Will fungus spread in a dry box?

red_ryder

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
Hi guys,

I haven’t used my kit for half a year, been busy with something. My digicab was switched off without my knowledge for a few months, and now my lenses kenna fungus. I have sent my 18-200VR lens for cleaning, but there are 2 more lenses which I hardly ever use. I already spent $300 to replace a lens element in the VR lens, and I don’t feel like spending more money to send the others for cleaning, and the amount of fungus seems very little (according to my naked eye inspection).

If the digicab is working properly, is it safe to store my 18-200VR lens with these other lenses? Would the fungus spread in a working dry box?

Hi guys,

I haven’t used my kit for half a year, been busy with something. My digicab was switched off without my knowledge for a few months, and now my lenses kenna fungus. I have sent my 18-200VR lens for cleaning, but there are 2 more lenses which I hardly ever use. I already spent $300 to replace a lens element in the VR lens, and I don’t feel like spending more money to send the others for cleaning, and the amount of fungus seems very little (according to my naked eye inspection).

If the digicab is working properly, is it safe to store my 18-200VR lens with these other lenses? Would the fungus spread in a working dry box?
you may try to use uv light kill them
then they will not spread

I don't think its safe to store everything together.Fungus might spread to your 18-200:)

P.S.First you said dry cab,then you say dry box.So which one are u using?

I don't think its safe to store everything together.Fungus might spread to your 18-200:)

P.S.First you said dry cab,then you say dry box.So which one are u using?

i think it is dry cabinet, dry box won't "switch off". :bsmilie:

anyway, better to store them separately to be safe.

the best way i have heard of to prevent fungus growth is to use the lenses regularly.
those stuff grows becoz the air is stagnant.
have the habit of using them, taking them out to "exercise" once in a while.
put them together or not, it doesn't matter becoz ultimately fungus will still grows if u don't touch it.

Hi guys,

Good question! Something I am wondering about as well ..... will "infected" lenses affect non-fungus lenses if stored together?

Good question! Something I am wondering about as well ..... will "infected" lenses affect non-fungus lenses if stored together?

Yes. Spores spread.

I ever asked this same question to the sales person selling the digicab, mind u, this person is from a reputable camera shop. His answer was, if the environment is not condusive for the fungus to grow, it will not spread.

A close friend and a veteran in photography also gave the same answer.

Anyway, YMMV. Just my 2 cents worth.:)

I ever asked this same question to the sales person selling the digicab, mind u, this person is from a reputable camera shop. His answer was, if the environment is not condusive for the fungus to grow, it will not spread.

A close friend and a veteran in photography also gave the same answer.

Anyway, YMMV. Just my 2 cents worth.:)

The spores will spread. They may not germinate, but you have ticking timebombs.