Wide Angle Lens

ethan79

Apr 7, 2010
Bros,i was wondering if i need to take wide angle shots, which lens shld i go for? I'm holding a Pentax K-X and thinking of getting a wide angle lens but i know nuts abt getting the suitable for Pentax. Is Tamron 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 considered a wide angle len cos i also thinking of this as my all-in-one lens when i travel.

Pardon me if this question is being asked a few times.Btw, i only having the kit lens DAL 18-55mm lens. Been playing for a while already and think it's time for me to upgrade my lens,hence thinking of getting wide angle lens and also a ulility lens like the tamron.

Bros,i was wondering if i need to take wide angle shots, which lens shld i go for? I'm holding a Pentax K-X and thinking of getting a wide angle lens but i know nuts abt getting the suitable for Pentax. Is Tamron 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 considered a wide angle len cos i also thinking of this as my all-in-one lens when i travel.

Pardon me if this question is being asked a few times.Btw, i only having the kit lens DAL 18-55mm lens. Been playing for a while already and think it's time for me to upgrade my lens,hence thinking of getting wide angle lens and also a ulility lens like the tamron.

I think you mean zoom lens is it?
Wide angle, your 18-55 kits lens is already a wide angle lens (18mm), unless you asking for wider angle <18mm like 10mm or 12mm.
The Tamron 18-250 is a wide anlge telezoom lens. :)
It is not bad, great for travel use, very convenient. :thumbsup:

welcome to pentax forum. :)

sigma 10-20 or pentax 12-24 will do. there are probably some other but these two are my prefered choice. another wide angle lens you can consider is the fisheye 10-24.

btw, what wide angle shot you are taking:- landscape? buildings? sunset/sunrise?

Planning to use it to shoot landscape mostly.Ocassionally people like those family potraits with big family.

Seefei, roughly the sigma 10-20 will cost how much??

I think you mean zoom lens is it?
Wide angle, your 18-55 kits lens is already a wide angle lens (18mm), unless you asking for wider angle <18mm like 10mm or 12mm.
The Tamron 18-250 is a wide anlge telezoom lens. :)
It is not bad, great for travel use, very convenient. :thumbsup:

Bro Kengoh,any idea how much this tamron lens will cost me? I've been told sigma 10-20mm is the lens i shld be looking at if i need to take wide angle shots. i guess so as it matches what u saying on the 10mm or 12mm lens.

Bro Kengoh,any idea how much this tamron lens will cost me? I've been told sigma 10-20mm is the lens i shld be looking at if i need to take wide angle shots. i guess so as it matches what u saying on the 10mm or 12mm lens.

This Tamron 18-250 I think its about $660-680.
Yes for wide angle lens there's Sigma 10-20, Pentax 12-24 & Tamron 10-24 :)

Sigma 10-20 is about $750 if you get it overseas. Abt $900+ local. The local set has a 3yrs warranty and of course you get to try out the lens to make sure it is good before purchase.

Pentax price list is here for more prices :
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534146

If you are going to pay the local price (ie. $900+) for the Sigma, I'd recommend the Pentax DA15 ltd or DA 12-24mm.

Last edited:
Just enquired from OP last Friday and the price for the sigma10-20 is $890 at the moment. Was told that the warranty is 2.5yrs? :dunno:

actually i have a suggestion..
for that kinda money.. lets say a brand new 12-24..

u can actually get a sony nex3/5 and use the sweep pano..
u get something a lot wider.... hahahhaaha

Why get the sony nex3/5 when you can do panorama with any camera? You just need to do some stitching using a software.

But in body and just needing to sweep it instead if using tripod and meticulously make sure that its aligned really make pano much easier :bsmilie:

Still have LBA to cure first before BBA ;p

if u're right, why do we need wide angle lenses or even UWA?
might as well stitch right?

i really think its better with nex5, coz u get a dedicated cam and no need to swap lenses..

if u're right, why do we need wide angle lenses or even UWA?
might as well stitch right?

i really think its better with nex5, coz u get a dedicated cam and no need to swap lenses..

But sweeping the nex5 cannot take wide landscape shot with long exposure right?

But sweeping the nex5 cannot take wide landscape shot with long exposure right?

owned... btw is sweeping same as spinning? if that is the case, then you will have inconsistent "distance" unless you do tracking or "dolly"ing in a straight motion.

But in body and just needing to sweep it instead if using tripod and meticulously make sure that its aligned really make pano much easier :bsmilie:

Still have LBA to cure first before BBA ;p

You can use any moderately sharp camera lens, take multiple overlapping images and use Adobe Photoshop CS5 to automatically stitch and adjust exposure. I've done a couple of panos handheld (yes handheld!) recently and the new software is clearly better than the preceding version. You'll be amazed how seamless it is, and your jaw will drop like I mine when I played with it. Of course shooting a pano with a tripod (preferably with an L-plate) is better but once you try CS5, you will be blown away by it can do. S$119 (for student version) versus a few hundred dollars for a wide angle/Sony NX whatever is a no brainer. I've even use the 18-55mm **** (err, kit) lens on my old ir modded *istDL2 using this method and the results were a lot better than I imagined. Some more RAW processing engine has been improved...

Sigma 10-20 is about $750 if you get it overseas. Abt $900+ local. The local set has a 3yrs warranty and of course you get to try out the lens to make sure it is good before purchase.

Pentax price list is here for more prices :
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534146

If you are going to pay the local price (ie. $900+) for the Sigma, I'd recommend the Pentax DA15 ltd or DA 12-24mm.

Thks for the info! Since overseas is cheaper, perhaps it's best i get it from e-bay or see anyone selling off theirs.

The Pentax DA 10-17 any good? Price about the same as Tamron 10-24mm?