, there is no way for me to call the unit or speak to anyone cos now they want us to go thru the NS portal thingy. There's no voice/person; just an "Unsuccessful" thru sms.

Yes that's why I want to be sure also.

But I've already applied thru the "proper channel". My mail was forwarded to my unit and it is clear that they have read it and rejected my application.

Unlike in the past, there is no way for me to call the unit or speak to anyone cos now they want us to go thru the NS portal thingy. There's no voice/person; just an "Unsuccessful" thru sms.
Try and get the number of your CO and contact him personally before consulting with the MP. Typically SAF does not kowtow to MP request and will most probably be rejected, who knows the MP might also be appealing after his application for ICT deferment was denied. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
But I've already applied thru the "proper channel".
BTW, the "proper channel" only goes as far as to the chao keng PES C/E 18 to 20 years old NSF sitting in a cubicle at NSCC and referring to a list of templates in response to your application of deferment from ICT. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
i kanna before. u can email back ns.sg. they will help u get the contact etc. as long u email them and they reply u,keep it and wait. i needed to defer my ICT due to wedding and it took them almost 1-2 month to get back to me. with more than 10 emails send out. i also scare kanna charge. no need see MP if is valid reason

fyi, mp got not much power to interfere with mindef/army stuff:bsmilie:

most probably, they had already a mutual agreement or understanding of all these application for study leaves, works conference, maternity, wedding, house removing, holidays tour, mental illness , you name it they have it , afterall National service started in 1967, if there is a numerical records of any sort of application of such, maybe yours ,might be registered in the millionth.

Simple reason they tell you...Nation before self.

But of course if the conference can mean so much to your future,as you say, once in a life time opportunity then just go attend it and worry later. Any punishment will only be temporary, it will not be life imprisonment or caning but your future career and life will be more important.

But of course if the conference can mean so much to your future,as you say, once in a life time opportunity then just go attend it and worry later. Any punishment will only be temporary, it will not be life imprisonment or caning but your future career and life will be more important.
Not worth the trouble to face a disciplinary committee at NSSC under charges of AWOL IMHO. :nono:

Last edited:
MP would not support SELF before NATION, so if SELF is more important, then have to do it the hard way. Same for those scholarship students who prefers to remain overseas.

MP would not support SELF before NATION, so if SELF is more important, then have to do it the hard way. Same for those scholarship students who prefers to remain overseas.
If it is just 1 day, he can do what every other kengster does best, get a MC. Beats risking potential court marshal with a sentence to DB for AWOL.

Maybe that's a better way out instead of going to the MP.

MP only can help if they see there's a justifiable reason for what one's seeking.

Try and get the number of your CO and contact him personally before consulting with the MP. Typically SAF does not kowtow to MP request and will most probably be rejected, who knows the MP might also be appealing after his application for ICT deferment was denied. :bsmilie:

one of the MP is Minister for Defence

Sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, please speak to your PC, and then OC and CO. I had no problem getting time-off from my last 2 in-camps and those were applied not even through NS Portal but on the spot.

I guess I must be lucky ...

All the best ...

The tricky part is the overseas trip, presume with flight. Should you fail to return on time, you will be charged. Which is why you need to discuss this with you PC and OC on the liability.

the only creditable person to speak to is either your unit S1, chief clerk or OC.

if possible, speak to S1 directly and also keep your OC in the loop.

First, when did they inform you of your in camp and when did you put in your request for the time off/deferment? This is very important as the earlier you put in your request the better your chances. If the request is put in too late, they sometime don't even consider.

ICT..........just talk to your PC or OC....they can give you a day off........see it all the time during my ICT.......the PC or OC will say someone is coming/reporting the next day for ICT. Anyway, after their agreement, best to remind them again nearer the date.

and if your camp has an active (S1) administration branch, keep them informed about your PC/OC agreement.

the only creditable person to speak to is either your unit S1, chief clerk or OC.

if possible, speak to S1 directly and also keep your OC in the loop.

This is true. Many years back I went to speck to my S1 in person and I told him that I got an oversea shoot and the total loss in income will be $15K. I later understand that another guy ( same appointment ) who apply later got rejected because I was already release earlier.

Hi all,

Many thanks for the suggestions and input. I appreciate it.

yqt: I got it early this month and sent my application one week after that. My name was sent to my HR last year that I will be going for the trip. The ICT is 6 months later. So definitely there is sufficient time.

cabbySHE: No... I don't think I want to go for the conference and risk the consequences later. Those guys can be nasty. Considered AWOL. I don't think it's that light?

9V Orion images: Oh man... You mean to say my letter is not reviewed by S1 or the higher authorities but by clerks and they are the ones who decide if I can get the deferment/time off?!!

iMac08: I think your case is a strong point. Usually if you are getting married or wife giving birth that time, they will accept your deferment.

AdamGoi: Thanks for your empathy. Yes, I know it's usual to get valid time offs on the spot. But problem is, mine's an overseas trip. So I've got to arrange all the air tic etc. Need to know much earlier if they will approve my time-off.

But strangely, the ICT is 8 days, and extends through the weekend, ending Monday. My conference starts on Sunday. So I'm asking for Monday off. But I have a feeling the ICT will also be conducted in the weekends? Never experienced this b4 though. Usually weekends are off. Maybe that's why they rejected my time-off? I dunno... :dunno:

Gizmore: Ok thanks for the suggestion... I suppose I have to write back to ask for my S1's contact directly?

You know, if SAF want to "play punk", they can say anything. Like some of you say: Nation comes first (if that's the case, no reason given to SAF matters really, unless the NSman is dead or crippled!), or you can go conference next time (it's not always I get this chance, or I have to wait for 1 more year at least), or get another colleague to go (my colleagues have other commitments and we are a small group in the company), etc etc.

Sure, it's not a life and death thingy... But I'm wondering, do they always have the right to stop you from personal upgrading or personal decisions that will impact your work/life in the name of Singapore Law? Very depressing future like that... I feel like I've alreayd ORDed for so many years but still chained to serving SAF full-time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.