Wifi Repeater/Extender

mardellion

Feb 5, 2014
Singapore
Hi everyone! I'm currently searching for alternatives and solution to my current problem, which is my phones and tablets cannot receive the wifi connection from my living room!! :cry: My laptop works fine, even at the farthest room, but my devices just cannot secure a stable connection unless I'm in the living room. This is driving me crazy.

I'm using starhub's fibre broadband (300mbps I believe), and I'm living in a 5 room HDB (never thought it'll happen in a single story HDB...). My previous starhub modem/router works fine, I can connect my devices from my room, even at the farthest room, with occasional disconnection. I can't move the router/modem cos of the telephone line (or am i wrong?), so I'm looking for an alternative... I've heard people buying 3rd parties modems/routers that has further range capabilities, and I've read up on wifi repeaters. I'm not sure which one is suitable/recommended.

I'm really frustrated, cos this has caused my handphone data to burst by over 3GB and I'm paying extra every month... Can anyone help me or give me recommendations? Should I buy a wifi repeater or? I'm sorry, I'm not very proficient in the router/modem thing, so pardon my question :(

When I were buying the wireless router for my StarHub cable (mine lower speed, so only gave voice modem), the sales person did ask me staying in what type of house (hdb, single floor type etc?), how many room is my unit? Some has stronger signal.
At StarHub counter when I asked can top up to get wireless router modem, the staff advise me that with that top-up amount, I can get a better add on wireless router outside.

If not as mentioned above can try homeplug.

Your option are

1. another wireless router but no one can tell which brand model will work
2. Switch off the wireless in your router and use a separate wireless point. Similar problem with 1.
3. Home plug as suggested.

I'm using the home plug solution.

Power Line and second WiFi access point in your room. Done.
But do read up a bit about Power Line and what factors will disturb the transmission via electrical system.

In my old house, I took the trouble to run a LAN line myself from the main router to the farthest room I could reach then had another Wifi router there.

For my new house, I got the contractor to run a LAN line to every room during the renovation.

just buy a second Wifi access point ("router" is not the precise name for the device).

run an ethernet cable from data-out from primary access point into secondary Wifi Access point.

Set secondary Wifi Access Point to transmit on a different channel. Done.

Your option are

1. another wireless router but no one can tell which brand model will work
2. Switch off the wireless in your router and use a separate wireless point. Similar problem with 1.
3. Home plug as suggested.

I'm using the home plug solution.

Thank you! I'll most likely go with the homeplug option. Any specific model you recommend?

Power Line and second WiFi access point in your room. Done.
But do read up a bit about Power Line and what factors will disturb the transmission via electrical system.

Never heard of Power Line before but thanks for recommending! Will read up on it and see how it goes! But most likely will be going with the home plug solution. Quite straightforward.

In my old house, I took the trouble to run a LAN line myself from the main router to the farthest room I could reach then had another Wifi router there.

For my new house, I got the contractor to run a LAN line to every room during the renovation.

If I were to run a LAN line through every rooms, does that mean my laptop have to have the port?

just buy a second Wifi access point ("router" is not the precise name for the device).

run an ethernet cable from data-out from primary access point into secondary Wifi Access point.

Set secondary Wifi Access Point to transmit on a different channel. Done.

Sounds complicated.. Sorry, am a idiot with all these terminologies.

Yes, a repeater should work too, by extending your wifi coverage.

The D-link DAP-1320 Wireless Range Extender N300 might be suitable. I got the previous gen DIR-505. Netgear's equivalent looks like the Netgear WN3000RP

Thanks for recommending! Will definitely look into it. Need something that can maintain my current speed if not it'll be defeating the purpose of subscribing for a higher speed and paying more.

Bro maybe you can consider the HomePlugs from d-link. I havent actually used one before but I understand this technology is well suited to people like us who have such problems.

http://www.dlink.com.sg/products/prodlist.asp?idCategory=282&type=

Thanks bro. You facing this prob too?

When I were buying the wireless router for my StarHub cable (mine lower speed, so only gave voice modem), the sales person did ask me staying in what type of house (hdb, single floor type etc?), how many room is my unit? Some has stronger signal.
At StarHub counter when I asked can top up to get wireless router modem, the staff advise me that with that top-up amount, I can get a better add on wireless router outside.

If not as mentioned above can try homeplug.

The StarHub guy didn't ask me at all... Maybe it was already reflected in their system, but apparently it's still not strong enough. Maybe I should call them... And see whether I can get a better one and replace for free hehe

300 mbps is the speed if u connect directly to the modem. Wireless or homeplugs will decrease the speed significantly. So subscribing to faster speed need not necessary mean you are getting faster speed thru indirect connection. Suggest u do a google search, hardwarezone has quite a bit on info.

I am using homeplug with wifi access pt inbuild. Aztech 500mbps one. Challenger selling a pair at $119. My room is furthest away from my modem. Using homeplug i am getting peak 50 mbps from M1's 300mbps plan.

300 mbps is the speed if u connect directly to the modem. Wireless or homeplugs will decrease the speed significantly. So subscribing to faster speed need not necessary mean you are getting faster speed thru indirect connection. Suggest u do a google search, hardwarezone has quite a bit on info.

I am using homeplug with wifi access pt inbuild. Aztech 500mbps one. Challenger selling a pair at $119. My room is furthest away from my modem. Using homeplug i am getting peak 50 mbps from M1's 300mbps plan.

Is there a way to connect certain devices to the main and certain devices to the homeplugs?

mardellion bro - I also have similar problems. In fact 4G is more reliable in my room than the WiFi connection. Wanted to fix it but didnt feel like paying a few hundred dollars.

Is there a way to connect certain devices to the main and certain devices to the homeplugs?

home plugs by default uses lan cable. More advanced models has 2-in-1 functions which is lan and wireless connection to the homeplug.

For example I connect my first homeplug to the modem and the 2nd home plug in my room. Then my desktop is connected to the 2nd homeplug thru lan cable while my mobile phone and tablets connects thru wifi to the 2nd homeplug.

If you need more devices connect to your modem then u need to get one router to the modem and first homeplug connect to router instead.