Wilderness survival workshop - any recs?

Lys

Mar 25, 2006
Wondering if anyone can recommend a basic wilderness survival workshop. I'd like to pick up skills like navigation, building a shelter, etc. so I'm not completely useless if I get lost in a remote jungle. (Do guys learn these sorts of things in NS? I'm female, so I wouldn't know.) Unlikely that I'd ever need to use these skills, but my motto is "you never know".

Googling turned up this 1-day survival workshop on Pulau Ubin:

This Yahoo Answers thread suggests there's a lack of such courses in Singapore, at least as of 5 years ago.
[url=http://sg.a Wilderness survival and first aid training in singapore??[/url]

(mod: links removed ....no backdoor advertising thanks)

Last edited:
erm... Sign on in the army? :bsmilie:

anyways, only the Jungle Confidence Course is of any help for survival training.

guys learn nothing in NS except how to go to the medical center to get an MC :bsmilie:

i learned Survival skills while i was in the scouts back in school. NS training was nothing compared to that.

What unit were you in ?
Come see me, I will give you a good time in Guards. Plenty of survival training, and if you want to go to JTC, happy to call the CO and help you get a spot for your next reservist ICT..
I didn't take a single day of MC for all my reservist.
And I learned plenty in my unit.
erm... Sign on in the army? :bsmilie:

anyways, only the Jungle Confidence Course is of any help for survival training.

guys learn nothing in NS except how to go to the medical center to get an MC :bsmilie:

i learned Survival skills while i was in the scouts back in school. NS training was nothing compared to that.

During JCC, we heard that some of the regulars are actually trained by the Philippinos in advanced jungle warfare and actually participated in operations against extremist guerrillas.

Part of these operations involves actual "real world practical lessons" on capturing of high value guerrillas and interrogation using torture of any means necessary. Apparently these guerrillas are not accorded Prisoner of War (POW) protective status under the Geneva Conventions as they are unlawful combatants. :sweat:

Last edited:
During JCC, we heard that some of the regulars are actually trained by the Philippinos in advanced jungle warfare and actually participated in operations against extremist guerrillas.

Part of these operations involves actual "real world practical lessons" on capturing of high value guerrillas and interrogation using torture of any means necessary. :sweat:

agree with this...

IMHO, Brunei and the Jungle Course was one of the most siong things I have encountered... more than my expedition to Nepal...

Part of these operations involves actual "real world practical lessons" on capturing of high value guerrillas and interrogation using torture of any means necessary. Apparently these guerrillas are not accorded Prisoner of War (POW) protective status under the Geneva Conventions as they are unlawful combatants. :sweat:

I supposed some of these torture methods would be locked in a windowless room and subject to repeated hours of "China Wine". After 30mins their will is shattered and they will tell you everything.

well back to subject:
draw out a list of skills you think are essential (separately and apart from the brochures or iternary listed in the courses you have found) and see if they match the course-work. if you do have survival training at Ubin - let me know if wild boars taste as good as Asterix and Obelix claim them to be. ;)

> I'm female...

Strangely OBS does not offer such courses.
The XTrekkers course is very much just an intro, but for only $90/7hrs I guess theres limitations. Cannot expect too much especially when it does not even have some form of basic first-aid included.

I'll suggest you go library borrow this book "sas survival guide" for a browse through.
Should be a fun and easy read with illustrated guide.
Not sure if there're other courses available though, I guess no demand..

> I'm female...
I'll suggest you go library borrow this book "sas survival guide" for a browse through.
Should be a fun and easy read with illustrated guide.

I think these skills (like photography) require practical time also, 100% theory no practical, cannot appreciate the difficulties, hence TS is looking for practical time.

of course, skinning and killing a cute little bunny is very different from reading about it. being very very hungry helps. And the best way to test if your shelter is well constructed is always a tropical rainstorm... -__-

> I'm female...

Strangely OBS does not offer such courses.
The XTrekkers course is very much just an intro, but for only $90/7hrs I guess theres limitations. Cannot expect too much especially when it does not even have some form of basic first-aid included.

If you want to know some info on hiking, basic survival and camping, and there is enough interest from photographers, I can sit down for a cup of coffee and share some info.
I have enough expedition / hiking gear to outfit 5 pax :)
JCC helps some, but much of what I learnt, comes from years of enjoy the outdoors. No macho survival stuff needed most of the time. I mean, are most photographers going to eat raw fish from a river, cut up a snake, or even risk drinking water from a stream?
I think if you are bringing so much gear, you will be pretty close to some help or basic civilisation.

What unit were you in ?
Come see me, I will give you a good time in Guards. Plenty of survival training, and if you want to go to JTC, happy to call the CO and help you get a spot for your next reservist ICT..
I didn't take a single day of MC for all my reservist.
And I learned plenty in my unit.

:bsmilie: no offense here... but generally most units in the army are too relaxed. i shall not reveal much where i come from. :bsmilie:

As mentioned by redmonsoon, the sas survival book is a good book he recommanded. Simple to understand and comes in a very small pocket size version and even as a iphone app. If its first aid courses that you are after, there are courses available from red cross singapore. U get certified to be a first aider after passing a practical and theory test after a 3 day course.

On a more serious note you might want to volunteer (time permitting) with the Girl Guides Association, I think their Leaders do get some basic training.

Wondering if anyone can recommend a basic wilderness survival workshop. I'd like to pick up skills like navigation, building a shelter, etc. so I'm not completely useless if I get lost in a remote jungle. (Do guys learn these sorts of things in NS? I'm female, so I wouldn't know.) Unlikely that I'd ever need to use these skills, but my motto is "you never know".

Googling turned up this 1-day survival workshop on Pulau Ubin:
X-Trekkers Adventure Consultant - an adventure travel agency in Singapore - Basic Survival Skills

This Yahoo Answers thread suggests there's a lack of such courses in Singapore, at least as of 5 years ago.
Yahoo! Answers - Wilderness survival and first aid training in singapore??

YouTube plenty of survival skill , DIY, BOB

As mentioned by redmonsoon, the sas survival book is a good book he recommanded. Simple to understand and comes in a very small pocket size version and even as a iphone app. If its first aid courses that you are after, there are courses available from red cross singapore. U get certified to be a first aider after passing a practical and theory test after a 3 day course.

I'll check out this book. A little theoretical knowledge is better than nothing. As for first aid, I have CPR training but it's probably good to take a full first aid course.

Cool tales of NS coming out in this thread. First time I heard of JCC.

Not really into movement of survivalism but when I was living in the States, all my local roommates have some sort of 72 hours to 96 hours survival kit for some reason, probably because the region I was in was recently affected by Hurricane Katrina directly or from watching too many apocalyptic films like the The Walking Dead.

Not wanting to be left out, I want and equipped myself with a similar kit complete with a 3M full facepiece respirator with Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) filter cartridges, a Mission Oriented Protective Posture 4 (MOPP 4) Nuclear, Biological, Chemical (NBC) suit on fire sale from an online military surplus store and also a portable High Frequency (HF) / Very High Frequency (VHF) radio transceiver. :sweatsm:

All these for approximately U$500.00 ++ in full serviceable condition.

Last edited:
9V-Orion Images said:
Not really into movement of survivalism but when I was living in the States, all my local roommates have some sort of 72 hours to 96 hours survival kit for some reason, probably because the region I was in was recently affected by Hurricane Katrina directly or from watching too many apocalyptic films like the The Walking Dead.

Not wanting to be left out, I want and equipped myself with a similar kit complete with a 3M full facepiece respirator with Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) filter cartridges, a Mission Oriented Protective Posture 4 (MOPP 4) Nuclear, Biological, Chemical (NBC) suit on fire sale from an online military surplus store and also a portable High Frequency (HF) / Very High Frequency (VHF) radio transceiver. :sweatsm:

All these for approximately U$500.00 ++ in full serviceable condition.

You live in Racoon City or your employer is Unbrella Corp? :D

I supposed some of these torture methods would be locked in a windowless room and subject to repeated hours of "China Wine". After 30mins their will is shattered and they will tell you everything.

:bsmilie: but.. 30 mins is not even an hour ;)

You live in Racoon City or your employer is Unbrella Corp? :D
Blame the Yanks for being influenced by daily federal and state sponsored fear mongering antics praying on post Cold War nuclear apocalypse paranoia particularly after the September 11 terrorism attacks, 2001 Amerithrax outbreak, worldwide influenza pandemic, 2012 phenomenon, etc. etc. further exacerbated and manipulated by the mass media. :bsmilie:

Also the random hurricane and tornado warning from time to time.