Will a flashlight damage camera circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LENS

Apr 8, 2005
Hi all, i just fixed one of my Suntax 938AFN flash light, due to the battery leakage, the contacts were contaminated and broken. I tried to replaced and solder with new contacts i got from a cheap radio.

Anyway, when everything is done, i press that 'ON' button, no light.. there are two lights, one is 'ready', that i think will on when the flash recharge and ready for another flash.. and the other is 'auto check', it supposes to be a battery check?

Or is this flash needs to be put on camera to check? I heard that a spoilt flash can short circuit the camera? is it true?

I am using a FM2, that's a cheap flash, but i tried to fix it because it looks like fixable..haa.
Anyone got any idea? or you got a similar model, the light should be on when the battery is loaded?

Thank you.

not too helpful:nono:
I picked up soldering while I was in sec sch and knew nuts about electronics.

I only know if wire drop out, solder back. Fixes a lot of problem for most of the time.

If the "ON" button has no light, then most likely the soldering job is not done properly, or the battery leakage liquid went inside the circuit board behind the contact and short-circuit the whole flash circuit already.
A short-circuited flash will not be recharged and so very unlikely it will damage your camera circuit.

Hi all, thank for your reply. actually i have solder back with contacts i removed from a cheap radio, i checked by using meter and the contacts to wire seem good. Anyway, when i put in the battery and it still doesn't seem work. I stop at that point, since i don't know what to do next.

I think i heard something like a flash which is not functional well will damage a camera circuit, is there a possibility?

I am thinking if this is possible, maybe i shouldnt take the risk to use a flash.

Does those camera workshop repair it? i may just check it and see what they can help.

LENS said:
Hi all, thank for your reply. actually i have solder back with contacts i removed from a cheap radio, i checked by using meter and the contacts to wire seem good. Anyway, when i put in the battery and it still doesn't seem work. I stop at that point, since i don't know what to do next.

I think i heard something like a flash which is not functional well will damage a camera circuit, is there a possibility?

I am thinking if this is possible, maybe i shouldnt take the risk to use a flash.

Does those camera workshop repair it? i may just check it and see what they can help.

I'm not really sure but if I'm you, I would thread on the safer side. Flash is a burst of light using capacitors which charge until a certain level and then discharge this high-voltage powerpuff into your bulb.

So if you accidentally short the two legs, it might explode if its charged. Or if it exceeded the capacity (lower microfarads?), it might burst into flame or something. Not sure if the hotshoe connectors only transmit signal back to your camera but this conductors might send a high dose of voltage and in turn can damage your camera. I'm speaking on a layman point-of-view so you may want to verify with resident techies here. All I'm saying is to be careful. ;)

From what i read, it just might spoil the camera. But newer cameras comes with protection against such things.....

But to be safe, don't mess ard too much !

Status
Not open for further replies.