Wide Angle Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

snemeis

Nov 17, 2004
Hi All

Can anyone recommend a ok wide angle lens for F80 usage? I travel quite often and as such need to take some Landscapes shot.

How much will it cost? Will I be able to buy one at around less than SGD450?

Thanks in advance.

Are you looking for a fixed focal length or variable focal length lens?

snemeis said:
Hi All

Can anyone recommend a ok wide angle lens for F80 usage? I travel quite often and as such need to take some Landscapes shot.

How much will it cost? Will I be able to buy one at around less than SGD450?

Thanks in advance.

for <$450.
Hmm...I think Cathay Photo has a promo on back then abt a Tokina 19-35mm wide angle lens for $300+

Not the best of wides, but it fits ur budget.
Good wides aint cheap.

Thank you all for the replies, one small question what is the difference with the fixed or non fixed focal length. :)

snemeis said:
Thank you all for the replies, one small question what is the difference with the fixed or non fixed focal length. :)

Zoom???

I'd say get the tokina 17mm from CP for landscapes.
Don't know how much it costs now, but I think that it is on sale.

Astin said:
The Nikkor 20mm f2.8 is very good!
The 2nd hand price is abt $500+ so slightly more than your budget.

But it is really a good lens and worth the investment rather than getting other 3rd parties one, dun you think so? ;)

just buy what you can afford, a good lens and a great lens will still take a picture.
The nikkor is a good lens that is worth the investment, but not everyone has the unlimited budget to get the best all the time, I am such a person. With $500 I can get 2 lenses instead of one.

ortega said:
just buy what you can afford, a good lens and a great lens will still take a picture.
The nikkor is a good lens that is worth the investment, but not everyone has the unlimited budget to get the best all the time, I am such a person. With $500 I can get 2 lenses instead of one.

Sorry that I might sound mean. No offence really!
But for me, I would rather save up more for a better lens.

no offence taken, don't sweat it. Just posting my view for the benifit of the so called newbies that are suppose to be reading this tread.

I would want to save up for a better lens too, but for a newbie who is just starting out, I would not advise to buy expansive stuff until you decide on what you want to shoot and how you want to shoot it. After which, you can make that investment in a great lens, as XXX Boy mentioned.

eg. you buy a dedicated macro lens to shoot macro because you see all the great macro pictures in this forum and after trying to shoot macro for 6 months or more, you decide that you prefer to shoot girls, so your macro lens goes to the B&S forum and you make a loss, after which you must buy another lens for shooting girls.

See my point? Let me know if you disagree, I enjoy a good debate.

XXX Boy said:
But it is really a good lens and worth the investment rather than getting other 3rd parties one, dun you think so? ;)
Not all third party lenses are of lesser quality than the 'camerabranded' ones, the Tokina is one fine example........don't get too much fixed to only brands.....anyway, at 35mm its hard to see the differences....

HS

XXX Boy said:
Of course I agree, thats why I also got 1 myself, still loving it after all these years.

hongsien said:
Not all third party lenses are of lesser quality than the 'camerabranded' ones, the Tokina is one fine example........don't get too much fixed to only brands.....anyway, at 35mm its hard to see the differences....

HS

I need to be clear here, I did not say that 3rd party lens have lousy quality!
I still buy first party lenses for my system (all 2nd hand due to no $$$) mainly I believe in its after-sales service. I would really doubt that Sigma, Tokina, Cosina, Tamron and etc can offer professional after-sales service like those first party lens manufacturers.
After sales service meant alot to me and I believe to many other photographers here too!

ortega said:
no offence taken, don't sweat it. Just posting my view for the benifit of the so called newbies that are suppose to be reading this tread.

I would want to save up for a better lens too, but for a newbie who is just starting out, I would not advise to buy expansive stuff until you decide on what you want to shoot and how you want to shoot it. After which, you can make that investment in a great lens, as XXX Boy mentioned.

eg. you buy a dedicated macro lens to shoot macro because you see all the great macro pictures in this forum and after trying to shoot macro for 6 months or more, you decide that you prefer to shoot girls, so your macro lens goes to the B&S forum and you make a loss, after which you must buy another lens for shooting girls.

See my point? Let me know if you disagree, I enjoy a good debate.

Yeah, well-said! I agree wif you!!! :thumbsup: ;)

Well a zoom will allow you to use with a varying circumstances while a fixed focal length means you and your camera shift to recompose the scene to fit your frame.

Fixed lens are far more superior because the lens element are purposed build to suit the lens. Zoom lens elements are build to suit the varying situation of the focal length. If you decide to buy a zoom lens, go for those with a constant f/2.8 aperture as they are often more superior in the image quality and also better in their resale value.

A good range is to go from 17mm to 35mm, Sigma, Tokina produced very good lenses for Nikon SLR. The nikon lenses are way too expensive for my taste where the quality is only marginally better.

nikkor 18-35 /3.5-4.5 ED

Status
Not open for further replies.