Will Apple enter camera market?

please no.

i don't need to see random people from apple's team waving around a white camera and telling us earnestly a whole load of stuff that sounds like the camera is the solution to hunger in africa. all that while making wild gestures in the air. :bsmilie:

iAgree

Hmm...if they do, they'll probably end up changing the camera market (of course they'll grab a big share along the way too).

They brought us 'personal computing' way back in the 1980s.
They changed our expectations from personal music players with the very 1st ipod.
They made iphone. Suddenly, all other smartphones/ palmtops/ pocketPCs looked like expensive paperweights.
They even changed the portable gaming market. Sightings of aunties and uncles (unlikely portable gamers) playing games on their iphones on the MRT/ bus are now commonplace.
They probably will change the handheld computing market with the ipad.

So, if they do enter the camera market, they'll change the way consumers perceive cameras, photography, sharing the media, how it'll impact other areas of the consumers' lifestyle. Heck, we already see a lot of iphone photographers online now.

So, considering their strength in swaying markets, I hope they don't enter the camera market. Really. I like my rangefinders, slrs, etc. I like understanding how pieces of glass change light paths, how aperture shapes/ sizes affect pictures, how light sources must be treated with utmost respect, how marvellously engineered is a 1/8000s shutter....

Not that the camera market isn't currently already targetting the 'entry level'/ 'novice' users. PnS, mirrorless, dslrs all come with mind-numbingly easy-to-use Auto modes. (why doesn't the NEX5 have buttons? so you don't get itchy fingers and press them). But if Apple comes into the picture (pun intended), white may become the next 'Vivid'.

I agreed totally on this. People nowadays go for looks and trendy products that last them maybe less than 1 year before a replacement comes out.

That's the purpose of a good company isn't it? Come out with nice looking products at low cost and keep replacing them so as to generate revenue for the company at regular intervals, while at same time kills off all competitors.

I used to be a die-hard Nokia user....now also using iphone....
:sweat:

I used to be a "nonkia"(means kid in hokkien) fan, until i tried motorola which has solid build quality. and talk for 2 hours non stop (not hot at all) i've tried nonkia, <30mins, u can feel the heat liao.

For now some parts in me is willing to support motorola, even though i would like to try SE and HTC. (but i won't give iphone a chance, unless and until they make iphone mini which has the dimension similar to htc smart/wildfire or SE's Zylo.)

DSLR maybe not yet.. maybe P&S ones first.. their classic white gloss..

DSLR maybe not yet.. maybe P&S ones first.. their classic white gloss..

P&S with Black and white selection...

creativity Scene mode purchase and download from App store?

Built in GPS with Maps and geo tag. Best if it is 3G version. can surf net.

Oh yes, good batt life span...

showphoto.php

Like this...iDSLR

Last edited:

Hmm...if they do, they'll probably end up changing the camera market (of course they'll grab a big share along the way too).

They brought us 'personal computing' way back in the 1980s.
They changed our expectations from personal music players with the very 1st ipod.
They made iphone. Suddenly, all other smartphones/ palmtops/ pocketPCs looked like expensive paperweights.
They even changed the portable gaming market. Sightings of aunties and uncles (unlikely portable gamers) playing games on their iphones on the MRT/ bus are now commonplace.
They probably will change the handheld computing market with the ipad.

So, if they do enter the camera market, they'll change the way consumers perceive cameras, photography, sharing the media, how it'll impact other areas of the consumers' lifestyle. Heck, we already see a lot of iphone photographers online now.

So, considering their strength in swaying markets, I hope they don't enter the camera market. Really. I like my rangefinders, slrs, etc. I like understanding how pieces of glass change light paths, how aperture shapes/ sizes affect pictures, how light sources must be treated with utmost respect, how marvellously engineered is a 1/8000s shutter....

Not that the camera market isn't currently already targetting the 'entry level'/ 'novice' users. PnS, mirrorless, dslrs all come with mind-numbingly easy-to-use Auto modes. (why doesn't the NEX5 have buttons? so you don't get itchy fingers and press them). But if Apple comes into the picture (pun intended), white may become the next 'Vivid'.

The merits of Apple definitely redefined many things in our present time. bcuz of their "Think Different" they revolutionised many things like u mentioned.(thanks)
I think if they enter the camera market, they will make "wonder PnS"?

One reason why they can revolutionised iphone is because they sell the exclusive license to Telco which cost Millions!!! and get them to sell at affordable price for more subscribers [And of course apple does a lot of publicity, and Steve Jobs hosted a lot of product previews unlike Mr Sim]. If they make DSLRs they won't revolutionised that easily bcuz dslr itself is expensive. PnS also a bit difficult because Samsung came up with cheap and good ones... and if they want to go economical, might as well improve the camera on iphones instead.

No doubt that Apple is known as a Premium, but to revolutionise involves a lot of price strategy. Unless they tap on an strategy called behaviour something.

Last edited:
Its more likely camera companies will likely incorporate a phone into a camera in future ....... technology transfer is easier this direction than a phone company branching into cameras

The chances of Apple going into camera is very very slim. Steven Job did mentioned earlier that software content is the way into the future. That is where the company is heading with iphone and ipad. They have bought a few content company like the recent Poly9 which is doing things like google earth.

with reception issue, and the screen got some tint if u shoot a black/white paper and preview. imagine a dslr that can be used to call? or at least come with bluetooth "loud spkr + mic" for hp so that those photographers can keep on shooting w/o holding their hp :)

Its more likely camera companies will likely incorporate a phone into a camera in future ....... technology transfer is easier this direction than a phone company branching into cameras

We will start to see photographer 'talking' to their camera

Remember to switch to airplane mode during event shoot.

Photo shoot will have sign: 'Pls Switch Camera to slient mode or airplane mode'

The chances of Apple going into camera is very very slim. Steven Job did mentioned earlier that software content is the way into the future. That is where the company is heading with iphone and ipad. They have bought a few content company like the recent Poly9 which is doing things like google earth.

actually, while Steve Jobs may have mentioned about software content, but content itself isn't what makes money. It's how the content is sold. I think the 'secret agenda' to the way into the future is actually their online stores - music, vids, apps and now books. Making the content easily accessible (read: easily bought) through these gadgets they introduce - and making sure only their gadgets can play them - that's how they will dominate.

I can see Apple entering the market, but not the high-end performance DSLR sector :). They'll probably come up with a PnS with really cool functions and before you know it, every other kid who used to want to buy a dslr just to look cool will bring an iCam around xD

P&S with Black and white selection...

creativity Scene mode purchase and download from App store?

Built in GPS with Maps and geo tag. Best if it is 3G version. can surf net.

Oh yes, good batt life span...

maybe they'll start with iShoot 8mp... 3 months later iShoot2 10mp, another 3 months iShoot2S 12mp

maybe they'll start with iShoot 8mp... 3 months later iShoot2 10mp, another 3 months iShoot2S 12mp

yes maybe and iShoot2 shd be slimmer...

iShoot may also have iPhoto in it, + upload photo to facebook instantly.

The trick is to convince consumers to pay for the upgrade each time.

yes, i think there will be an iSnap!

Gen1: iSnap 8mp, no optical zoom, no touch screen lcd (white/black) (4gb internal memory) (Built-in battery)
Gen2: iSnap 8mp, optical zoom, no touch screen (white/black) (4gb internal memory) (Built-in battery)
Gen2s: iSnap 12mp, optical zoom, no touch screen (white/black) (4gb/8gb internal memory) (Built-in battery)
Gen3: iSnap 15mp, optical zoom, touch screen (white/black) (4gb/8gb/16gb internal memory) (Built-in battery)
Gen3s: iSnap 15mp, optical zoom, touch screen (white/black) (4gb/8gb/16gb internal memory) (Built-in battery) (improved ISO performance)
Gen4: iSnap 18mp, optical zoom, touch screen (white/black) (8gb/16gb/32gb internal memory) (Built-in battery)
Gen4s: iSnap 18mp, optical zoom, touch screen (white/black) (8gb/16gb/32gb internal memory) (Built-in battery) (VGA Recording capabilities)
Gen5: iSnap 18mp, optical zoom, touch screen (white/black) (16gb/32gb internal memory) (Built-in battery) (720p recording capabilites)
Gen5s: iSnap 18mp, optical zoom, touch screen (white/black) (16gb/32gb internal memory)
(Improved manual video control)
Gen6: iSnap 18mp, inter-changable lens, touch screen (white/black) (16gb/32gb internal memory) (1080p recording capabilities)

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Ha, poor osim lack of creativity. SHE's poses for ikimono banner/stands = poorly lacking dynamism(energy) too stiff.. and not stretched... the kongfu poses not scary at all.

anyway creative seems to be dying. they only have MP3 players(which HANDPHONE makers incorporate), sound cards(which most users don't need due to integrated sound card offered by their motherboards), headphones/speakers(build quality not impressive, buttons/scrolls a bit fragile). Since they are so into sound, maybe they can come up with good MP3 recordings like what BLUE is doing with their snowball(usb mic) or mikie for ipods-iphones.

Have you even seen the "Umama"?

Kind of make me think of the stand up comedies I watched... "Yo ma ma so fat...." :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Hats off to the product managers in OSIM. Well done!