Will Apple enter camera market?

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
When Apple entered the phone market, everyone shouted "MAD! SUICIDE!" - and look where they are now.

So will they enter the camera market also and bring some jolt to the scene? Here's some possibilities:

http://cow.mooh.org/2009/12/phone-o-scope-attaching-slr-lenses-to.html

What if instead of EVIL, you can attached pro lens to a phone?

No. You will never see an iCam :bsmilie:

"IF" ... I mean "If" they enter this market, hope they really come up with something as great as Iphone. Understand what the ppl want and deliver it. But they better not come up with stupid design .. eg: Apple shape or etc ... wait the whole cult gang buy and end up the world is full of FRUITs ....

Good idea. No AF though :bsmilie:

If Apple enters the camera market, for whatever reasons, I would expect them to come up with a chic lifestyle device. By lifestyle, I mean something that is small and compact, but does lots of other things than just taking photos.

please no.

i don't need to see random people from apple's team waving around a white camera and telling us earnestly a whole load of stuff that sounds like the camera is the solution to hunger in africa. all that while making wild gestures in the air. :bsmilie:

I always see Apple as a bespoke technology maker so I am really curious and looking forward to such innovation by Apple.

But if they are going into the saturated market of photography, I am wondering who will they pair up to get their optics. Apple is rather anti-social with brands when comes to R&D....they only believe in themselves but eventually allows other brands to befriend with them after each product launch.

if apple came up with a camera it'd be too restrictive. steve jobs would probably limit features like auto focus until someone comes along to jailbreak. would probably ban raw format and come up with raw-apple format =p

Provided people mindset can accept a white and made in china camera/dslr from apple that has non-removable battery and needs proprietary cable for charging and transfering files.

And also, the camera will be totally touchscreen, including the shutter release button....

Hmm..seems like i am talking about iphone isn't it???

Last edited:
Get intel to make the "engine" get "Ati" to make "foveon". They use their macbook pro steel to make the dslr body. for lens wise. they propose to sigma to make an "iMount" The camera will then be called "MacCam Pro" lol kinda cheesy...

Some time ago I attend a talk by Sim Wong Hoo who blasted the iPod for its bugs and lack of features etc. while showing off how many features his Zen had. Look where he is now.

Apple has shown that coolness triumphs all else. Take mediocre hardware, package it with super sleek design, slap on a cool software and hype it up with a hip marketing campaign. All this worry about image quality, composition, artistic feel etc. may well go out the window.

Apple is looking more and more a consumer electronics company. So I would not be surprise if they apply this same winning formula to photography and dominate the market. "Saturated" was never an issue for Apple - just look at what it did to Nokia and Motorola.

Get intel to make the "engine" get "Ati" to make "foveon". They use their macbook pro steel to make the dslr body. for lens wise. they propose to sigma to make an "iMount" The camera will then be called "MacCam Pro" lol kinda cheesy...

i think the real cheesy ones are the other vendors who forcibly add the 'i-' prefix to their products.

i-gallop. i-kimono.

i-kimono?!?!?!?!?

Some time ago I attend a talk by Sim Wong Hoo who blasted the iPod for its bugs and lack of features etc. while showing off how many features his Zen had. Look where he is now.

Apple has shown that coolness triumphs all else. Take mediocre hardware, package it with super sleek design, slap on a cool software and hype it up with a hip marketing campaign. All this worry about image quality, composition, artistic feel etc. may well go out the window.

Apple is looking more and more a consumer electronics company. So I would not be surprise if they apply this same winning formula to photography and dominate the market. "Saturated" was never an issue for Apple - just look at what it did to Nokia and Motorola.

I agreed totally on this. People nowadays go for looks and trendy products that last them maybe less than 1 year before a replacement comes out.

That's the purpose of a good company isn't it? Come out with nice looking products at low cost and keep replacing them so as to generate revenue for the company at regular intervals, while at same time kills off all competitors.

I used to be a die-hard Nokia user....now also using iphone....
:sweat:

Apple can't even splash cash from its war chest to buyout Adobe to expend its business. Don't think they will venture into camera market. Its new iPhone4 and OS4.0 are very disappointing though. :nono:

Apple can't even splash cash from its war chest to buyout Adobe to expend its business. Don't think they will venture into camera market. Its new iPhone4 and OS4.0 are very disappointing though. :nono:

Well, in this modern world, never say never.

When apple was having it's first generation ipod, i told many of my friends that someday apple might use that design and come out with a phone call "iphone"...i was bashed seriously that I was silly in that thinking.

Fast forward to this recent time, see how well apple is doing in phone market now that most phone and MP3 player competition has died off.

i think the real cheesy ones are the other vendors who forcibly add the 'i-' prefix to their products.

i-gallop. i-kimono.

i-kimono?!?!?!?!?

Ha, poor osim lack of creativity. SHE's poses for ikimono banner/stands = poorly lacking dynamism(energy) too stiff.. and not stretched... the kongfu poses not scary at all.

anyway creative seems to be dying. they only have MP3 players(which HANDPHONE makers incorporate), sound cards(which most users don't need due to integrated sound card offered by their motherboards), headphones/speakers(build quality not impressive, buttons/scrolls a bit fragile). Since they are so into sound, maybe they can come up with good MP3 recordings like what BLUE is doing with their snowball(usb mic) or mikie for ipods-iphones.

Last edited:
imagine Apple really design a DSLR with Black and white selection.

Full touchscreen with iphone apps