wideangle lens

froggalicious

Feb 21, 2011
west
hi guys
whats the best price i can get for a wideangle lens at local stores? Seems pretty expensive lol :x

If you want any useful help, you're going to have to provide some information. What body, how wide, what budget....

In the absence of any of this, I'd suggest you check out the Price Guides.

Wide angle lenses aren't necessarily expensive. For e.g. most kit lenses (commonly 18-55 on crop-sensor DSLRs) go from wide angle to medium telephoto, and are among the least expensive in most manufacturers' ranges.

AVOID 'wide angle' adapters that fit on the front of your lens. Most are of pitiful optical quality.

Hopefully this link can help TS define if he wants Wide angle or Ultra Wide angle: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Optical/Focal_Length_01.htm

And for best price, it's always better to call the shop and ask....and if you can't define your needs, it means you don't need it yet and I'll recommend you to start off with kit lens first.

hi guys
whats the best price i can get for a wideangle lens at local stores? Seems pretty expensive lol :x

your question not very clear. Not sure if you mean a lens that gives wider view than a typical kit lens on an APS-C DSLR.
Better not to speculate. Await more info from you.

you probably have a kit lens, and the wide angle coverage of a kit lens is enough to cover most of the situation, if you want anything wilder than this, a decent third party ultra wide angle zoom lens start at $700 plus.

hi guys

I'm not sure if you really know what you are taking about. If you haven't figured out which camera you are using and at which focal length you are looking at .. skip the idea and learn the basics. Your kit lens is sufficient for you, for now.

If you want any useful help, you're going to have to provide some information. What body, how wide, what budget....

In the absence of any of this, I'd suggest you check out the Price Guides.

Wide angle lenses aren't necessarily expensive. For e.g. most kit lenses (commonly 18-55 on crop-sensor DSLRs) go from wide angle to medium telephoto, and are among the least expensive in most manufacturers' ranges.

AVOID 'wide angle' adapters that fit on the front of your lens. Most are of pitiful optical quality.

Hi, May i know what do u mean by "pitiful optical quality"?

I believe it mainly due to the distortion..the following link will show you images taken using adapters.

Refer to the sticky: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/477934-Using-Wide-Angle-Tele-Converter-on-your-camera for the reviews for the "Wide Angle" Adapter.....

Not only distortion, problems with flares, CAs, and generally lower sharpness due to crap optical elements used.

i am also eyeing on the canon 10-22mm. But i am not sure if i am purchasing a white elephant, if i did not get to use it as often other than the occasional landscape shoot. Afterall it is around 1k of money, even for bns, some are asking for 800 thereabout.

i am also eyeing on the canon 10-22mm. But i am not sure if i am purchasing a white elephant, if i did not get to use it as often other than the occasional landscape shoot. Afterall it is around 1k of money, even for bns, some are asking for 800 thereabout.

Before you even think of getting a new lens. Think of what the current cannot give you. Then re-look at your previous photos and see which are the focal length that you tend to shoot at. So, If you are spending 90% of your time > 35mm, IMO, It might be better to consider a 2nd hand 3rd party UWA or invest in some other lens that will serve your shooting style.

3rd Party Alternatives to the Canon 10-22 (3rd Party UWA lens cost about $750 to $780 for a brand new set. At the B&S Section, some 3rd party ones can go for about $500.)
- Sigma 10-22mm f4-5.6
- Sigma 10-20mm f3.5
- Tokina 12-24mm f4
- Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5
etc

Please read up on the lens reviews from multiple sources before you jump into buying anything....

Last edited:
Before you even think of getting a new lens. Think of what the current cannot give you. Then re-look at your previous photos and see which are the focal length that you tend to shoot at. So, If you are spending 90% of your time > 35mm, IMO, It might be better to consider a 2nd hand 3rd party UWA or invest in some other lens that will serve your shooting style.

3rd Party Alternatives to the Canon 10-22 (which cost $750 to $780 for a brand new set. At the B&S Section, some 3rd party ones can go for about $500.)
- Sigma 10-22mm f4-5.6
- Sigma 10-20mm f3.5
- Tokina 12-24mm f4
- Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5
etc

Please read up on the lens reviews from multiple sources before you jump into buying anything....

you're saying that the 3rd party lenses are around 750-780 new, right? Coz I'm pretty sure the 10-22 canon is much more expensive than that...

you're saying that the 3rd party lenses are around 750-780 new, right? Coz I'm pretty sure the 10-22 canon is much more expensive than that...

Sorry if this confuses anyone...I meant 3rd party alternatives to the Canon 10-22 cost $750-$780. Not referring to the Canon 10-22 itself... These 3rd party UWA lenses can be probably be found in the B&S Section for ~500+.

2nd Hand for 10-22 in the B&S is avg $850 - $1000.

*Edited my previous post*

Last edited:
Sorry if this confuses anyone...I meant 3rd party alternatives to the Canon 10-22 cost $750-$780. Not referring to the Canon 10-22 itself... These 3rd party UWA lenses can be probably be found in the B&S Section for ~500+.

2nd Hand for 10-22 in the B&S is avg $850 - $1000.

*Edited my previous post*

cool :)

yeah the 3rd party brands offer good value for money! :thumbsup:

cool :)

yeah the 3rd party brands offer good value for money! :thumbsup:

3rd party brands do offer good value for money when you are willing to accept the "weakness" (etc Distortion, Flare, CA, Sharpness etc) when you read about it via reviews. But it's not to say that the Canon 10-22 is perfect, but it may have something that others are willing to fork out the extra money on.

*The weakness of the lens is only a real weakness if you can spot it, if you can't spot the weakness, it's probably the "perfect" lens you want*

3rd party brands do offer good value for money when you are willing to accept the "weakness" (etc Distortion, Flare, CA, Sharpness etc) when you read about it via reviews. But it's not to say that the Canon 10-22 is perfect, but it may have something that others are willing to fork out the extra money on.

*The weakness of the lens is only a real weakness if you can spot it, if you can't spot the weakness, it's probably the "perfect" lens you want*

Third party lenses are getting better and better already...the newer Sigma primes received very good reviews, with some reviews saying that they even exceed the quality of the original brand lenses. The Sigma 85/1.4 has much better CA control than the Nikon 85/1.4G, for instance.

Third party lenses are getting better and better already...the newer Sigma primes received very good reviews, with some reviews saying that they even exceed the quality of the original brand lenses. The Sigma 85/1.4 has much better CA control than the Nikon 85/1.4G, for instance.

To add on, heard that Tamron 18-270 is receiving quite some good reviews too...