Wide angle lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarNikon

Nov 8, 2005
Rivervale
I have seen those fab landscape shots or those shots that are able to capture the whole buildings - believe these people use wide angle lenses. Anyone can recommend one, reasonably priced. I use a D70. :)

DarNikon said:
I have seen those fab landscape shots or those shots that are able to capture the whole buildings - believe these people use wide angle lenses. Anyone can recommend one, reasonably priced. I use a D70. :)

nikkor 12-24 f4

Thanks for all your advice - looks like 12-24 is the magic number :) & Thanks SoRe EyEz for all the useful links :)

DarNikon said:
Thanks for all your advice - looks like 12-24 is the magic number :) & Thanks SoRe EyEz for all the useful links :)
Hmmm, 12-24 is only the focal length which I believe is very wide and is more appropriate for Landscape as it is a wide angle lens. Picture Angle with Nikon DX format is from 99 degree to 61 degree. I believe it cost about $1600.

17-55mm is also a wide angle lens, but the picture angle is about 79 degree to 28 degree.

If you got the kit lens for your D70, the 18-70mm, the picture angle is about 76 degree to 22 degree. Hope that it is wide enough for your purpose.

The smaller the focal length, the more wide angle. The higher the focal length, the more telescopic.

DarNikon said:

u r welcome! :)

well u can take landscape pics with a mid tele lens as well. ;p someone asked me how wide is wide to me when I was looking for a wide angle, I believe it depends on how much of a scene you wanna capture and so on and so forth.

Dun buy it unless you really need it since you have already a 18mm. Is it still not wide enough for you?

Cheers~

DarNikon said:
I've been recommending this article to everyone asking abt wide angles for DSLRs. So, why not do it again? :bsmilie:

A "Super-Wide Angle" Lenses Shootout
by Jason Odell, Rick Walker and Eric Walker

Have fun reading, very good article :thumbsup:

nikon IF-Ed 18-35....for a reasonable price u get a superbly sharp lens

I find the 18-35 range very common but not sufficient in my opinion due to the 1.5 FOV crop on DSLRs.

12-24mm is the way to go! It will be the equivalent to 18-36 after the crop. And this focal length range is one of the most crucial ones especially during close distance events such as when the guest of honour arrives at the event. You can't be using a 28mm (42mm) to shoot that as the distance is so close because you will be crowding with other photographers. This is only one example.

Of course, your kit lens Wide 18mm should be sufficient, so think before you buy.

I am hoping to get a 12-24, but "money no enough". If you are getting one, go for the Nikon of you have the money.

AF-S 17-35 f/2.8
AF 35-70 f/2.8

Astin said:
Wide angle lens?:think:
Anything less than 50mm is wide ;p

Not to mention the 35-70 was a glass designed to shoot architecture in the first place :p

Status
Not open for further replies.