Will Cold temperature Damage the Camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc

May 16, 2008
Singapore
Was wonder will the DSLR be damage if i put it in a air-con room for around 4 hrs+?
The Camera will be kept in a small shoulder bag fill with some silica gel.

Was wonder will the DSLR be damage if i put it in a air-con room for around 4 hrs+?

See your camera manual, chapter "Environmental Conditions". If aircon would be dangerous then Singapore would be a damn dangerous place for DSLRs ;)

all camera manufacturer must have made tonnes of $$$ every spring. ;p

Singapore: the Air-Conditioned Nation :bsmilie:

don't worry, most DSLRs can still operate well even at 0 degrees celcius. But just check yr camera manual to play safe :)

P.S- its not advisable to put a DSLR in a air-tight box filled with silica gel, possibility of damaging the rubber grip permanently :think:

i heard tt under extreme cold temp., the batt. life will be more or less affected. so i'd suggest to reserve an instant warm pack for ur camera or to keep the camera close to ur body by using ur own body warmth.

Aircon............:bsmilie:

What the hell! This guy is crap!
Asking stupid question

blizzards maybe, but air con? hahaha, cameras are not made just to shoot under the african sun dude!
air con places are fine, for both the camera and urself... singapore is just so stinking hooot.

Last edited:
ok..this might sound stupid too...

but I'm bringing my S5 to Hokkaido for end of year trip...but temperature might be below zero C there..so will it get spoilt easily ?

but I'm bringing my S5 to Hokkaido for end of year trip...but temperature might be below zero C there..so will it get spoilt easily ?

You haven't read this thread, have you? Try again ...

just one point to note for those bringing camera to sub zero places:

Your lens confirm will fog up (from the outer elements to the mirror) upon entering heated in door and takes a really long time to defog. So if you need to enter between indoor and outdoor to cover shots, place your indoor use lens in a bag indoor (in coin operated locker if available or get someone to jagar for you) so you can let your body warm up first then attach the lens.

my d100 survived snow city after an hour it's good to go again...

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I wanted to find out what happens if I bring my camera really close to the sun? Will the heat damage my camera? Or is my camera immune to 6000 degrees Celsius heat?

Please, I'm more concerned about my camera's well being than taking good pictures with my camera.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I wanted to find out what happens if I bring my camera really close to the sun? Will the heat damage my camera? Or is my camera immune to 6000 degrees Celsius heat?

Please, I'm more concerned about my camera's well being than taking good pictures with my camera.

LOL nice way to put it, if a little... incisive.

to those who keep asking if this is ok or that is ok (not you entropy_h, i know what you're saying), YOUR CAMERA IS NOT MADE OF ICE/WAX. its made to be USED, not kept in a climate controlled dry cabinet all its life. how do you think photographers get pictures of the north/south pole or the sahara? they don't take pictures with their eyes and stick a usb cable in their ear to upload to pictures after that right?

how extreme can the conditions you go to get? as long as you don't leave it in those conditions for days on end, your camera will be fine. But the cold DOES have some effect on your battery life and the rubber grip.

p.s. if air con is bad for cameras, then NSC/CSC and all the camera shops in singapore should close their shops and set up roadside stalls. lai lelong lelong! D3 one dollar one dollar! ah lai lai!

p.p.s. silica gel in a camera bag has VERY little effect on anything. cause your camera bag isn't airtight.

Last edited:
Walah..walah..walah...
My Air con room can be very cool also as lowest as -6 deg C???
I think I will be "frosen" and get "brain damage"
Cialat :sticktong (just kidding).

I shot outdoor during winter when I was in Chicago.
(no body used Air con hor.. but used heater instead).
As you know this city named as "win city" so I believe chill wind can bring down below zero deg C.
It was quite rainy and snowy day.

Cool weather will drain your batt faster so you need to bring more extra batts.

Last edited:

I tried the same combo too:)..just need to make sure you got spare batteries with you. Batteries life is shorter.(can feel the difference, quite observable, I dun keep track of how much lesser though) Also partly because, you tend to shoot more when you are holidaying;p and ....the worst thing is, if you go to slightly ulu places, you may not find batteries , just like you can't find a taxi:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.