Will decreasing resolution lead to better image quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karnage

Feb 26, 2005
Ang Mo Kio
This query is triggered by the constant issue of Panasonic FZ cameras always having the noise issue, but Panasonic refuses (or is unable) to resolve it, yet keeps pushing the megapixel count in a same-sized sensor.

Since increasing the magapixel count on a same-sized sensor will worsen the noise issue, would setting the pixel count on an 8MP camera with major noise issues to say, 5MP, reduce the noise problems significantly? Would the whole sensor surface be used as a 5MP sensor or would only a 5MP part of the 8MP sensor be used?

Am I making sense here? Hahaha!

8 mega pixel on a 1/1.8" Type CCD, mean the number of pixel count and pitch on the CCD are fixed, reducing the mega pixel from 8-5 on-camera would not make a different. High ISO on pro-sumer point & shoot digital cameras are all for 'show'. Only usable ISO would be no more than 200.

Hope this helps, my 2 cents worth...;)

Ya ya, I don't think there's a difference too if I reduce the resolution on-camera.

So what I mean is, how does the camera utilize the sensor when you reduce the pixel count? Does it use a fraction of the total pixels or do they use all the pixels on the sensor to create a lower resolution image?

Hi,

I'm no expert but it should be the using the same 8MP but downsized to 5MP using software interpolation.

This sounds the most logical explanation.
Cos if only a fraction of the 8MP are used to capture, in effect, you get a crop factor like a dslr or pseudo- zoom.
i.e. u lose out on wide end but gain in the telephoto end and I don't think is the case. (35-105mm equiv. range on the PnS is maintained regardless of selected resolution ya?)

yes, you get less noise but also less details as some of the finer details are lost during the resize.

It should be a software reduction. The image is captured by the entire CCD and it is then put through a soffware solution built in the camea to scale it down. They can make the camera use just 5mp of your 8mp sensor to capture the image as you put it but then that would effect the focal length of lens. That is what's happening with the general DSLR market concern the 1.5 crop factor versus full frame all these years.

It is a safer bet a picture is capture with the entire 8mp and then the caemera's builtin scale-down functions just reduces the image down to 5mp. You can reduce just abit of the noise but alike someone else here has brought up..you will lose details too as the image is now cramped into a smaller space area. Something have to "give" when that happens.

Then again...this is subjective where "noise" is concern. How mild or bad it is? I usually use Noise Ninja on my mild noise shot (those shot in the ISO 400 - 600) Very rare that I would use (if the camera does come with it) a camera's built-in noise reduction function as it can take a really long time for it to process it before allowing you to take the next shot.

Haha! Ya, now that u guys mention the crop factor thing, it makes sense that it's more likely to be a software downsize in-camera.

Yay! Query answered!

Besides, I always use ISO80 on my FZ20 for everything anyways... so no problem there. Just a bugger in my mind. Haha!

Cheers mates! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.