Wildlife photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

chjing

Sep 11, 2006
hi, does anyone has any suggestion on where to take photos of wildlife in Singapore?

hi, does anyone has any suggestion on where to take photos of wildlife in Singapore?

Depends on what you want to take....

the more the merrier

What do you have in mind? Wildlife as in lions and cheetahs? I'm afraid that can only be found in the zoo.;p

But, on the serious note, what is the wildlife that you have in your mind? We have some wetland reserves in Sungei Buloh where some folks do birding. You may capture some iguanas or crocs also.

BC

The nature trials do have wildlife if you know where to look out for.

the parks have lots of monkeys too.

i recommend the zoo. Sungei Buloh is wayyyy overrated.

Yeah right.... go hunt there then...

TS, you HAVE not told us what you want to take in the first place.

Care to explain what you mean by way overrated?

I heard from someone who went there and left cursing and swearing. He said can't see anything, nothing to shoot and etc.... :angry:

But I guess the problem is, no patience to watch, lousy and not sensitive at spotting wildlife, no proper techniques and worst of all thought of going there and expect everything to be in front of you like a zoo.

Tracking back on TS posting, I gather that he is more on Macros than animals.

For macros, insects, bugs etc, basically they are everywhere. Sometimes I just shoot around my block and I can get good subjects. SBG, MOG, and all the parks have subjects to shoot. Macros subjects are the easiest to find. To find them you need only to know their habitat. Most important is to know their food source.

Care to explain what you mean by way overrated?

I heard from someone who went there and left cursing and swearing. He said can't see anything, nothing to shoot and etc.... :angry:

But I guess the problem is, no patience to watch, lousy and not sensitive at spotting wildlife, no proper techniques and worst of all thought of going there and expect everything to be in front of you like a zoo.

lol:bsmilie:, ya i agree, u may also need to have additional information on the wildlife before u go to shoot them. such as the migration period of the birds.

There are a few levels of wildlife photo shooting:

Level 1 - Zoo where everything is there right in front of you and best is during the feeding times.

Level 2 - Jurong Bird Park where the birds are there, but you got to have longer lens and somewhat better techniques to handle longer lens.

Level 3 - Botanic Garden where you can find insects and birds or swans and ducks, etc.

Level 4 - Sungei Buroh, where you need much more effort to get there, and even greater effort to be able to get any decent pictures of birds. Chek Jawa at Pulau Ubin - I haven't been there yet, after they construct the board walk.

And there are others like AH butterfly park, a butterfly park at Sentosa, underwaterworld at Sentosa, MOG, etc.

BTW, anyone been to the Butterfly park at Sentosa? Expensive? Worth it?

TS, what wildlife are you talking about?

Tiger, Lion... dun ve...
Monkey alot in bukit timah hill...

if you re looking for insects etc... BT hill lor..but you gotta have paitence and an eye for small stuff...
Birds ..like what the others said above... you want easy one go jurong birdpark... hard one... sungei buloh...

there is one rubbish burial ground in an island somewhere south...heard there are mangrove there ...
shld ve some wildlife e.g birds, insect, marine animals...

there is one rubbish burial ground in an island somewhere south...heard there are mangrove there ...
shld ve some wildlife e.g birds, insect, marine animals...

I presume you're talking about Semakau Island..?

Access to the island is restricted..
However, Nature Society runs birding trips there every month or two.. Members only..
Next trip is scheduled for Oct'07, if I rem correctly..
Managed to shoot pics of several bird species when I went last yr..

Alternatively, you can try going P.Ubin for monitors, parrots, even hornbills..
Even along the trails on Sentosa, you can sight birdlife around.. Just keep eyes open..

:)

No need to go so far to find trails :bsmilie:

Lower pierce reservoir - SICC

Woodcutter's Trail (Upper Pierce)

If got no wildlife... sure to find some wild men (read: those in camouflage) to shoot :bsmilie:

But yeah jokes aside, those places are great. I wished I had a camera with me back when I still go out to the field frequently. But haha... not possible lah. Laden down with a huge alice pack and huffing it at the quickest possible pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.