WIFI SD card

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
There are quite a number of brands n their cost vary.

May I know which one is most recommended?

Brands I know are eye-fi, transcend, trek and Toshiba. Any others?

Last edited:
There are quite a number of brands n their cost vary.

May I know which one is most recommended?

Brands I know are eye-fi, transcend, trek and Toshiba. Any others?

Sorry, is wifi sd card. Typo

I heard Panasonic is coming out with a version as well.

Is the Transcend one even out yet?

So far, I have heard a lot of negative stuff about the Trek Flu-card.

I do suggest reading up on the reviews and the threads comparing these type of cards on the dpreview forums.

I'm using trek flu card. After the initial novelty effect wears off I have stopped using.

Is Giant still selling toshiba n trek 8gb for $60?

Other than sim lim sq, where else also sell?

I just got myself the eye-fi mobile x2 8gb card from ebay.

The entire experience on the setup was totally frustrating. The setup process is not intuitive and is a pure hassle. It is one of those tech companies that assume that all of us are tech geeks. After a few hours of troubleshooting and trying all means I finally get the pairing to work between the card in my 5D3 and my ipad. Did some simple test shots and transfer was easy. Though usage is not as simple as I expected 'cos there's a need to toggle between wifi selection and the eye-fi utility.Nevertheless, I'd test it outside this weekend and see if it gives problem.

So far, I see no real justification to use this wifi transfer unless on-the-spot verification of images is really required on the ipad. I can only blame myself for not reading/researching sufficiently online before buying this. sigh...

Last edited:
what do you want to use the card for?

My experience is only with Toshiba Flashair. Setup is very easy. Linking up is easy and stable too. For transfer of pics onto tablet is fine. But you might find it slow if your file size is huge. This could be just a limitation of the wireless speed. For leisure, it works fine.

For serious tethered shooting, you might want to consider wired connections from camera to pc; or those special wireless transmitters.

Does Flashair now allows for direct cam to computer folder transfer/download or do we still have to view via browser, then click to download each photo individually?

Does Flashair now allows for direct cam to computer folder transfer/download or do we still have to view via browser, then click to download each photo individually?

So far no yet as seen from their flash air web site. Would be great if such feature can be introduced

I'm looking at getting one too.

We will probably be shooting in a room/ hall around 10 x 10m. We'll plant a tablet/ laptop/ PC in a central area for wireless uploads. No need to be instant - hence not really tethered.

Just need to be reasonably quick (a minute or 2 for a 10MP jpeg) and 'secure' - we won't be reviewing immediately, just want to make sure they get uploaded automatically.

Will be either an iOS tablet or a windows laptop/desktop.

Anyone with first-hand experience with toshiba or eye-fi?

I have not found a way to autotransfer files from flashair to devices, after every shot. I have only done batch transfer of files to my ipad. The transfer speed is definitely faster than 2 mins per jpg. Somehow on the pc, we need to transfer the pics one by one, which is quite irritating. Not sure abt the mac. I would imagine the powerful use of flashair if it could do tethering or batch transfer on pc, even if it need a cheap/free app or software.

Fotophilic said:
I have not found a way to autotransfer files from flashair to devices, after every shot. I have only done batch transfer of files to my ipad. The transfer speed is definitely faster than 2 mins per jpg. Somehow on the pc, we need to transfer the pics one by one, which is quite irritating. Not sure abt the mac. I would imagine the powerful use of flashair if it could do tethering or batch transfer on pc, even if it need a cheap/free app or software.

Hmm...that would be annoying- to have to transfer one by one.

Hmm...that would be annoying- to have to transfer one by one.

The consolation is that u can view wats insides the card as thumbnails relatively fast. Its only the viewing or copying the full file that has to be done one by one.

Thanks. Probably will just have to go with eye-fi.

Will update, but maybe have to be after CNY

I'm using WIFI card .. been using it since last year after I gotten my OMD ..

I have the 8gb x2 pro and following is what I find about the card
The card is very easy to setup .. I experienced non of the problems that most people complained about ..
either I'm lucky .. or I don't use Apple products since most complaints are with Ipads and Iphones (even though it is rated for use with apple)

My card is set up to route pictures 3 ways and depending on your preference .. however you like to set it up
Camera -> Phone
Phone -> internet
internet -> desktop

I did it this way because I always carry my phone .. the tab and pad are not my normal carry items ..
I set WiFi only so the photos only transfers to internet whenever I have a WiFi connection ..
Once its uploaded to Internet .. it is automatically downloaded by my desktop ..

For me .. I don't have to manually connect to my desktop to upload the pictures .. or transfer images myself
Its basically a lazy mode for me :)

On occasions I get issues uploading pictures to the web .. and it takes a few tries before they are uploaded ..
The card is set to 80% .. so whenever it reaches that capacity .. it will start deleting files that have been transferred ..
so I actually have a virtual unlimited sdcard ..

couple of things I find not to my liking
I can't directly upload from my phone to my desktop (it has to go to internet for some weird reasons)
you have free Eye-Fi account that stores your images for 7 days online .. unless you pay something like 24usd per year ..
the card has to plugged to a desktop to change the configuration .. even though the configuration is painless .. I'm just lazy :p
You can only upload the files to one location at any time .. ie if I change phones .. I have to plug in the card to the desktop to change the location to my new phone

As for the question about it being a class 6 card .. I don't know how that works .. as in where you see the benefits of using a class 10 over class 6..
the only way I see is when you're taking high framerate shots .. but I tested it on my camera and there was no difference .. 15fps before it slows down dramatically (using EyeFi and Transcend 16gb Class10)

any other questions regarding the card do let me know
Richard

The only wifi card that allows auto download, either every shot or selective is Eye-fi..at least for now.