Wide converter for FZ20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simresd

Oct 16, 2004
Hi,

how much does it cost for the wide converter for FZ20, and the model too?

Thanks.

Simresd said:
Hi,

Thanks.

Are you referring to Wide Angle Lens?

Simresd said:
Hi,

Thanks.

We tried the original Panasonic WA lens during the recent new models preview at panasonic studio on 09 April 2005
Wish you had joined us and had the hands-on.

There are 3rd party Wide Angle Lens too, less than S$100. I am using one (please see photo below). It is a WCOn + Macro lens

the only problem with this WCON is that you will need to step down to 58mm, using a Phayee Lens Adapter, and below 1X, there will be vignetting.

ProOpticlense.jpg

ProOpticlense03.jpg

JimDavis said:
There are 3rd party Wide Angle Lens too, less than S$100. I am using one (please see photo below). It is a WCOn + Macro lens

the only problem with this WCON is that you will need to step down to 58mm, using a Phayee Lens Adapter, and below 1X, there will be vignetting.

ProOpticlense.jpg

ProOpticlense03.jpg

hey JD,

Both macro and wide can be used separately right? DO they sell just the macro only?

if you zoom (to avoid vignetting), doesn't it kind o defeat the purpose of using a wide angle lense (at least to a certain extent)? :think: never used one myself, but thinking of buying one.

You may try the Olympus WCON-08B

Not sure bout the price in Singapore. I'm from Malaysia and I'm selling this one for +/- RM600.00

Have used the Olympus WCON-08B on FZ20. It is 55mm threaded and no problem of vegnetting even at FZ20 widest angle. Bought it for less than SG$80 2nd hand from Yahoo Auction Singapore.

If you don't mind 2nd hand goods, search around ClubSnap buy&sell, Yahoo Auction, Singnet Classified.

JimDavis said:

have used this sort of converters before. quality is not good though and they generally work less than the specifications (e.g. they say 0.45x but in fact is only 0.8x). u could do some calculations by taking pics of the same scene with the converter mounted and unmounted.

mpenza said:
have used this sort of converters before. quality is not good though and they generally work less than the specifications (e.g. they say 0.45x but in fact is only 0.8x). u could do some calculations by taking pics of the same scene with the converter mounted and unmounted.

True, with cheap lens, can't expect quality that is as good as lens like Pana or Oly. :)

I tried it, not too bad though, if you are not fuzzy about some little minor distortion at the corners.

i bought the wide angle lens from AP with the tube that connect to 52mm. Price paid $250. No vignette when used with fz20. u can check out if interested.

Is it true that step down from 62-52mm WCON at full wide got no vignetting? I find it quite hard to believe... unless it is a 0.8x or 0.7x... is it, tsin?

Anyways, I'm looking for a 0.5x or 0.45x... any brand to recommend? Price? I'd prefer a 62mm rear thread to minimize the possibility of vignetting at full wide (equivalent 36mm) on the FZ20...

Well guys, it is up to u to believe it or not, as Mpenza would always say, the cheaper converters which have x0.45 or x0.5 on the wcon might not have a conversion factor whatever it is stated.

I guess if u guys wan to be on the safe side, get a oly one... wcon07 or wcon08 would do... From the experience, i think anything less than x0.7 would display pretty bad barrel distortion, as in rounding along the edges.

Wcon08 come in 2 type.. the older one being more expensive and have a metal body come in 62mm thread size, that one would cost around 180 - 200 for a second hand version

The other cheaper wcon08 is 55mm thread size, i believe it is the same plastic body as the wcon07 which is oso 55mm. A first hand one would cost around 180 - 200 too... but in B&S there always one poping out now and then, usually the price would be around 90 - 120...

Status
Not open for further replies.