wide angle+portrait for D7000

tokina plasticky?? are you sure they gave you the right brand? :what:

hmmm maybe the shop show him a Tochina one instead.... knowing some shop.... hmmm... :rolleyes:

May I know is there huge difference between Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and Tamron 17-55 f/2.8 for Portrait purpose? Necessary to get two lenses?

May I know is there huge difference between Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and Tamron 17-55 f/2.8 for Portrait purpose? Necessary to get two lenses?

That will entirely depend on your shooting preferences. It is necessary for me.

Yes, very much difference. The f/1.4 can separate the person from the background and give a 3D feel, while f/2.8 in the focal length range of 17-55 can't do that nicely. And the f/1.4 is very much useful for shooting in low light situation, while the f/2.8 is really not that useful in such situation. After you shoot f/1.4 lens, you won't look back to other lenses with f/2.8 and below.

F2.8 has its uses also. Especially in a studio environment. Where large apertures are not needed. Sometimes you need a zoom for the nature of the event you are covering like sports and event shooting with flash or ample light.

Don't discount F2.8 too quickly.

F2.8 has its uses also. Especially in a studio environment. Where large apertures are not needed. Sometimes you need a zoom for the nature of the event you are covering like sports and event shooting with flash or ample light.

Don't discount F2.8 too quickly.

Yes, I hope Nikon can come up with a 70-200 f1.4 or f1.8. Haha.

kentwong81 said:
Yes, I hope Nikon can come up with a 70-200 f1.4 or f1.8. Haha.

If they do, I will not want to carry it.

F stop is factor of focal length. For 200mm, do know how big the aperture at f1.4 have to be??

If they do, I will not want to carry it.

F stop is factor of focal length. For 200mm, do know how big the aperture at f1.4 have to be??

not now but technology will advance. Hopefully they can find a magic to make it.

kentwong81 said:
not now but technology will advance. Hopefully they can find a magic to make it.

Nothing can overcome the laws of physics. Unless, of course if light stop traveling in a straight line.

You need a miracle.

If you extrapolate the prices of the new f/1.4 primes to gauge what a spanking new nano crystal-coated AFS 70-200mm f/1.4 G will cost (a billion dollars) and the size of the front element to receive that amount of light (maybe like the Sigma 500mm f/2.8 bazooka), many will dream of it but few will buy it. That is why Nikon won't think about making something like that for the normal retail market.

If you are already familiar with the 85 f/1.4 and how thin the DOF is already think how practical that same aperture will be at 200mm?

@hfmoon: If you are mainly shooting street portraits the 50 f/1.4 is fast and gives good separation; the 17-55 f/2.8 is great for events and is probably more versatile to start with as you can include groups.

If you want a f1.4 at 200mm, your aperture size will have to be around 143mm, which is hella huge. The 85mm f1.4 at its maximum aperture has an aperture size of around 59.5mm, just for comparison. It is already huge, and your 70-200mm f1.4 will be too huge and heavy to be practical to use. Not to mention the DOF at 200mm f1.4 is barely useful for anything.

Yes it is not possible at moment otherwise they would have made it.
Future is uncertain and we should never rule it out. Now we only can talk for fun. Anyway, it's already OT. Hope the TS don't mind.

thanks

Tamron boh 11-16/2.8 leh... very shocked to see the comment about it being plasticky, and negative comment about the AF/MF clutch. In fact it's one of the reasons why I like this lens so much. So easy to switch between AF and MF, instead of searching for the small little switch.

Agreed! 11-16/2.8 is one of my favourite lens. Weird to hear that it is plasticky.

Nothing can overcome the laws of physics. Unless, of course if light stop traveling in a straight line.

You need a miracle.

My friend, I understand your point completely but perhaps another analogy will serve better as light bends. Theory of Relativity.

Last edited:
Daoyin said:
My friend, I understand your point completely but perhaps another analogy will serve better as light bends. Theory of Relativity.

Ya. Light can bend in that way. Wonder how they can implement that in a len? A mini black hole in every lens? LOL.

Good one bro.

Nevermind f/1.4... Why do you think that Nikkor 200mm f/2 is so frigg'n huge already!?

Later the light falls into the black hole and u can never take any pic as it never has a chance to reach the Sensor..:p
maybe a very dense material like white dwarf or neutron star matter will be enough to bend and flex the light slightly, but u will never be able to carry the camera with 2 hands..lol

brapodam said:
Eh bro, type too fast, this reminds me of a lot of the people who get flamed in CS :bsmilie:

I welcome the flame, so my burger will be flame grilled like the $1 chicken burger I am supposed to buy 2 weeks ago. ;)

Btw iPhone not easy to type for people with big fingers.