will camera work in cold weather or get frozen?

Henryks

Jun 27, 2013
Singapore
I have a OMD EM5, with the kit lens and a 25mm f1.4.

And I am planning to bring it to Harbin, China in Dec and I heard that the temperature may go as low as -25 degrees...
Will there be any problem with my camera? Will it still work? Will it get frozen?

Is it that if it is snowing it is better to use my kit lens which is weather sealed? If not snowing then I can use my non weather sealed 25mm f1.4?

And I am planning to bring it to Harbin, China in Dec and I heard that the temperature may go as low as -25 degrees...
Will there be any problem with my camera? Will it still work? Will it get frozen?

Is it that if it is snowing it is better to use my kit lens which is weather sealed? If not snowing then I can use my non weather sealed 25mm f1.4?

No. There will not be problem. But battery life will be pretty short, so be prepared to bring more batteries.

Hi Henry,

There have been many general discussion threads regarding cold weather operation. From what I can tell, the OMD EM-5's operational temperature is rated at 0-40 deg C. Don't know if it will survive prolonged -25 deg exposure. Remember that weather sealed cameras and lenses can still suffer from condensation damage.

I have used a non-weathersealed D90 with a non-weathersealed Tokina 11-16 in -25 deg C weather before. No problem.
I brought 4 batteries, but ended up using one one battery. No problem.

Just make sure when you move from a cold environment into a warm one, put your camera into a plastic or ziploc bag. After entering, let the camera sit in the bag for around 5 mins to let the temperature equalize. Even if you forgot, and the lens fog up, just leave it with the power off and wait for the fog to dry up.

Hi Henry,

There have been many general discussion threads regarding cold weather operation. From what I can tell, the OMD EM-5's operational temperature is rated at 0-40 deg C. Don't know if it will survive prolonged -25 deg exposure. Remember that weather sealed cameras and lenses can still suffer from condensation damage.

It will survive. If not, many camera users in countries with winter season will be complaining.

If you are scared, then don't bring it lor.

There will always be some risk involved. No one here can guarantee that your Olympus will work or that they will be right beside you to replace your Olympus with countless, identical setups.

What the forum can tell you is there are gutsy photographers who have brought their valiant cameras to such a audacious quests and survived. It does not mean your Olympus will definitely survive.

I know I brought my old D70 to negative 10 degrees and it survived, no sweat. I haven't been to negative 25 degrees, but if I am going there, I would:

- bring the Olympus and if gets damaged, then so be it. Some cash written off, but hey, I know my risks.

- bring the best weather sealed equipment out there if it is a do-or-die mission.

I doubt your case is the latter, so I really don't see the problem.

Hi Henry,

No problem. Battery will drain faster as compared to when shooting in optimal temperature.

People had tried it before,

http://www.flickr.com/groups/olympus-omd-em5/discuss/72157632580371601/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/norsman1968/sets/72157616700928859/with/8474018631/ (shots taken at night up north. Can be damn cold if you know what i mean).

I shoot with nikon d3100 in -20 to- 30 degrees before for 4 days. It survived but u need to try to keep it warm whenever possible if not the battery just die in mins. I put a socks ard the grip when shooting outside for more than an hour, put it in my jack or my bag whenever possible. My phone die in seconds out in the cold.

295279_10151158535591167_980607180_n.jpg

If you want to see how a camera looks like after being outside at -30deg for 3.5hrs. Water vapour doesn't just condense on it, it freezes on contact. Fully functional in this state though, but had to wait a few hours for the lens to clear up.

I brought my camera equipments to a place close to -20degree celsius (in fact, i was shooting in the middle of a snowstorm) & the camera equipment (and me) survived.

Can't help it, but i feel i must share this photo of me playing in the snow storm.
IMG_5421.jpg

Just make sure u bring extra batteries, big ziploc bags (put all equipment in ziploc bags before u store in ur bag), and lastly bring sufficient warm clothings to help urself survive first... The number 1 thing to fall in cold weather is humans, not camera equipments.

Last edited:
The greater danger is that the Camera gets stolen or robbed off. That's a bigger risk than being frozen.

If you've these concerns, don't bring. Same goes with your notebook.................

Hmm will the cold air condense inside the lens after being transferred to a warmer location and form water/moisture inside?

Hmm will the cold air condense inside the lens after being transferred to a warmer location and form water/moisture inside?

Thats why ziploc bags (or plastic bags if die die dont have ziploc) is a necessity. Everytime after u shoot outside in freezing conditions, pack ur camera into the ziploc bags BEFORE stepping into any warm places. If u ignore this number one advice, the ice snow on ur equipment will melt within 1 second the moment u step into the warm place, and good luck to ur equipments.

And 1 second is not an exaggerated timing, its a fact..

Thats why ziploc bags (or plastic bags if die die dont have ziploc) is a necessity. Everytime after u shoot outside in freezing conditions, pack ur camera into the ziploc bags BEFORE stepping into any warm places. If u ignore this number one advice, the ice snow on ur equipment will melt within 1 second the moment u step into the warm place, and good luck to ur equipments. And 1 second is not an exaggerated timing, its a fact..

Ohhhhh ok thanks! But how does ziploc bags help?

Ohhhhh ok thanks! But how does ziploc bags help?

By putting the equipments in the ziploc bags, the eqpt wont be immediately exposed to the warm environment. (The air inside the ziploc acts as a "barrier of air" between the cold eqpt & the warm environment.)

In this way, the eqpt will not immediately condense & thus the eqpt will not turn wet.

Instead it will slowly warm up to the room temperature. After abt 30mins or so, u are fine to open the ziploc and store in ur bag..

By putting the equipments in the ziploc bags, the eqpt wont be immediately exposed to the warm environment. (The air inside the ziploc acts as a "barrier of air" between the cold eqpt & the warm environment.)

In this way, the eqpt will not immediately condense & thus the eqpt will not turn wet.

Instead it will slowly warm up to the room temperature. After abt 30mins or so, u are fine to open the ziploc and store in ur bag..

Actually, your explanation is incorrect. That is not the reason why the ziploc bags are useful.

Very cold air is always dry, because cold air cannot hold much water vapor. So by putting the camera in the bag while still outside, the air trapped inside the bag with the camera is still dry.

When a cold surface comes in contact with warmer air with higher humidity, the cold surface will cause the warm air to release the humidity, which causes the condensation. So the surface that touches the warm humid air indoors is the surface of the ziploc bag. So the condensation will form on the outside of the ziploc bag. Even when the air in the bag becomes warm and comes into contact with the camera, the air is still dry air since it is trapped outside when it was cold and dry.

And there is no need to wait 30mins. around 5-10 mins will be sufficient.

Last edited:
Ohhh I see. Either way it's better to use a ziploc bag :)
Thanks Devilry and Daredevil123 for the explanation! Will take note of this when I travel to cold countries in the future.

Actually, your explanation is incorrect. That is not the reason why the ziploc bags are useful. Very cold air is always dry, because cold air cannot hold much water vapor. So by putting the camera in the bag while still outside, the air trapped inside the bag with the camera is still dry. When a cold surface comes in contact with warmer air with higher humidity, the cold surface will cause the warm air to release the humidity, which causes the condensation. So the surface that touches the warm humid air indoors is the surface of the ziploc bag. So the condensation will form on the outside of the ziploc bag. Even when the air in the bag becomes warm and comes into contact with the camera, the air is still dry air since it is trapped outside when it was cold and dry. And there is no need to wait 30mins. around 5-10 mins will be sufficient.

Learnt something new today re the Ziplock and the why. Thanks