wide angle or portrait lens for model shoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murcielago

Mar 14, 2005
ok, i will be honest here.

when taking photos of models at it show, trade fairs,etc etc, model shoots, waht is ideal? portrait or Wide lens?

i mean, i know portrait ends up with close up shots (unless u want to step 2-3m back to take a full body shot)?? and wide lens for full body shots.

which shld i bring if i can only choose 1?

when taking photos of models at it show, trade fairs,etc etc, model shoots, waht is ideal? portrait or Wide lens?

i mean, i know portrait ends up with close up shots (unless u want to step 2-3m back to take a full body shot)?? and wide lens for full body shots.

If you are refering to the 85mm, you might have a challenging time with the crowd for a full body shot. 50mm may get you what you want.

How wide is your wide angle? It may be possible, but beware of distortion.

BC

If you bring WA lens, you can only frame half to full-body shots. If you are thinking of getting close-ups above the shoulder, then you need a telephoto lens.

If you want the flexibility of both, then get the ultra-zoom lens like 18-200mm or 18-135mm.

nikon related?

Bring the portrait lens... you wouldn't want to capture so much of the background of people...;)

For what you require, a portrait lens would be the choice under normal circumstances..... but at times, you may require a long zoom...

i was thinking, during the film days, 85 and 105 were considered portrait ranges. now, with 1.5x crop factor, a 50mm becomes a 75mm, close enough to a 85mm by why are so few people using the 50mm f1.8 for model shoots? i was thinking of getting the 60mm micro for macro photog and have it doube up as a portrait lens..

make sense?

i was thinking, during the film days, 85 and 105 were considered portrait ranges. now, with 1.5x crop factor, a 50mm becomes a 75mm, close enough to a 85mm by why are so few people using the 50mm f1.8 for model shoots? i was thinking of getting the 60mm micro for macro photog and have it doube up as a portrait lens..

make sense?

Not a bad idea.....have that lens.... but the person's face will be super sharp... can see the hair in the pore on the face !!! :bsmilie:

what does one expect from a portrait photo?

soft (those dreamy effect?) or sharp where u can see every strand of the hair, features of teh face etc?

i prefer to see everything, because at the end of the day, you can use ps to soften it while keeping the eyes and lips sharp, compared to the reverse where you cant get the detail even if you wanted it.

i like my 50mm but i still think its alittle too long, i always end up with neck up only, i was hoping to get a 35mm to shoot but i dont think i can afford it at this point of time. i think whats more important is the aperture. i kinda often end up shooting people in low light, be it sunset or indoors, and without a large aperture, its going to be a mess.

soft (those dreamy effect?) or sharp where u can see every strand of the hair, features of teh face etc?

I prefer to have it sharp. It is always possible to soften a sharp picture during PP, but not vice-versa.

BC

i prefer to see everything, because at the end of the day, you can use ps to soften it while keeping the eyes and lips sharp, compared to the reverse where you cant get the detail even if you wanted it.

i like my 50mm but i still think its alittle too long, i always end up with neck up only, i was hoping to get a 35mm to shoot but i dont think i can afford it at this point of time. i think whats more important is the aperture. i kinda often end up shooting people in low light, be it sunset or indoors, and without a large aperture, its going to be a mess.

Hm. I think the 50mm is really versatile, and you just have to work it out more. Getting the 35mm might not actually solve your problems 'cause there's going to be some distortion if you go close to your subject, as opposed to backing away with the 50mm to get more of your subject. Granted, it's not exactly the widest, but it's still suitable for a wide range of usage.

The 85 and 105 mm were selected for its perspective compression effect on the facial features and not the field of view (ie crop).

Hence directly translating a 50mm to a 75mm will not hack it.

make sense?

can always gaussian blur it in PS, but not the other way around.

The 85 and 105 mm were selected for its perspective compression effect on the facial features and not the field of view (ie crop).

Hence directly translating a 50mm to a 75mm will not hack it.

If you really think about it, perspective compression effect is directly related to the field of view. Maybe draw a diagram, it will help you understand.

in that case, would a 90mm macro lens to the job?

If you really think about it, perspective compression effect is directly related to the field of view. Maybe draw a diagram, it will help you understand.

I agree with that...

BC

in that case, would a 90mm macro lens to the job?

Of course. It's just whether you have the space to reverse into, so that you can get the desired composition.

Status
Not open for further replies.