will camera prices drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey Knight

Jul 21, 2008
Singapore
with the current situation , will the prices of cameras and lenses drop?
asking 'cos I was intending to get a cam soon but my parents told me not to ; economy bad , prices will drop being their reasoning.

so, will the situation affect the prices?:dunno:

I do not think the camera retail prices will drop significantly as a result of the economy. But u may be able to buy more second hand stuff at better prices??

i think the prices of cameras will drop like any other digital products - maybe more drastic drop as people buy less.

u may say that, with less purchases, the economy of scale is no longer there and the resultant production cost will be higher. but then again, the street price is not based solely on production cost, it is also based on how much the market is willing to pay for it. therefore, with less people buying, the sellers will lower the prices to attract buyers. it is always the case of who blink first.

depends on demand. if every new gadget got pre-order, den prices will remain on the high side.

It depends on how long we stay in this situation. If we recover quickly, say in 1 or 2 months time, most probably no problem, as the manufactures will not be affected that much. However, if we stay like this for 1 year, the manufacturers will have to tone down production, otherwise they have a big surplus.. And like Quest says.. EOS no more, Suppliers less willing to supply, and market equilibrium shifts...

US$ going up and up.. good excuse for them not to drop the price.

with the current situation , will the prices of cameras and lenses drop?
asking 'cos I was intending to get a cam soon but my parents told me not to ; economy bad , prices will drop being their reasoning.

so, will the situation affect the prices?:dunno:

yes. the bigger the recession, the bigger the price drop.

Short term might not have an impact on price. The manufacturers will probably adjust their production as well. But I would not bang much hopes on a great deal ( But hey will be game to look out for one too ) . The previous Asian econo crisis was there much of a rebate for cameras / lenses ?

But you might get more people selling their stuffs though.

Ryan

definitely, recession or not, technological products are always depreciating over the time, just the matter of time and by how much % of loss.

if you can afford to wait, you will get a cheaper deal, but of cos the newer product will be out soon by that time.

With the Photokina 2008 just over, and new model rolling out... the older models would definitely drop in price.... it is how much would it drop until they are phase out.... :bsmilie:

definitely, recession or not, technological products are always depreciating over the time, just the matter of time and by how much % of loss.

if you can afford to wait, you will get a cheaper deal, but of cos the newer product will be out soon by that time.

I think Benosaurus sums up the most logical response. Depreciation is inevitable and almost no product can run away from. Plus there are so many economic and financial factors that affect prices of any product. Oil, Gold, Foreign Exchange, Steel, etc.

Maybe you need to ponder over how much the camera is really worth to you and not wait for prices to drop. If you value the use of the camera at 1.5K it doesn't really matter if you could get it for $50 less. The longer you wait, the closer to the next new model launch, so your "new" camera might also have a "short life" and sometimes you might feel damn 'sian' after buying then 3 months later a new model from the same line rolls out of the factory.

Just for your info, if you were to wait for the recession to improve, you might have to wait for quite some time...depends on financial policies and other factors which neither You nor I or anyone here would know about.

Last edited:
It goes with time. Old model will be cheaper. More advance production poccess will cut down cost.

So camera should get cheaper and cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.