wide angle+portrait for D7000

May i ask ... which one is better

1) sigma 10-20 f3.5 (quoted $1063.00 in taiwan)
2) Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX (quoted $1475.00 in taiwan)

I actually like the sigma 10-20/4-5.6 more. But my fav is still the Tokina 11-16/2.8.

Last edited:
Finallyyyyy!!! ** I am again .. . a proven impulsive buyer :(

After dinner, took my D7k out to nearby camera store to try out UWA lenses ... some stores people are really very kind to let me try.
These are my beginner feelings ...
1) Tokina 11-16 f2.8 ... image are soft but clear. Lens are poorly built ... very plasticky feel. (I pass it) Especially don't like the plastic toggle ring between AF/M
2) Sigma 10-20 f3.5 ... image solid clear! Lens feel lighter than nikkor one ... offered sgd $993.00 (cash) ... filter size is 82mm ... filter will cost extra more.
3) Nikkor 10-24 f3.5/4.5G ... image very clear but less vivid than sigma, image are cooler toned (more natural) ... lens has very solid feel. Last 2 in stock in the entire building of around 6 stores... offered sgd $1214.00.

In the end, ... i bought the Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX.
Also 77mm B+W UV filter ... cost sgd$78.

Is the price reasonable??

Last edited:
Finallyyyyy!!! ** I am again .. . a proven impulsive buyer :(

After dinner, took my D7k out to nearby camera store to try out UWA lenses ... some stores people are really very kind to let me try.
These are my beginner feelings ...
1) Tokina 11-16 f2.8 ... image are soft but clear. Lens are poorly built ... very plasticky feel. (I pass it) Especially don't like the plastic toggle ring between AF/M
2) Sigma 10-20 f3.5 ... image solid clear! Lens feel lighter than nikkor one ... offered sgd $993.00 (cash) ... filter size is 82mm ... filter will cost extra more.
3) Nikkor 10-24 f3.5/4.5G ... image very clear but less vivid than sigma, image are cooler toned (more natural) ... lens has very solid feel. Last 2 in stock in the entire building of around 6 stores... offered sgd $1214.00.

In the end, ... i bought the Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX.
Also 77mm B+W UV filter ... cost sgd$78.

Is the price reasonable??

Tokina 11-16 poorly built? Soft? It is one of the sharpest (if not the sharpest) UWAs out there, and Tokina is well known for its solid build quality, many people consider their lenses to be built like tanks. There is a reason why the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 is the top of the list for DX UWAs

Tokina 11-16 poorly built? Soft? It is one of the sharpest (if not the sharpest) UWAs out there, and Tokina is well known for its solid build quality, many people consider their lenses to be built like tanks. There is a reason why the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 is the top of the list for DX UWAs

Tokina 11-16/2.8 is one of my sharpest lens. The Nikon 10-24 edges is not sharp at all. And I feel the build of the tokina is way way better than the Nikon. But like I say, different people see differently. Some people love the big Nikon words. LOL. ;):dunno:

I agree ... people like me... very incline to ''NIKKOR''.
Until I am near to semi-pro ... else i cannot comment too much on lens performance.
I can only share my comment like a noob so please ''pang-chance'' ''pang-chance''

Another thing ... i ask like >6 stores for nikkor 35mm f1.8 ... all say out of stock.
the store people here very kaisu, kept telling buyer to buy buy buy, fast fast fast ... else future incoming stocks will be very ex.

Until I am near to semi-pro ... else i cannot comment too much on lens performance.
I can only share my comment like a noob so please ''pang-chance'' ''pang-chance''

Another thing ... i ask like >6 stores for nikkor 35mm f1.8 ... all say out of stock.
the store people here very kaisu, kept telling buyer to buy buy buy, fast fast fast ... else future incoming stocks will be very ex.

Don't listen to them about future stocks being very ex, keep up with rumour sites (like nikonrumours.com), they usually will post if they know the price of stuff is going to go up.

Everyone is expecting prices to go up pretty soon due to the situation in Japan. http://nikonrumors.com/2011/03/15/nikon-prices-going-up.aspx

Also, they know once you walk out of the store, very good chance you will not buy there.

Anyway, enjoy your new gear. You should get a Nikon Tshirt, Nikon Cap and Nikon Bag to go with your new lens.:bsmilie:

Last edited:
Haha 3 lenses all Nikon...should be enough to qualify to be a fan.

Nikon Singapore should have a promotion "show me your lenses" - anyone who registers more than 2 lenses with them get a Nikon T-shirt, cap, bag and brolly!

Anyway, enjoy your new gear. You should get a Nikon Tshirt, Nikon Cap and Nikon Bag to go with your new lens.:bsmilie:

Dear Proven Impulsive Buyer TS, hope you checked with your CFO.

Anyway, go enjoy yourself with the new lens.

Ya, I don't mind a Nikon tee...
So far cfo very quiet.. play those silence game with me la.

I have evil plans to convince her to buy d300s... Haha.

Ya, I don't mind a Nikon tee...
So far cfo very quiet.. play those silence game with me la.

I have evil plans to convince her to buy d300s... Haha.

You have D7k, why go for D300s??

Just go FX la.

just go fx lah, than u finally have a really good reason to buy 14-24 2.8, and pair it up with a 28-300vr...
and get a second hand D700,

u cover ya focal length for fx, while ya dx gears can pass to CFO...

maybe he confuse tokina with tamron :D

Tamron boh 11-16/2.8 leh... very shocked to see the comment about it being plasticky, and negative comment about the AF/MF clutch. In fact it's one of the reasons why I like this lens so much. So easy to switch between AF and MF, instead of searching for the small little switch.