Wide angle lens recommendations

instinctloh

Nov 25, 2008
Guys,

I urgently need some recommendations for a wide angle lens ideally with some zoom capability for portrait and landscape.

This will be my walkabout lens for my travelling use.

Currently am using Sony a55.

I have 2 lens in mind but not sure if is ok to get it as really am in a noob stage.

Sal 16-80

Another one

Sal 1650

The 2nd lens I love it cos of its f2.8 but of the zooming capabilities not sure if 50 16-50 is sufficient.

Need some enlightenment on this.

Appreciate that. Thks

Guys,

I urgently need some recommendations for a wide angle lens ideally with some zoom capability for portrait and landscape.

This will be my walkabout lens for my travelling use.

Currently am using Sony a55.

I have 2 lens in mind but not sure if is ok to get it as really am in a noob stage.

Sal 16-80

Another one

Sal 1650

The 2nd lens I love it cos of its f2.8 but of the zooming capabilities not sure if 50 16-50 is sufficient.

Need some enlightenment on this.

Appreciate that. Thks

Nobody except yourself know if that range is enough for you. Some people can made do with just 24mm maximum focal range, while others needed 200mm. You need to try up with your 18-55mm and see if that range suits you. If not, then you will not be happy with the 16-50mm.

Why not rent both them from a camera rental shop and try them urself? lens preference is very subjective. person-to-person point of view.

If you have been using a lens on your camera sometime now, assuming it is the kit lens, you can generally tell what you prefer based on how you use the kit lens and go from there. Everyone works differently, if you don't shoot any shallow DOF photos or low light photos with relatively fast shutter speed, you won't need the fast lens. If you don't shoot anything longer than 55mm you probably would not miss 50-80mm range. So on so forth, it depends on you and you alone.

if you narrowed on these 2 lenses, i would suggest 16-50 but you need a converter just incase you want to capture long distance subjects...

denzelwng4 said:
if you narrowed on these 2 lenses, i would suggest 16-50 but you need a converter just incase you want to capture long distance subjects...

There is a function for digital zoom in the A55. Go into the menu and look for "smart teleconverter"

Oh last question.

Assuming zooming is not an issue, which is a better choice?

Beside Sony lens, any lens like sigma or tamron to recommend?

Oh last question.

Assuming zooming is not an issue, which is a better choice?

Beside Sony lens, any lens like sigma or tamron to recommend?

Better in what sense? Both a good lenses.

If you let me choose, I would choose the 16-50 for the fix aperture (and at f2.8 it is a fast lens), but that is me.