Will fungus in lens spread?

EvolutionZ

Nov 22, 2009
Hi guys, if i bought a lens that has a very tiny fungus.. will the fungus spread if i take good care of it( placing lens in dry cabi when not in use etc etc) or issit a must to clear the fungus?

thanks.

I would suggest clearing it ASAP.

any idea how much issit to clean it? cause im getting a minolta lens soon that has a small fungus that wont affect IQ (according to seller) if the cleaning price is too high then i rather get a good condition one.. thanks.

I would suggest clearing it ASAP.

any idea how much issit to clean it? cause im getting a minolta lens soon that has a small fungus that wont affect IQ (according to seller) if the cleaning price is too high then i rather get a good condition one.. thanks.

Bro Rashkae said it correctly. You got to clean the fungus immediately. In our humid evnvironment, the fungus will continue to grow and spew more spores until everything in your dry cab gets infected.

So if you buy a 2nd hand lens with a tinsy bit of fungus, you got to kill the fungus with bleech and then clean up everything with 70% IPA.

If you don't have confidence to do it yourself, you can send it to the service centre to have it professionally cleaned but that will cost you from $30 upwards.:cool:

Bro Rashkae said it correctly. You got to clean the fungus immediately. In our humid evnvironment, the fungus will continue to grow and spew more spores until everything in your dry cab gets infected.

So if you buy a 2nd hand lens with a tinsy bit of fungus, you got to kill the fungus with bleech and then clean up everything with 70% IPA.

If you don't have confidence to do it yourself, you can send it to the service centre to have it professionally cleaned but that will cost you from $30 upwards.:cool:

$30 is if the fungus is easy to get to. If it is between elements that need total disassembly of the lens... Good luck...

Better buy a lens in better condition save the hassle and money.

What are the preventive measure in the first place?

Is it necessary to clean it everytime after use at the end of the day?
When not in use it must be in the dry cabinet all the time?

what if i am going overseas for a week and am bringing my DSLR along?
I will not have a dry cabinet for the storing of the camera.
what must i do in such scenarios ??

please guide along.

What are the preventive measure in the first place?

Is it necessary to clean it everytime after use at the end of the day?

please guide along.

Just leave it in the dry cab whenever possible.

A few weeks overseas is ok... especially if the place is cold, or if you are staying in hotel. Cold temp = dry air.

And if you are travelling, you are most likely using your camera everyday in and out. so no problem there either.

Fungus like to grow in stale, static, humid, dark conditions.

Last edited:

Yup, that's a good idea.

please guide along.

Shoot more, think less, relax and enjoy. A DSLR is not made of tofu.

so fungus can spread to other lens in the cabinet too ?

i read somewhere in CS that said fungus will not spread like virus . . . . so which is true ?

so fungus can spread to other lens in the cabinet too ?

i read somewhere in CS that said fungus will not spread like virus . . . . so which is true ?

Fungus is not like super virus la....

But fungus spores are always in the air. If conditions are favorable, it will grow. And you will see it grow in multiple places. and when you move the infected lens around, more spores are released.

i afraid my old canons got fungus . . . my naked eyes can't see any . . . :think:

think i will wrap it up in plastic bags . . . and put in the dry cabinet . . .

i afraid my old canons got fungus . . . my naked eyes can't see any . . . :think:

aiyoh bro, film camera right? just open the back look inside, take out the lens look from the other side... flip the mirror look at the shutter curtains... if ok.. then ok already la..

for lens, us a torchlight shine in can see...

if eyeball no have, then no worries la.

There are always fungus spores in the air anyways... don't be paranoid la bro.

ok . . . don't forget our date for film shot one day . . . you will be busy over the weekends . . . :D

Bro...don't overdo it mah. Can't see means don't have yet.:cool:

Prevention is better than cure . . . :)

now the film canon and the digital nikon is fighting in the dry cabinet . . . :bsmilie:

That will invite the fungus to grow. Plastic bag will seal the air, prevent air flow. Spores trapped inside will grow happily provided they find something organic.

If the fungus is in the middle lens element means have to disassamble whole lens?