Will flash damage animals' eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSeet

Mar 11, 2003
North East
www.kelvinseet.com
Will my camera flash cause damage to animals' eyes if I go too near them to take their photo?

Eg. Fish, dogs, cats etc

Thanks!

KSeet said:
Will my camera flash cause damage to animals' eyes if I go too near them to take their photo?

Eg. Fish, dogs, cats etc

Thanks!

I think once or twice should be okay unless u going to flash them 100 times ? :p
Try flashing urself and see how many times you can take it ? hehe

majere2sg said:
I think once or twice should be okay unless u going to flash them 100 times ? :p
Try flashing urself and see how many times you can take it ? hehe

hee..okie. once I took my father's luohan fish lots of times and the next few days it was a bit whitish and pale...maybe scared of the light...

Azure said:
Please don't flash cats in the face. Angled and bounced from a distance beyond 5 metres is okay, but not in the face.
ok. that was an answer I was looking for. HOw do I create a DIY bouncing unit for my in built flash? Thanks.

It will definately hurt or shock the animals.

Try this at night:

Close all the light in your room and close the window.
Wait for like 2-3 mins until you can see details in your room eg. the minute hand of your clock.

NOW, flash your self using built in timer, standing 3 meter away from the camera.

You know the answer. :D

KIDS: Do not try this at home.. Uncle got trained before. :p

binbeto said:
It will definately hurt or shock the animals.

Try this at night:

Close all the light in your room and close the window.
Wait for like 2-3 mins until you can see details in your room eg. the minute hand of your clock.

NOW, flash your self using built in timer, standing 3 meter away from the camera.

You know the answer. :D

KIDS: Do not try this at home.. Uncle got trained before. :p

Whahahahaha.. =x :bsmilie: :nono:

But really, Binbeto raised a very valid and true point.

The flash units that you couple to your SLRs/DSLRs, even the dinky little ones on your prosumer digicams or P&S are very powerful devices. Standing 10 metres away and you can get disoriented (going the way in Binbeto's post). That's why I emphasize beyond 5m. That's the average high-intensity night sight range from stray cats. Their effective range extend another 2-3 metres more. But anything within the 5m from their faces will be very startling and hurtful.

Since I'm the topic, I'll also remind CSers not to anyhow go around feeding "tidbits" and stuff to strays, just to get shots. You never know that the ones you feed may well be on a controlled diet. End up your good intentions may cause them more harm. (Check up previous posts in Kopitiam and elsewhere for more info...)

Im not sure if it is true...
I thought about this afew days ago.

Will flash damage newborn animal like kittern and puppy whose eyes are not open yet?
Since their skin covering the eyes are still quite thin and eye very weak.

green_leaf said:
Im not sure if it is true...
I thought about this afew days ago.

Will flash damage newborn animal like kittern and puppy whose eyes are not open yet?
Since their skin covering the eyes are still quite thin and eye very weak.
I'd much rather not try.

Status
Not open for further replies.