Will adding more ram significantly increase speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahsosl1e8

Sep 18, 2005
Is RAM the bottleneck in running lightroom?

I'm running on a centrino 1.5ghz laptop with 512mb of ram. I've impressed by adobe lightroom's functionality and ease of use. However, speed is rather sluggish. I see alot of rendering during thumbnail browsing as well as editing. It seems like lightroom likes to create and re-create thumbnail previews as i scroll around. Editing photos (like doing curves) also result in the photo refreshing back and forth between low and high res versions. This is really annoying.

I wonder what might be the bottleneck, and checked my ram availability as lightroom is running. While i still have 100~300mb of physical ram available, page file tends to run high at 600+mb.

My photos come from a 6mpx d70, 40% are RAWs.

I have no intention of buying a new system at the moment. If there's nothing else i can do i'd rather stick with picasa...

Advices?

Definitely will help, but after that the bottleneck might be the processor. :sweat:

Is RAM the bottleneck in running lightroom?

I'm running on a centrino 1.5ghz laptop with 512mb of ram. I've impressed by adobe lightroom's functionality and ease of use. However, speed is rather sluggish. I see alot of rendering during thumbnail browsing as well as editing. It seems like lightroom likes to create and re-create thumbnail previews as i scroll around. Editing photos (like doing curves) also result in the photo refreshing back and forth between low and high res versions. This is really annoying.

I wonder what might be the bottleneck, and checked my ram availability as lightroom is running. While i still have 100~300mb of physical ram available, page file tends to run high at 600+mb.

My photos come from a 6mpx d70, 40% are RAWs.

I have no intention of buying a new system at the moment. If there's nothing else i can do i'd rather stick with picasa...

Advices?

2gb if possible. I upgraded mine from 1gb to 2gb recently and I am very happy. upgrade your laptops memory while it's still cheap for your model.

64 SGD for DDr2 1gb - very cheap :D - bought my mem at Best Bargain at Sim Lim.

for my old laptop, I just upgraded by 512mb and cost me 138 SGD IIRC. :cry:

Tt's the prob... i'm using ddr333, which is OLD. 145 bucks per stick of 1gb dunno worth or not, given the lens, accessories i'm saving for.

Tt's the prob... i'm using ddr333, which is OLD. 145 bucks per stick of 1gb dunno worth or not, given the lens, accessories i'm saving for.

2x145 = 290 is not cheap.

then you decide, buy a new one (system). but I tell you it's (RAM) not gonna get any cheaper. It's near extinction already.

The reason why I bought the VERY expensive 512mb bcoz the laptop is very special to me.

Buy now b4 GST increase. time is ticking :sweat:

If you see that the slowdown is because your HDD is reading like crazy during those slowdowns, then yes, RAM will help - slowdowns caused by HDD reading is a sign that the pagefile is being used like crazy.

512mb is too slow..try upgrade to 2 GB.You will feel a lot of difference. At least 100% faster.:thumbsup:

haiz... $$$ again. Are there any photo management software that are quite as powerful as lightroom yet is less demanding? (got a feeling i'm asking for the moon)

haiz... $$$ again. Are there any photo management software that are quite as powerful as lightroom yet is less demanding? (got a feeling i'm asking for the moon)
maybe its sign to get a desktop? :bsmilie: or a newer laptop

maybe its sign to get a desktop? or a newer laptop

:bsmilie: I'll do just that... provided i earn money for my photos. A hobby just can't justify such huge expenses.

:bsmilie: I'll do just that... provided i earn money for my photos. A hobby just can't justify such huge expenses.

you can use your laptop for other purposes like, chatting, online game. So, considering, it's not 100% cost for photography only... btw, there are 12 months, 0% interest offered by CC. Make sure you leave your credit card at home after the purchase.. hehehe....

If you are using notebook, nothing you can really help except upgrading your RAM OR changing a faster HDD.

For Desktop, upgrade RAM and at the same time, run your PC at RAID 0 (at least 2 harddisks) OR 5 (at least 3 harddisks) configuration will help on harddisk performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.