Wide Angle Lens

cjyong

Dec 21, 2006
Hi, would need some recommendation for a good wide angle lens. Preferably a third party brand.

Currenly considering:

1) SIGMA 10-20/4-5.6 DC HSM

2) Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX (AF 11-16mm f/2.8)

Please advice.

Cheers.

Very common question. Please do try a search first.

cjyong said:
Hi, would need some recommendation for a good wide angle lens. Preferably a third party brand.

Currenly considering:

Please advice.

Cheers.

What's your budget? Your current camera? What do you like to shoot?

Currenly considering:

Please advice.

Cheers.

Budget about 1k. Using Nikon D7000, more for landscape shootings.

For landscape, both can do the job.
Both are within your budget.
Try flipping a coin instead?

Probably have to ask yourself if you need the extra focal length or a constant large aperture more.

Regarding of the sharpness and reliability of the lens, can anyone advice. I have tried the sigma 10-20mm before but not the tokina 11-16mm. Need some advice on that though.

Cheers.

Regarding of the sharpness and reliability of the lens, can anyone advice. I have tried the sigma 10-20mm before but not the tokina 11-16mm. Need some advice on that though.

Cheers.

Have you rad the reviews?

Sigma should a better choice based on mag review when they compared wide lens... but I think the user hold 80% of responsibility for good shoot.

Try this site:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...LensComp=712&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

I know this site is mainly for canon's camera only but the two lens is the same and so their sharpness as well as general characteristic shouldn't varies too widely for different mount.

Reliability wise, I would think both are about the same. My bro uses the Tokina (he is a Nikon user) and had sing praises for this lens, some of my friends uses the Sigma, they have no problem too.

Also, like what Rashkae said... please read individual reviews on line too.

Both are good options. Depends on 1) whether you need the extra 1mm on the wide end, or the 4mm on the long end; 2) whether you need F2.8. Can't really go wrong with either, I don't feel there's a significant IQ difference between the two to say one is obviously better than the other.

I have the tokina 11-16mm. Switched over from Canon 17-40L, and never regretted that move. The 11-16mm is perfect on my cropped canon 60D and still usable on my FF 5D mark ii at 16mm.

do u think u need extra focal range?
if yes..u can go to sigma..

do u think u need fast lens?
if yes, u can go to tokina.

both are excellent lens...the result is almost the same..

*just my 2 cents*

I am thinking of this 2 lens as well

Mayb u can ask yourself will you be jus using the lens for landscape? Or you will be using this lens wif landscape and walkabout
Cos if just landscarp you don't need the f2.8 and can save u 100+$ (can get a nd filter)
If using as walk about than 2.8 will be good

I m going for f2.8 :)

I am thinking of this 2 lens as well

Mayb u can ask yourself will you be jus using the lens for landscape? Or you will be using this lens wif landscape and walkabout
Cos if just landscarp you don't need the f2.8 and can save u 100+$ (can get a nd filter)
If using as walk about than 2.8 will be good

I m going for f2.8 :)

:thumbsup: