Wide-angle lens recommendation

Erickson

Aug 31, 2008
Hi guys, I'm new to Nikon~
Just wanna ask am I able to get a good WA with the budget of <$700??
Thx thx pls advice~ :):)

Your best bet would probably be the second market, look under Buy and Sell and "camp" there. Third parties only: Sigmas, Tamron & Tokina. Brand new, all of them seems to be above your budget. You can even more forget about Nikon, second hand alone about $800 and above.

For FX or DX?

For a full-frame 35 mm camera with a 36 mm by 24 mm format (FX) , WA is defined from 24-35mm

DX is 18-24mm more or less factored in the cropped..

Or are u referring to UWA instead?

If ur willing to spend a little more, you can get the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 lens. It is cheaper on the 2nd hand market. I got mind 2nd hand and it is a fantastic lens. Sharp!

My only qualm about the 11-16 is the short zoom range. I used to own the Tokina 12-24 f/4 previously, and I liked the zoom range, but not the sharpness wide open.

How much did you get your Tokina 11-16mm from the 2nd hand market? I saw that Artworkfoto.com is selling a brand new grey set at SGD900 but the prices in the B&S section are ranged from $800 to $900. Most of them are without warranty already :confused:

If ur willing to spend a little more, you can get the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 lens. It is cheaper on the 2nd hand market. I got mind 2nd hand and it is a fantastic lens. Sharp!

My only qualm about the 11-16 is the short zoom range. I used to own the Tokina 12-24 f/4 previously, and I liked the zoom range, but not the sharpness wide open.

How much did you get your Tokina 11-16mm from the 2nd hand market? I saw that Artworkfoto.com is selling a brand new grey set at SGD900 but the prices in the B&S section are ranged from $800 to $900. Most of them are without warranty already :confused:

I got mine at $820 2nd hand. I've bought many 2nd hand lenses, and if you know how to check, there should not be any problems... but I also know of others who would always buy new.

Anyway, grey sets are fine too... just check that they would give you a shop warranty.

Hi Geraldkhoo,

I see. Hmm, the $900 deal offered by Artworkfoto.com is quite attractive although it is a grey set but with 1 year warranty by them. :think:

a second hand well maintained 3rd party uwa zoom can be had for a very good price

Hi Geraldkhoo,

I see. Hmm, the $900 deal offered by Artworkfoto.com is quite attractive although it is a grey set but with 1 year warranty by them. :think:

You can get a local warranty new set for around 930 to 950. And I think warranty is 18 months? can't remember well..

For FX or DX?

For a full-frame 35 mm camera with a 36 mm by 24 mm format (FX) , WA is defined from 24-35mm

DX is 18-24mm more or less factored in the cropped..

Or are u referring to UWA instead?

Hi, I'm waiting for D7k to release.
Looking a good lens for it but I'm quite lost in this new Nikon world...

It's a DX? What's the difference btw?

Hi, I'm waiting for D7k to release.
Looking a good lens for it but I'm quite lost in this new Nikon world...

It's a DX? What's the difference btw?

DX = APS-C sensor format camera with 1.5x crop.
FX = Fullframe sensor format camera.

oh okie which means that D7k is a DX....
Okie.. Up to $1k budget, any recommendation??:):)

thx for all who advice, sincerely~

oh okie which means that D7k is a DX....
Okie.. Up to $1k budget, any recommendation??:):)

thx for all who advice, sincerely~

go for tokina 11-16mm cost abt 900+ new.

quite a good review . . . tried it and the feel is good. Love it. :)

thread title edited,
please use more search friendly phrase, it will help others in further.

Last edited:
Tried...

Nikon 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 AFS

Picture_0017_250x200.jpg

and

Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 DX (N)

Picture_0027_250x200.jpg

Love them both..Tokina is a better choice for budget user...

fellow CSers...

from bro gerald
"I've bought many 2nd hand lenses, and if you know how to check, there should not be any problems"

what should we be checking when buying a 2nd hand lens?

thanks in advance