Wide Difference in Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

airconvent

Apr 12, 2005
I can't believe this. Have been doing some homework on the FZ5. dpreview, megapixel and dave all rated its image quality excellent or above average , yet PC Mag reviewed and gave it a 5/10 rating, citing poor image quality. Either they know something we don't or the other reviewers are all wrong.
What about you actually fz5 owners? Are the images ichi-ban?
I know the 350D and 70D are much more expensive cameras but how close are the images compared with these popular "giants"?

airconvent said:
I know the 350D and 70D are much more expensive cameras but how close are the images compared with these popular "giants"?

I should u r refer to D70 heee... Canon put the D behind... and nikon put the D in front... hey i am just bored...

One thing for sure... the bokeh in DSLR is mouthwatering... so much nicer than our FZ...

see see... tell you go for D70 you dun wan. :bsmilie:

anyway... you shouldn't base your decision just on the reviews... go and see see look look yourself.

why not join one of the PUG outing try out thr FZ5.

lastly... those reviewers that gave good ratings are photog sites... I also assume the it's the photogs the does the reviews... for PC Mag.. it's more techie based... mabbe their benchmark are those quality of NASA's Hubble standards :dunno:

Its difficult to decide from reviews because you dont know what the reviewer is looking for in the camera. Maybe its 9/10 for daytime pictures and 5/10 for daytime + night time shots.

hmmm bokeh for FZ5 is good.. ;)
anyway... IMHO in daytime i'd vouch for FZ being able to hold its own against DSLRs (will lose out in high contrast scenes, and sports shoot). if u are those who like to zoom in to pictures to see the individual pixels, DSLRs are WAY cleaner and better.. but then again, note that to actually view the photos at say even just a 3 MP at full, you need 4 LCD panels in a 2X2 matrix..

at lower night conditions, the high ISO capabilities of the DSLRs thrash any prosumer cameras by a super huge margin (except for the new Fuji F10)..

maybe pm me your email, i send u some untouched photos outof the FZ5 and u haf a look..
cheers

curious...what is a "bokeh"?

airconvent said:
curious...what is a "bokeh"?

Good question posted here.

Let me answer this very tough question:

Bokeh is when you grow old, and have no more teeth.
Although in accurate pronounciation, it should be Bo Geh. :think:

Bokeh is a term coined by the japanese used to describe the background, that is blurred by a shallower depth of field. If you ask wat is depth of field, then must hammer you already.

Do a search in the forums.

Imo the three advantages dslr have over our beloved fz is the
Good af/shutter
Good clean image quality at high iso
Look damn pro :devil:

Hmm out of cursiosity how many lenses u guys had for yr dslrs?

Bo Geh from my FZ5...original photos, only resize down :)

Not so "Bo Geh" #1
Macaw.jpg

"Bo Geh" more #2
P1010257.jpg

Almost all "Bo Geh" #3
MyAmazon.jpg

rhair78 said:
If you ask wat is depth of field, then must hammer you already.

Simi si Depth of Field Huh...??? haaa... Short form DOF si bor...

heee...

reno77 said:
Its difficult to decide from reviews because you dont know what the reviewer is looking for in the camera. Maybe its 9/10 for daytime pictures and 5/10 for daytime + night time shots.

I totally agreed. But some daytime pictures can have ugly noise too especially the clear blue skies. Very annoying!

unseen said:
hmmm bokeh for FZ5 is good.. ;)
anyway... IMHO in daytime i'd vouch for FZ being able to hold its own against DSLRs (will lose out in high contrast scenes, and sports shoot). if u are those who like to zoom in to pictures to see the individual pixels, DSLRs are WAY cleaner and better.. but then again, note that to actually view the photos at say even just a 3 MP at full, you need 4 LCD panels in a 2X2 matrix..

at lower night conditions, the high ISO capabilities of the DSLRs thrash any prosumer cameras by a super huge margin (except for the new Fuji F10)..

maybe pm me your email, i send u some untouched photos outof the FZ5 and u haf a look..
cheers

FZ20 pictures will have noticeable noise even at the lowest ISO80 shots. You will notice it in landscape shots with blue skies or subject with large area of even colors.

I totally agree that it will not show up on 4R prints which most common sizes. But I (and I believe most people) don't print that much anymore. I mostly use my photo as wallpaper on my 17" DELL ultrasharp LCD and the noise will scream at you.

What is worst is that the ISO200 and ISO400 for the FZ20 produces pictures that are absolutely useless. So the only useable ISO80-100.

Get DSLR if picture quality is all you care.

Image noise has always been a cause for concern in the point-and-shoot Lumix FZ cameras but surprisingly, the FZ10 seemed to have faired better in this regard (as compared to the FZ20 and later cameras). Is this the result of a trade-off for higher image resolution? :think:

the increase of imaging noise is not due to a higher pixel count. its due to the fact that panasonic squeezes in 1 more MP count on the same sized sensor.
4MP on a 1/2.5" sensor and 5MP on the same 1/2.5" sensor...

if i m not mistaken, bigger sensor size for the fz20 would help to make its images less noisy...

Try not to unexpose the picture too much and then pump up the contrast and brightness... Like that u will see even more noise...

But then again, noise dun bother me... probably because we see it in actual pixels that why u find it very noisy, but if u print to prints it might be not so noticable...

codling said:
the increase of imaging noise is not due to a higher pixel count. its due to the fact that panasonic squeezes in 1 more MP count on the same sized sensor.
4MP on a 1/2.5" sensor and 5MP on the same 1/2.5" sensor...

if i m not mistaken, bigger sensor size for the fz20 would help to make its images less noisy...

Exactly .... that's why those buying the 10, are getting another 10 without the surcharge ...... get it? ;)

Shhhhh..... also quieter camera .......... :think:

Hi anyone can send me a original unedited pics taken by fz10 and fz20 at full resolution at different iso?
Curious on how bad they are as compared to the Lc-5

eow said:
Hi anyone can send me a original unedited pics taken by fz10 and fz20 at full resolution at different iso?

This is ISO200 night shot unprocessed at 100% crop.

P1010344.jpg

eow said:

Hmmm... I think it's quite unfair to compare it like this if the pics are not taken at the same time with the same lighting conditions... :dunno:

During PLUG maybe you guys can try... ;)

IMHO...

Status
Not open for further replies.